F/A-18C Cockpit Plans and Parts

LynxDK

Hello, are your drawings based on the NATOPS foldouts or do you have any hard dims? The reason I ask is I have a real Ext Lt panel and I want to build the backplate for it. The thing is the panel's width (as well as Gnd Pwr) doesn't conform to MS25212. So I'm using MS25212 spacing (multiples of .375") for lenght and adjusting the width so that the DZUS studs have equal distance from the panels in both directions. But if I could find hard dims it would be better.

Also note that in the bottom the backplate is a bit (probably .375") longer than usual. I've seen in both in sim and real photos.

Finaly a suggestion: under potentiometers or rotaries you want to make a white circle so that the backlight shines through the knob

Cheers,

Nikolas

PA203569.jpg

here is a couple more pictures:

f-18c_formation_lts_panel_prototype.JPG

1219061011_EXTLGHT.png.21b5813cfe8e67fc5badb2a0d6f9759c.png

Edited by Nikolas_A

HI Nikolas,

Not trying to answer for LynxDK as I'm sure he has his own methods with his incredible work.

Hopefully the images below will give you the DIMS you're looking for.

NOTE - The yellow lines represent the .375 inch spacing. My panel dims are created to include a .016 gap between the panels for spacing clearance.

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

PCTQXgL.png

aL6G9nq.png

Once the images opens, you can click on it to enlarge.

Stang out

Hello, are your drawings based on the NATOPS foldouts or do you have any hard dims? The reason I ask is I have a real Ext Lt panel and I want to build the backplate for it. The thing is the panel's width (as well as Gnd Pwr) doesn't conform to MS25212. So I'm using MS25212 spacing (multiples of .375") for lenght and adjusting the width so that the DZUS studs have equal distance from the panels in both directions. But if I could find hard dims it would be better.

Also note that in the bottom the backplate is a bit (probably .375") longer than usual. I've seen in both in sim and real photos.

Finaly a suggestion: under potentiometers or rotaries you want to make a white circle so that the backlight shines through the knob

Cheers,

Nikolas

PA203569.jpg

Thank you Mr_Burns, Hansolo and Stang :) much appreciated.

Nikolas, im going to answer the last thing about the Backlit Knobs first :)

These panels are Prototype Dummy Panels, They are not made for Backlight, therefore i didnt do the white underneth each pot and knob, because the Knobs i have mounted are just shareholders until i get real looking ones made, and they are simply mounted with a screw from behind.

However the finished product will have the backlit support, also for the knobs.

I will upload pics with the assembled Panels soon, those of you who follows me on Instagram problaly allready seen them :) https://www.instagram.com/lynx.dk/

Now to your question on the Dimensions.

I didnt use the Natops Foldouts, because as Stang have mentioned in previous post on other threads, those are far from the real thing.

However since Stang was so nice to share his drawings with dimensions, i would like to comment on those, as i own the real FIRE TEST Panel, along with other real panels from the F/A-18C, and the width in stangs drawing is not far off.

Im sorry for giving you Dimensions in mm, hope thats okay.

The FIRE TEST Panel Backplate is 82.10mm Wide.

And we know that a normal Panel like for example the FUEL PANEL which sit underneath the EXT LT Panel Backplate is 146.10mm Wide.

So taking the Width of the EXT LT Panel Backplate and retract the Width of the FIRE TEST Panel Backplate, 146.10 - 82.10, you get 64mm, if you then allow for 0.59mm between the panels to be sure you can fiy them all beside eachother, you end up with a width of 63.41 on the EXT LT Backplate.

The Height however is good, as you need space to be able to fit 2 panels above eachother.

The Switch positions on the drawings dosnt seem right tho, at first look the lewest switch position seems too low, but you dont need that, you only need the outer dimensions and the DZUS positions to make the backplate, as you can sketch the real panel ontop to get the holes right.

These dimensions also need to be measured with +-0.1mm, as the most common width of the backplate of the panels i have, is 146mm, that was just a side note :)

Also Stang, taking a further look at your drawings, reading from the yellow lines, both your FUEL Panel and your FCS Panel is ".375 inch spacing" too high, which is one DZUS Fastener too high.

Also the FUEL Panels Screw positions are off, as they are positioned differently, and only 3 is present on the real panel. Sorry, not to criticize your work, i just noticing the details :)

Anyways, if you need any more help with the drawings, let me know.

Edited by LynxDK

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Oh sorry i forgot.

The longer Backplate on the EXT LT panel Backplate is not seen on the Panels i have made, simply because that one ive missed :P Nobody is perfect ;)

So Thank you for letting me see that :) i will be sure to add that to the final Product for sure :) But the extra Backplate is the dimension of a DZUS Fastener, which is .375 inch as Stang mentioned.

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Hey LynxDK

Good eye!

The FUEL Panel is .375 Shorter / Longer depending on the block and the (IF) its got the upgraded Probe Extend switch. Several of the panels can grow or shrink depending on the Aircraft Block status, SLEP program, not to mention everyday upgrades/replace/repairs.

With my Panels, I chose to keep the longer lengths, as these would fit both the older and newer Block(s) parts. I also standardized on the switch hole diameter dimensions, light ring dimensions, text and placement dimensions, screw positions, etc.

In the real aircraft, the panels come from different vendors who use various standards depending on manufacturing and installation techniques. Its the reason why you can find the same F/A-18C Hornet with different panels and different switches. I have just tried to make it easier on the builder.

Keep up the GREAT work you're doing! All your stuff looks FANTASTIC!!

Stang out

Thank you Mr_Burns, Hansolo and Stang :) much appreciated.

Also Stang, taking a further look at your drawings, reading from the yellow lines, both your FUEL Panel and your FCS Panel is ".375 inch spacing" too high, which is one DZUS Fastener too high.

Also the FUEL Panels Screw positions are off, as they are positioned differently, and only 3 is present on the real panel. Sorry, not to criticize your work, i just noticing the details :)

Anyways, if you need any more help with the drawings, let me know.

Edited by Stang

Im sorry for giving you Dimensions in mm, hope thats okay.

I'm a metric guy too, but when working with american made parts it's best to work in inches. You get to understand what the designer was going for by rounding to the nearest decimal inch or fraction.

Thanks for the dims, I'll crosscheck them with my estimates. If you want I can measure the Ext Lt for you and scan it too, let me know

• 2 months later...
Lynx,

The completed prototype gear panel on your Instagram looks great.

What sort of price do you expect it to sell for?

Hey, sorry for the long silence.

The landing gear panel mechanism has proven to be quite challenging to do. So its hard to say right now, but i will inform when i know more.

The Panels for the F/A-18C are being fine tuned for backlight, and you will hopefully begin to see some finished and ready for sale panels in the beginning of next year. The pricing for these panels will be released soon, and people can choose if they want panel panel and backplate alone, or they want the backcasing along with it to install backlight in.

All these panels will be without any possebility to hook up to a computer just yet, but in time we will release a control box which can controll all the panels, and then the backcasing for each panel are prepared for mounting the connecting unit to this box.

But for now im afraid people have to wire some themselves.

I will also begin to add 3D printed Knobs in the shop along as they get finished. right now im waiting for some screws and nuts to build into the knobs, so they can mount easily like the real knobs do.

They will be available in Gray, Black or "clear" 3D print, so they have the possebility to be backlit if someone would want that.

The price for these knobs are in the same range as the ones im currently offering for the A-10C, which means depending on the size, its 15-30 DKK pr knob, where 30 will be for the biggest ones.

I will offer them also as packages for the different panels, or a complete cockpit :) but until all the knobs are done, they will be offerred as single pieces.

Also the Aluminum Switch top for the Launch Bar switch are made and ready, its a handturned piece with a Grub screw in each end, to mount on a regular 6mm Toggle Switch. The price for this will be 50DKK

heres a picture:

f-18_launch_bar_prototype.JPG

Pictures of the Different knobs will be shown soon, both here and on instagram :)

sorry for the late update, but here you go :), if you have any questions, let me know and ill get back to you :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Oh yea, allmost forgot.

Im also working on the cockpit plans itself, as im planning to release console drawings for the F/A-18C as i did for the A-10C, both releasing the plans for free and also offering Precut Packages ready to assemble.

What is stopping me right know is the throttle space, i havent found any decent throttle that will fit into place, and im not keen to release something that can not be finished or completed like this.

So whats going to happen there i cannot say 100% right know, i might release with that problem in mind, but maybe i can find another solution, i will get back to you guys on that. Would anyone happen to know which switches the Throttle have on the handles, and how they operate... ? :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

Oh yea, allmost forgot.

Im also working on the cockpit plans itself, as im planning to release console drawings for the F/A-18C as i did for the A-10C, both releasing the plans for free and also offering Precut Packages ready to assemble.

What is stopping me right know is the throttle space, i havent found any decent throttle that will fit into place, and im not keen to release something that can not be finished or completed like this.

So whats going to happen there i cannot say 100% right know, i might release with that problem in mind, but maybe i can find another solution, i will get back to you guys on that. Would anyone happen to know which switches the Throttle have on the handles, and how they operate... ? :)

xW7ozM4.png

6f6e9302386d62e871a06f2c9f877f94.image.350x318.jpg

Some nice pictures here of the $1000 Throttletek replica:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3262485

I'd suggest you make your plans so that they can accommodate the TM Warthog throttle, Virpil T-50, or VKB TECS.

Edited by aniron

Some nice pictures here of the $1000 Throttletek replica:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3262485

Also some pics in my Cockpit thread (linked in signature). I can take some rough dimensions of the base box, etc if useful as well.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Keep up the good work :)

Here's my take on the throttle switches and functionality:

toXvQTR.png

Uncertain about the 4 way comms switch, seems to be a custom of the regular T4 type 4-ways. From what I understand the center return mechanism for the antenna elevation switch is custom built around a potentiometer. Also the force transducer push button mechanism must be a custom shrunk down version of the F15 TDC to fit the handle geometry.

That just looks like a regular scroll wheel. From what I understand the Hornet's antenna control is return-to-centre, like the pitch bend on an electronic keyboard.

Might be something worth looking into...

4586-Lg.jpg

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
Hey LynxDK

Good eye!

The FUEL Panel is .375 Shorter / Longer depending on the block and the (IF) its got the upgraded Probe Extend switch. Several of the panels can grow or shrink depending on the Aircraft Block status, SLEP program, not to mention everyday upgrades/replace/repairs.

With my Panels, I chose to keep the longer lengths, as these would fit both the older and newer Block(s) parts. I also standardized on the switch hole diameter dimensions, light ring dimensions, text and placement dimensions, screw positions, etc.

In the real aircraft, the panels come from different vendors who use various standards depending on manufacturing and installation techniques. Its the reason why you can find the same F/A-18C Hornet with different panels and different switches. I have just tried to make it easier on the builder.

Keep up the GREAT work you're doing! All your stuff looks FANTASTIC!!

Stang out

Where do you guys find the dimensions of the consoles?

• 3 months later...

Outstanding work, Lynx!

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 1 month later...

Great work Lynx!!! I was just wondering if you are planning on releasing plans or dimensions for the F-18 on your website? like you have for the UH-1 and the F-16.

I truly apologize if it has already been asked in this thread, I must have missed it.

Jose

Great work Lynx!!! I was just wondering if you are planning on releasing plans or dimensions for the F-18 on your website? like you have for the UH-1 and the F-16.

I truly apologize if it has already been asked in this thread, I must have missed it.

Jose

Hey Jose.

Yes, the final plans will be available for download on my website when its done, for free, or you can order the parts precut from me also :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Lynx,

What is your projects current state?

No news from your side for a while.

Hey Europa.

You are correct, it has been silent for some time, also on our Instagram.

The console are still in the final design state, where we make changes and build them to check everything fits.

Left side is done, to a point where its ready for release, with the exeption of a mount of a Throttle, so for the time being, we will release it without holes for a mounting solution, however when we do have our Throttle finished, then we will add holes to the design, and those will be easy to drill by people who allready bought precut or cut the plans themself.

The right side is now in the fase of manufactoring of the first prototype, with the rails and everything. Whats missing is some mounts for the Hook handle.

i wioll show pictures soon, but all the rails and the console need to work 100% before its released, plus it has to be the most simple way to assemble it all. The f-18 consoles allready have many more parts than the consoles for the A-10, however they are smaller, but they are somewhat wierd to assemble :)

See the instagram for how fgar we come with the throttle handles.

Thank you tom, ive downloadet them and checked with our drawings, they are spot on within 0.3mm some places.

To again refer to our handle pictures on instagram, let me tell you a little about our idead with the throttes.

Intentionally it wasnt our plan to begin making Throttles and Joysticks, and it still isnt. Why, because we simply dosnt have the machinery to make high quality joysticks, and there are allready others doing way better than we would ever do.

So why have we started on the F-18 Throttle, Well because as far as i know, there are only very expensive solutions to get something that resembles the throttle for the f-18.

And i would be kinda annoyed to make a F-18 console with room for the Warthog throttle, it would mean i had to get rid of many of the side Panels.

With that said, if there is enough interest, i can make a version which will fit the Warthog Throttle, and then ille have to find another space for those panels sitting in its place, It wont be Impossible, but that would be another thread about that, let me know if there is interest in this?

To get back to our throttle, Our main idea is to offer a cheap solution for a f-18 throttle, not top quality, but at first a 3d printed version, that have all the Functions of the HOTAS. Build with affordable switches, that if they wear out, it would be really easy and cheap to replace them.

The same goes for the moving parts, if they get some wear and tear after a year or two, it will be very cheap to get spare parts for it.

And then maybe if there is alot of interest in that throttle, then we can upgrade some of the parts to high quality parts.

But, we are sill in the early development of that throttle, and we also have to test it all first, but stay tooned on instagram, where we will show pictures as soon as we have something to show :)

Thats about it for now, if i forgot anything, or you have questions, you know what to do ..... oh... and something about a G-seat soon too..... but thats also for another thread :)

Regards.

LynxDK

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instagram