A-10C FMS/CDU from EBay

Fusedspine33

Hello, I found a Rockwell Collins FMS/CDU keypad on EBay and it is very similar to the A-10C. It unfortunately has no documentation for the 37 pin connector on the rear. I thought an email to Rockwell or Korry might produce a schematic but no answers from those companies. Is there a way to determine the pin out functions. I am operating from the assumption that the pins are creating a matrix. I would like to interface the panel using an Arduino and DCS Bios. I am unfortunately an electronics neophyte. I have a multi-meter, an assumption and no idea how to move forward. Any thoughts on how to decipher the pin outs on the connector would be appreciated. Trust me I am already kicking myself for buying before researching. If anyone has interest these are still available on EBay.

8FA5404A-5F72-436F-92F6-9CDCBF835C25.thumb.jpg.02aec8f66e08459b2b36d45d955e341d.jpg

42561D44-01F1-435C-9567-9F07C1436AD1.thumb.png.7ab9767c5c53ff1bf79a84618d1cc6c4.png

Fusedspine33 it may be the similar pinout as this; https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2958104&postcount=109

If the pinout is not the same then IMHO there is no other alternative than using a multimeter with sound for continuity. That's what I did. Take one pin, connect it to the multimeter, then press a button and run the other pin of the multimeter until you hear a sound. If nothing try next pin. It's tedious but my experience was that you couldn't see too much from the PCB and it takes a little delicacy to take it apart.

If the pinout holds same or similar matrix it can be interfaced with DCS-BIOS; https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3236594&postcount=159

Cheers

Solo

Edited by Hansolo
Noticed it has an ON-OFF switch which mines doesn't have

Thank you for your responses.

Blackey, before I posted, I googled part numbers, combos of part numbers and tried the manufacturer web sites and sent them emails. No luck. Not sure why searching here didn’t find HanSolo’s posts. The last thing I wanted to do was throw myself to the wolves by saying I bought this cool paperweight please help me.

HanSolo thanks for pointing to your previous thread. That picture of your device looks very similar.

Thank you for your responses.

Blackey, before I posted, I googled part numbers, combos of part numbers and tried the manufacturer web sites and sent them emails. No luck. Not sure why searching here didn’t find HanSolo’s posts. The last thing I wanted to do was throw myself to the wolves by saying I bought this cool paperweight please help me.

HanSolo thanks for pointing to your previous thread. That picture of your device looks very similar.

Don't worry Fusedspine33. No harm in asking for assistance. People will answer if they can :-) If the pinout doesn't match with yours and you need some guidance on how to figure out the pinout just let me know.

Cheers

Hans

Excellent Sir. I went with DCS-BIOS over RS485 as per post 159. If you don't want to do too many panel just use USB interface for the code. The RS485 can be a little tricky although I have had relatively few problems with it.

With regard to flying the potentiometer I accidently applies full current to the potentiometer. I should have used the Arduino to read the value instead. It happens :cry:

Cheers

Hans

Hello, I found a Rockwell Collins FMS/CDU keypad on EBay and it is very similar to the A-10C. It unfortunately has no documentation for the 37 pin connector on the rear. I thought an email to Rockwell or Korry might produce a schematic but no answers from those companies. Is there a way to determine the pin out functions. I am operating from the assumption that the pins are creating a matrix. I would like to interface the panel using an Arduino and DCS Bios. I am unfortunately an electronics neophyte. I have a multi-meter, an assumption and no idea how to move forward. Any thoughts on how to decipher the pin outs on the connector would be appreciated. Trust me I am already kicking myself for buying before researching. If anyone has interest these are still available on EBay.

Thanks for posting this! I just bought one off ebay. I think this would be pretty easy to adapt to an Arduino Mega /w DCS-BIOS. As I get to it, I'll post info.

Not sure I get your question Deadman. Hans post allowed me to decipher the one I bought, which I posted for the community. When I finish getting it implemented I will update again. There maybe more types of faceplates that come up for sale on eBay that could be added to this thread to help others in the future.

Hans Has posted how to trace switch connection so it does not matter if some one purchases the same CDU panel or a different one off of the bay. He has all so along with GS Rain solved most if not all switch programming or function problems for example the TACAN Panel. You guys don't need to do the experimentation just check out his thread he even has posted the Arduino Sketches It is the single best resource for panel implementation I have seen.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Here is my progress with the panel. I received it from ebay and noted the back has a standard DB37 connector. These cables are common and were used in old PC networking equipment. So I bought one off Amazon.com and cut the end off and soldered Dupont ends on each of the 37 wires. Right now I'm doing a pinout of each wire (note color labels) with my Multimeter. Once this is done I should be able to attach to an Arduino w/DCS BIOS. I believe I'll need to do a matrix type setup, but I haven't gotten that far yet. :)

20180812_142746.png

20180812_143111.png

• 5 months later...
Excellent Sir. I went with DCS-BIOS over RS485 as per post 159. If you don't want to do too many panel just use USB interface for the code. The RS485 can be a little tricky although I have had relatively few problems with it.

With regard to flying the potentiometer I accidently applies full current to the potentiometer. I should have used the Arduino to read the value instead. It happens :cry:

Cheers

Hans

Is there any way i can get info on how you wired the arduino. My son is having a hard time with it. He bought the Cdu off eBay the pin out is the same as yours, he has a mega, nano, and uno. He is trying to understand how to wire cdu to arduino board. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

SS6

Hello,

Have your son looked here; https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3236594&postcount=159

If that doesn't help give me a shout then I can look at it during the weekend. I am currently away.

Cheers

Solo

He has looked at this post and he still does not understand what pins go to where on the arduino board or which board to use.

Thank you so much he is going to keep working on it. We will post if we figure it out.

SS6

Super Sloth Six,

Hah I almost could decipher it myself. Sinced it worked I hadn't touched it for over almost year. Please find new pinout updated with Arduino pins. Be aware that the key press is running over RS485. You can of cause convert the sketch into a USB version.

Let me know if your son runs into troubles and I'll try my best to assist. Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Solo

C-130 CDU pinout v. 2.pdf

Super Sloth Six,

Be aware that the key press is running over RS485. You can of cause convert the sketch into a USB version.

Thank you, Thank you, this is what i thought you meant but didn't want a short circuit.

As far as converting it to USB, I am not sure about but maybe he is.

SS6