Power management during carrier practice since update

gear_monkey

Flying the bug for the first time today after doing the update.

While doing Case I and Case III practice, I immediately noticed the need for much more power with gear/flaps in landing configuration. I am having to keep the power at or very near max mil to maintain AOA and proper descent rates.

During a bolter or wave off I am having to use burner to get back into the correct alt and airspeed.

Am I nuts or anyone else notice this? Not a complaint, just wondering if it's something on my end.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

Flying the bug for the first time today after doing the update.

While doing Case I and Case III practice, I immediately noticed the need for much more power with gear/flaps in landing configuration. I am having to keep the power at or very near max mil to maintain AOA and proper descent rates.

During a bolter or wave off I am having to use burner to get back into the correct alt and airspeed.

Am I nuts or anyone else notice this? Not a complaint, just wondering if it's something on my end.

What's your total weight? So far I have not had that issue.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I've tried weights from 39.5k from the Carrier Cold and Dark mission down to 33k from some other custom Case I missions.

There is no doubt I'm having to stay right at or just below Max MIL and any slight power reduction causes a large sink rate increase.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

I've tried weights from 39.5k from the Carrier Cold and Dark mission down to 33k from some other custom Case I missions.

There is no doubt I'm having to stay right at or just below Max MIL and any slight power reduction causes a large sink rate increase.

I believe max landing weight for the Hornet is 34,000lbs. It looks like you are over or at the upper limits of max landing weight. Try landing lighter with less fuel and you will find better stability and throttle control.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I believe max landing weight for the Hornet is 34,000lbs. It looks like you are over or at the upper limits of max landing weight. Try landing lighter with less fuel and you will find better stability and throttle control.

33k for CV

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Totally agree with your logic.

The issue that caused the original concern, however, is these are the same missions/weights I've been using since the Hornet was released. Haven't had this issue until after yesterday's update.

What does unrestricted mean?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's OK to land normal "unrestricted" on the carrier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=187036&stc=1&d=1528539092

Restrictions above when over weight. NATOPS Manual

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

What does unrestricted mean?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You can land on the carrier 'normally'. Between 33 and 34,000lbs, there are certain restrictions in place as follows:

Arrestments above 33,000 pounds are subject to the following restrictions:

(1) Glideslope - 3.5° Maximum (2) Recovery head wind (RHW) -

(a) 40 knots minimum - Half flaps allowed

(b) Less than 40 knots - Full flaps only

(3) Lateral weight asymmetry - 14,500 foot-pound maximum (external pylon stores, AIM-9 wing tips,

and wing fuel)

(4) No MOVLAS recovery

Be on top the jet :)

Practice at a safe alt (ex 5000ft) . Go dirty and trim for level flight on speed.

Now do some power changes to see how the jet is reacting.

I find that if I is late on my throttle, I might overcorrect both on plus and minus and flight path is now a nice yo yo :)

To monitor your progress get the program Tacview http://www.tacview.net/

Here you can monitor all and you will soon see where you need to focus :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Didn't they tweaked something about the landing gear drag? I also noticed that I loss more speed on landings than before.

It was supposed to be a drag reduction to the gear that was getting updated. Wouldn’t cause an increase in power for landing.

I asked about it on Wednesday, and IvanK responded that the drag reduction did not make it into this update.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Retired CO of the vCSG-3's VF-103 Jolly Rogers