ICLS - Dialing it in

captflyby

The video of using the ICLS is great, but specifics are not given.

Everyone just seems to "know" that the Stennis carrier ICLS frequency is "channel" 10.

Now here's the common sense that is not answered...

I flew to Al minhab.

Has 2 runways: 27 and 9

BOTH have ILS

Runway 9 ILS frequency is 110.700

But the ILS only offers "channels"

Where is the cross referencing between all the ILS frequencies already out there and the ICLS system just implemented with channel entry only?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

The video of using the ICLS is great, but specifics are not given.

Everyone just seems to "know" that the Stennis carrier ICLS frequency is "channel" 10.

Now here's the common sense that is not answered...

I flew to Al minhab.

Has 2 runways: 27 and 9

BOTH have ILS

Runway 9 ILS frequency is 110.700

But the ILS only offers "channels"

Where is the cross referencing between all the ILS frequencies already out there and the ICLS system just implemented with channel entry only?

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

The hornet doesn't have ILS. just ICLS. ICLS has channels just like tacan, not frequencies.

ICLS is just for carriers. ILS is for airports and the DCS Hornet does not have the receiver for this. Discussed in many other threads.

For the carrier's ICLS channel, it is specified by the mission designer in the Mission Editor. He/she should indicate it in the briefing page, for good measure.

Edited by Jack McCoy
Specified "DCS" Hornet

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Thanks guys. Makes sense. Only one carrier, only one channel needed.

The exact channel for the ICLS is set in the Mission Editor by whomever has created that mission.

My suggestion is to check the briefing with each different mission to fly to find the correct frequency for the Carrier you are flying the approach to.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

It is not correct, that the Hornet does not have an ILS receiver.

Check this:

Edit: "Jetstream" is one of the best documentaries out there regarding the Hornet by the way - full playlist here:

Those are Canadian CF-18s. We have a USN F/A-18C without ILS.

Even the one we have with the Canadian skin?

Yes, because that is just a skin, not a complete redesign of systems. ED has stated from the beginning that they are modeling a USN 2001-2005'ish F-18C Hornet. They even stressed that when people were asking for changes to the Hornet to correspond with the different skins and ED's reply was that it was a skin only.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Some DCS developer included in an answer to me that 'capture ILS' (which is 'ILS')

"Autopilot coupling is possible (not yet implemented) using the VEC option."

It's coming.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I don't know why this is so hard to comprehend. The DCS hornet is the US Navy's version of the Hornet. The US Navy's version doesn't have ILS. It's that simple.

not quite

(not yet implemented) means it is coming

ICLS with VEC coupling

Me thinks ICLS stands for ICarrierLS

and

ACLS for Automatic Carrier Landing System (prob)

in a academic doc about ACLS

"The United States Navy currently has only one aircraft type that is capable of fully automatic carrier approaches using the ACLS. This aircraft is the F/A-18 Hornet." (2007)

F/A-18A-D Hornet Current and Future Utilization of Mode I Automatic Carrier Landings

http://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1356&context=utk_gradthes

Several miles from the deck all F/A-18 fly-by-wire systems are coupled with the Carrier computer

over the data link the F/A-18 is then fully hands off guided down the glide slope to the deck

is what happens (can not wait)

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I think Wags wrote somewhere that they might consider adding an ICLS sender station so we can place that next to runways - but this probably will have low to no priority in the early access process, but we might expect it when all the major work has been done.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

From the man himself

Hi guys, a few notes:

1- To be an authentic USN Hornet, we have no plans for ILS, only ICLS.

2- Doing in IFR approach using an offset TCN or placing a wypt on the runway threshold is quite easy. I'll try to do an academic video of this.

3- Later, when resources allow, we'll see about adding an ICLS ground station option.

Thanks and have fun!

Wags

From the man himself

This is what IvanK ED Testers Team wrote

“ .. Autopilot coupling is possible (not yet implemented) using the VEC option. .. “

notice “ .. yet .. “

ACLS should be implemented for the F-18, would make for great fun,

and all kinds of people would be able to land on the deck like landing a Cessna instrument rated.

• 1 month later...
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217594

ICLS added to most of the airfields on the Persian Gulf..

Just want to say i just tested the mod, and I was able to do an ILS landing at dubai intl RWY 12L: ICLS ch. 11, TACAN ch. 38X.

I had the ILS cross on the hud all the way during landing.

Thanks to the person who made the mode it is a nice feature ;-)

We will not. Magic Carpet came well after the Lot 20 bird modelled in DCS.

Don't care, we want the magic carpet.

• 2 years later...

I am a novice still in DCS, but OK with FSX. I taught ILS CATII/III to airline pilots. With only a single INS on board the F/A 18C, there should be cloud base and visibility limits specified. Airliners certified for CAT II/III must have triple IRS/INS coupled with the autoflight system. Also Full Flaps were deployed only when sure of making the runway. In our carrier Full Flaps landing, we still have full flaps going 'Bolter', or as per SOP, open full power to go around in case the arrester cable snaps. But for carrier take off we have only Half Flaps.??Still learning. Thanks.

Edited by vishkar

3 hours ago, vishkar said:

I am a novice still in DCS, but OK with FSX. I taught ILS CATII/III to airline pilots. With only a single INS on board the F/A 18C, there should be cloud base and visibility limits specified. Airliners certified for CAT II/III must have triple IRS/INS coupled with the autoflight system. Also Full Flaps were deployed only when sure of making the runway. In our carrier Full Flaps landing, we still have full flaps going 'Bolter', or as per SOP, open full power to go around in case the arrester cable snaps. But for carrier take off we have only Half Flaps.??Still learning. Thanks.

What is your actual question there?

Cloud base and visibility limits as per civilian air traffic doesn't really apply to military aircraft, and if it's a CASE I, II or III has very specific visibility limits. And yes: full flaps all the way in landings, as soon as you dirty up in all of your landings, no matter the CASE, also half flaps for takeoff, that is correct.

And yes: in a CASE I waveoff or bolter you stay dirtied up with full flaps and re-enter the break, in a CASE III it is a bit more complex and sometimes you can be asked to retract flaps and/or gear to conserve fuel (to the best of my knowledge).

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

15 hours ago, vishkar said:

I think you're confusing Cat III with Case III.  They aren't the same. 

In the first place, airliners do not need to have triple INS or IRS systems for Cat III.  I fairly routinely do them in 737s with only 2 IRSs.  On an autoland monitored by HUD, we're good down to 30ft / 400RVR.

Case III to the Navy just means a non-visual approach pattern; a long straight-in approach to the boat using the ICLS / ACLS.  Autoland with ACLS may or may not be used - my understanding is that it's usually not - but that's a moot point as we don't have it modeled in DCS.

And there are approach mins:

5sHiW.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the context is not entirely  understood here. But as @Stearmandrivercorrectly stated CAT III and CASE III are far from the same. 

But let’s get factual. CASE3 is a procedure designed to guide you from the marshal stack to the minimums, it’s as simple as that. 
however at the minimums you have options, compared to Commercial operating minima. 

At 3/4 mile you get told to call the ball. By who the LSO ? NO by the approach controller. Something many people seem to misunderstand. You will then call the ball as a pilot (if visible obviously) and then the LSO will reply with roger ball etc. When visible with the ball FLY THE BALL, and ignore the approach symbology.

now if you can’t see the ball at 3/4nm you say “Clara ship” because you can’t see anything, you’ll get 1 of 2 replies from paddles

1) paddles contact
2) continue
If 1, then paddles will give you a talk down. If you get the ball somewhere in the pass then say “ball,” but paddles will still talk you down
If 2, then proceed to the published minimums. If along the way you see the ship and IFLOLS, call the ball. *Or* if along the way paddles sees you, they’ll call paddles contact and then talk you down.

Paddles could give a 99’ taxi lights on call to help the LSO to see you. 
hope that clears stuff up a bit. 

Edited by Pieterras
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2