** Leaving Drydock! Forrestal Class Update **

Cobra847

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mighty CV-59, Heatblur Forrestal Class carrier leaves drydock for the first time!

While the art team begins the texturing process, we'll be bringing her systems and functionality online. The Heatblur F-14 project includes the free DCS addition of the Forrestal, Ranger, Saratoga and Independence Forrestal class carriers amongst other free included content.

Heavily WiP! :)

Cwl3YUF.jpg

2XfRyNb.jpg

LLXYLWD.jpg

peIt33v.jpg

Would sure be nice to get some new WIP teaser shots about this :bounce:

(No pressure... just asking :D)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Man, I wish it were possible to have the Kennedy too but that would require a whole new model, it's just too different from the Forrestal to slap a 67 on it and call it a day.

Will we still be able to have the other ships in the Forrestal class to effectively give us 4 active Forrestal class carriers at a time?

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

• 4 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this for sure!

I have a quick question though. I'm planning to buy the F-14 in the summer sale, do I have to buy the F-18 module as well to get a really good carrier experience while we wait for the Heatblur carriers?

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Really looking forward to this for sure!

I have a quick question though. I'm planning to buy the F-14 in the summer sale, do I have to buy the F-18 module as well to get a really good carrier experience while we wait for the Heatblur carriers?

Thanks!

The Stennis is the default carrier in the game, it's functional but not what I'd call a 'good' experience. You do not need to buy the F-18 to use the Stennis.

The Nimitz will be a separate full featured module that you'll have to pay for, developed by ED.

The Forrestal is a free add on for the F-14 developed by Heatblur that will come at some point in the future. While not as full featured as the Nimitz, it's hoped that it will be a significant improvement over the Stennis. You will not need to own the F-14 to use the Forrestal.

How the Forrestal is implemented is how ED should have handled the Nimitz since the Nimitz is behind a paywall, I cannot use it on my public server(or forced to lose 50%+ of my player base or more), it's a real shame, Bravo Heat Blur!

ED have taken that concern onboard and are coming up with a solution; it'll be ok :thumbup:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. The F-18 page in the ED store says the following:

"Being an aircraft carrier capable aircraft, our Hornet also comes with the most detailed aircraft carrier ever created for a PC game. Catapult from the "boat", strike a large assortment of targets that only DCS World can offer, then "call the ball" and land on the carrier."

That states that the "most detailed aircraft carrier ever created for a PC game" "comes with" the F-18 module. That definitely implies that to use the carrier described you must buy the F-18 module.

Is that incorrect? If so they really need to fix the store page. I would be flaming mad if I bought the F-18 module and didn't get a major carrier upgrade when the description says I would.

More importantly this may be costing Heatblur sales! If I didn't have a strong preference for the F-14 there is absolutely no question that I would have bought the F-18 between the two because I want that carrier that it "comes with". Hell I almost decided to buy the F-18 instead of the F-14 on that bases when I DID have a strong preference for the F-14.

Not trying to start a war, I just want to understand.

Edited by TripRodriguez
fixed punctuation

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. The F-18 page in the ED store says the following:

"Being an aircraft carrier capable aircraft, our Hornet also comes with the most detailed aircraft carrier ever created for a PC game. Catapult from the "boat", strike a large assortment of targets that only DCS World can offer, then "call the ball" and land on the carrier."

That states that the "most detailed aircraft carrier ever created for a PC game" "comes with" the F-18 module. That definitely implies that to use the carrier described you must buy the F-18 module.

Is that incorrect? If so they really need to fix the store page. I would be flaming mad if I bought the F-18 module and didn't get a major carrier upgrade when the description says I would.

More importantly this may be costing Heatblur sales! If I didn't have a strong preference for the F-14 there is absolutely no question that I would have bought the F-18 between the two because I want that carrier that it "comes with". Hell I almost decided to buy the F-18 instead of the F-14 on that bases when I DID have a strong preference for the F-14.

Not trying to start a war, I just want to understand.

Well, if we want to be pedantic about it, the release of the Hornet gave us the Stennis, which is the most detailed carrier that's ever been in DCS, and was an upgrade. (Just go look at the poor Vinson.) The Forrestal wasn't even announced by the time the Hornet was announced. However I don't think this is best place to get answers about the Hornet's features. The Hornet thread might be a better option for such an inquiry.

Making a ramp-start with more than one AI wingman on the Stennis always leads to a taxi collision between 2-3. I somewhat doubt that ED is going to change the spawning on the Stennis anytime soon, so a fully Tomcat compatible Forrestal cannot come soon enough.

collision.thumb.jpg.df9ef9cb5fd535bd39b7ec5ad0f6200c.jpg

My guess is we'll see the Forrestal some time after the Nimitz module is released, so HB can take advantage of any new technology developed for the new carrier.

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

• 4 months later...
Will the Forrestal come with custom deck vehicles and if so, will they be able to be placed via the mission editor?

Based on previous posts, yes.

"Continued work on the Forrestal class and associated assets; including deck cranes and other vehicles. We’ve begun with the very basics; by trying to perfect the look of our carrier deck. See screenshot below!

...and much much more."

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3612905

Û re

Based on previous posts, yes.

"Continued work on the Forrestal class and associated assets; including deck cranes and other vehicles. We’ve begun with the very basics; by trying to perfect the look of our carrier deck. See screenshot below!

...and much much more."

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3612905

Thanks Airhunter...don't know how I missed that, great to hear!

Well, seeing how the ED Super Carrier may still be a ways off, the Forrestal will be great to have.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

• 6 months later...

At guess its been all hands on deck for the SC integration. Plus i read that the HB team have been having to deal with covid issues.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).