'Red Mist' In Rift at Night

Johnny Dioxin

Are any of you seeing any extra red in the lenses during night missions?

I flew a number of missions at night in 1.5 - recorded and uploaded at least two - and never had this issue.

In the current 2.5 version I flew an Su-25T tutorial mission (no NVG) which is in almost complete darkness except for the few lights from building windows and the red dot syndrome everyone was talking about after Rift was first released is really bad - the worst I've ever seen it (and I've never had it bad at all prior to this - on either of my headsets).

Was wondering if this is a general thing or is just my headset.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Ah the infamous red tint. There is a tool you can get from Oculus support called Spud to remove it, but use it at your peril. Technical name for the tint is Mura. It is where the pixels stay switched on but do not go to true black.

I think spud tool tells the pixels to switch off.

I have it around the edges, but a line across the very centre of the vision is black. Makes it very hard to see stars through the fog.

I always ensure I have a light source at night, either moonlight or daybreak.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Yes, I'm fully aware of what it is and what can be done if one is prepared to take the risk.

The point I'm making - and what I'm asking here - is that this has never been an issue for me in the past (had a headset for over 2 years - 2 headsets, in fact) and it was never present in 1.5 noticably enough, but in 2.5 it is very severe.

So, as in the OP, I am asking if others have noticed the same. No point in playing around with SPUD if everyone else has the issue, too. Besides which, I would only use SPUD if advised to do so by Oculus support - then they can take the hit if it causes further issues.

A DCS pilot on the Oculus forum has confirmed he has it as bad as I have in 2.5

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I barely have time to fly never mind test but the red tint is not something I have noticed and I have been flying with the Harrier using FLIR and everything seemed fine.

Does adjusting the Gamma help?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn't try that in this instance - flying at night rarely has me playing with the gamma :)

But I will have a play with it and see how it looks. Of course, the more background light, the less this effect is noticable, so if on one side you have nothing and the other a town, it looks worse on the side that has nothing - and I doubt if gamma would change that, but will deffo give it a whirl.

btw I tested the Ka-50 Night Patrol mission and it is very obvious there, too, even with all the bright displays etc around - the area between them is affected. the NVG gets rid of it, though!

Kneeboard Guides

This has now been confirmed by 3 more virtual pilots on the Oculus forum.

I don't know if it's something that can be fixed, but I thought it would be good if ED knew about this - if they don't already - so I hope this is read by a relevant person.

Kneeboard Guides