VSTOL near vertical landing into wind but a/c tries to tipover.

DaveRindner

Hey guys.

So I am doing a near vertical land into wind. Weather vane nicely pointed into wind and aligned with a/c. With very slow fwd speed and vv within safe limits, as soon as aircraft touches, I retard throttle down quickly. THe a/c then inexplicably, to my anyway, starts to tip on its side. I am wondering where my control inputs is doing this. Track is attached.

Amazing sim!

AV_8B_VSTOL_recovery_intoWnd.trk

Can't look at the track but maybe look at your aircraft attitude. I think it's best to be a bit nose high on the touch down

Nozzle angle 82 -84 deg usually requires some nose high to get below 30knots in my experience

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I have the same problem. I've got the Harrier below 50 kts.

I am now practicing with the trim without moving the stick. It's a little better. But the Harrier is swaying.

Hardware: Windows 11 64Bit, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II, 32 GB Ram 3600 MHz DDR4, TUF RTX 4080 OC, M.2 SSD ADATA SX8200 2TB, Meta Quest 2, ASUS TUF VG279QM Monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog , VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base mit TM Hornet Stick und Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedalen.

Deutscher Guide zu: Mirage 2000C, MiG-21bis, F5 Tiger II, Mi-8MTV2, F-14B Tomcat, AJS-37 Viggen und Fulgabwehrsysteme

Well, after reviewing the landing , aircraft config, and a/c attitude, it appears that my VV was a little high, causing a bounce. It is the bounce, combined with ground effect turbulence and exhaust gases that is , most likely, causing asymmetric lift within GE. Assuming that GE turbulent air flow is modeled.

Optimal a/c attitude I am striving for, at moment of touchdown, to avoid bounce, is;

Fwd KIAS < 10 kn relative to landing area. <3 on ship. Ideal is between .1 and 1 kias

VSTOL Master Mode aircraft tail & wing HUD symbol " -^- " is on 0 pitch , aligning the bicycle gear for 2pt td.

VV <=1 m/s

Flt path " -o- " little lower then 0 pitch ladder on td aimpoint.

A/C heading such that weather vane is aligned into wind.

Gross weight: Stores expended, allowing bring back of AIM-9M X2, GAU-12, TPOD, DECM pod, wing tanks empty, rds <100

TOT fuel: < 1000 lbs.

H20: <400