blank screen when attempting gpu driver installation

Hi, I am running out of ideas and have searched the web with no luck.

Couple days ago my son was playing minecraft and he says the monitor suddenly turned blank. After a couple hard reboot I was unable to get into windows10 all together so I thought it might be a virus and reinstalled windows. Everything is fine until I update my gpu driver and every single time the monitor will turn blank like there is no signal to the monitor. If I just leave it to run with ms basic display adapter everything is fine, I can and I can use chrome etc. Problem is I want to use Blender but it won't run unless I install amd driver. My card is AMD HD7700. I am at a lost here. If the gpu is the problem why would it work with microsoft generic driver? Obviously if I can afford a gpu I'd buy one and try it but I wanted to be absolutely sure it is the gpu untill I spend the money. A gtx 1030 is the one I would be getting if it comes to that.

Help, please. What is going on?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Ok I will try that now. Thanks!

Edit

That didn't work and I used DDU to uninstall old driver first just in case. What is going on? Is it possible that ms default driver isn't putting stress on it but an official driver would even though it's not doing anything else other than installing the driver?

Edited by leafer

In such a case, get a hold of a USB stick with any modern Linux on it and BOOT it.

If it runs fine in Linux with Software Rendering the card is likely OK and the reason is to be found in the WinOS settings.

Are you sure your monitor's Refresh rate is on par with what the driver wants ? That caught me in the past a few times with certain monitors, cables and cards.

If the driver wants 75Hz but your Monitor only does 60Hz you will get a blank screen as soon as the OS takes over while booting, very likely SHORTLY before the login screen appears.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

In such a case, get a hold of a USB stick with any modern Linux on it and BOOT it.

If it runs fine in Linux with Software Rendering the card is likely OK and the reason is to be found in the WinOS settings.

Are you sure your monitor's Refresh rate is on par with what the driver wants ? That caught me in the past a few times with certain monitors, cables and cards.

If the driver wants 75Hz but your Monitor only does 60Hz you will get a blank screen as soon as the OS takes over while booting, very likely SHORTLY before the login screen appears.

Hi. my monitor only does 60hz but how do I config the gpu driver to match it? Also, I'm searching how to run linux on usb so thanks for that.

That a good question, I have no idea to how to tell a driver to use 60Hz RR before the system has booted.

You can try to boot SafeMode and set it in there, that might work, maybe not, haven't tried myself yet.

For Linux on USB, there are many ways to do it, I prefer SARDU from sarducd.it . It is maybe not the easiest one to understand but works really well.

Unetbootin is another great tool, much more commonly known too.

here's the google output:

"""ubuntu on usb stick install"""

To get started:

Download Ubuntu image: releases.ubuntu.com.

Download UNetbootin: unetbootin.sourceforge.net. For Ubuntu, install it from Software Center.

Plug in the USB stick.

Start UNetbootin, and burn the .iso image into USB.

unetbootin is available for Win, Linux and macOS iirc.

btw... use USB2.0 stick with 16GB or less, usb30 often bugs and bigger than 16gb also often bugs. take an ordinary 4-8gb 2.0 stick and be safe

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi. I already downloaded rufus and linux mint cinnamon and it's in the process of installing to the usb now.

The thing with the refresh rate is this blank screen thing happened two days ago while my son was playing minecraft as he has done many times with no problem. However, I have been having problem with this monitor briefly going blank intermittenly for several years now but up until two days ago, the problem was never more than a few seconds long so I thought it might be the cable. I changed the cable yesterday but that wasn't it. After that I was sure it was the monitor so I bought a used monitor but the problem persisted. You can imagine my horror when you only have enough to spend on one thing. lol

There are several threads on this problem but their solutions did not help me.

"If it runs fine in Linux with Software Rendering the card is likely OK and the reason is to be found in the WinOS settings."

If it's not too much trouble what os settings are you talking about?

Ok it cannot boot up linux. It only got as far as the linux logo screen with a booting in 8 seconds count down then the monitor turned black then it lit up again with that blank screen.

The OS setting would be Hz.

Try another card or carry your screen to a friends home and test it with his rig/laptop.

So you fixed it ??

64Hz is very odd, never seen that value before.

How is your monitor connected ? VGA DVI HDMI or DisplayPort ?

If you can, try another connection with a different kind of cable.

Also, if your Monitor has an *.inf file, install it so Windows knows the specs of your device. It will then NOT switch to values that are not compatible.

But to keep it simple, carry the monitor and/or PC to a friend next door and see what is broken. One needs spare parts to change the device in question - aka see where the error resides. If you cannot do so it will come down to guessing.

No I have not fix it. I just tried installing the driver just in case but still the same.

It's connected with hdmi cable. I'll try my old vga cable now and let you know. The 64hz is the only option available and I thought was weird too. I don't have any friends unfortunately and most people here are on smart phone anyway.

1.thumb.jpg.ebbafa1706baac4c7c5864ecbdd8c463.jpg

• 1 month later...

In case anyone was wondering what caused this weird problem where my monitor intermittently losing signal for a couple years then one day windows decided to default to MS basic display driver. The refresh rate stuck at 64Hz and unable to update driver whether old or new.

The problem was the GPU and I assume it was slowly dying. Google didn't come up with anything either.