Sidewinder performance

I'm guessing this has probably been talked about quite a bit, but these sidewinders seem almost worthless. I probably have only a 25% kill ratio (just guessing here) with these things. I almost don't fire them anymore unless I'm right behind them less than 2 nm.

Any tips to increase the probability of these things?

• Like 1

I'm guessing this has probably been talked about quite a bit, but these sidewinders seem almost worthless. I probably have only a 25% kill ratio (just guessing here) with these things. I almost don't fire them anymore unless I'm right behind them less than 2 nm.

I wouldt think that missiles hit more then 30% in RL,, not if u know its coming.

Teknetinium 2017.jpg
                        51st PVO Discord SATAC YouTube

you know what guys? Im looking forward to that one day when im in the server with u hogdrivers and you cry out like babies :" fliiip, where are you with your F-15!!! We need OCA!!!" :D

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

"Imagine the reason that people hold on to

hatred so stubbornly is because if the hate

is removed, the pain will set in. Do not follow where

the path may lead. Go instead where there is

no path and leave a trail."

They never cover anyways.

i (try to) do!

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

I've been killed a couple of times by T-Frogs. :D The "he who sees first, lives longest" saying definitely applies there. I haven't tried launching an AGM-65D on an aerial target yet. Has anyone done that successfully?

Ive been shot down by a Tango Frog once..i was in an F-15..i think it was 504th Wolverine that did it! Bastard!! :D

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

That would be TARCAP, OCA is our job. ;)

OCA - Offensive Counter Air...

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

I've been killed a couple of times by T-Frogs. :D The "he who sees first, lives longest" saying definitely applies there. I haven't tried launching an AGM-65D on an aerial target yet. Has anyone done that successfully?

Just heli's. Did that a few times, but thats all its good for a2a.

If you're high, your missile will go farther.

If the guy's at corner or faster and he's turning across your nose, you likely won't hit.

If you got him under some 0.8nm, avoid off-bore shots, otehrwise they're ok.

Try to fire when he's slow (at which point aspect doesn't matter, and you can make longer range kills too, 1.5-2nm, because he's just hanging in the sky and he can't even separate himself from his flares), and if not, try to have as little angle-off-tail as possible or center the missile director (n/a A-10).

AIM-9's can be pretty effective, but they have very tight employment parameters - under about 0.6nm you can basically forget about off-bore shots in general (again, either that, or use the missile director) and beyond that you want your target to be at under 400kts, preferrably even slower.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

i love the sidewinder... i was flying with a buddy of mine in the jabog server about a year ago or something and we were minding our own business, stating that we will not fire unless fired upon. we were only armed with 4 sidewinders each. during our formation flight we were jumped by two MiG-29S. They did not employ their R-77s but they were coming at us aggressively, looking for a heater or guns kill. We split put one in a sandwich, got one with guns (as i didnt want my sidewinder to go off track and hit my buddy) and the other guy got shot down with a sidewinder by my buddy while on the run out! :D Loved that flight! A Dream!

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

Either those pilots were out of long range missiles or like you said wanted a closer kill. I would of let loose a 77 or ET phone home first.

I would have too! Thats why i was so surprised but i wouldnt let them have me or my buddy! They were part of this spanish squadron, go ask them :D

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

Ive been shot down by a Tango Frog once..i was in an F-15..i think it was 504th Wolverine that did it! Bastard!! :D

Flip

Yup, that was me. :D

Got myself a total of 15 A2A kills in that mission. It got to the stage that apart from covering Vapor (FAC) and Brewber (my wingie) over the battlefield, I was also protecting our fighters as well... so, as you can guess I was pretty smug with myself that night. :D

A total of 3 F-15's fell that night, 2 by vihkrs and 1 even falling to an R-60 from a Su-25A...... ain't that right GG. :music_whistling:;)

Got punished for it afterwards though. :doh: :lol:

On the original point though, about any AGM-65 air kills. IIRC Noti is a master at that with a lot of kills.

• Like 1

The gun is more usefull in LOMAC than the sidwinder. By the time I get into someones 6 in range to fire one Im already even better positioned to fire the gun instead. By contrast the R-73 has at least 3 times the range of it, I just dont understant this gap and the argument that its heavier to justiffy the such a huge difference. I've always had read that the advantage of the archer is much more modest IRL than that.

Its been my culture that it should be better fired from 6 o Clock as I said but in Lomac its always falls short of everything that is not flying faster than on finals to land. It can be fired frontaly but only if the enemy is flying straight at you and never turns away, be cause if he does the AIM-9 will loose range further to the point by the time I can launch it its already passing by my nose with an angular displacement rate the missile will never cope with. I'd rather use AMRAAM and Sparrows. From the rear LOMAC AMRAAM has about the same maximum range I would expect from the sidwinder (the R-73 definatly matches that) of about 2 miles, and both this missile and the Sparrow lack no agility to do hard turns (something not to be expected from a BVR missile IRL).

Thanks to the current missile fixes in BS beta Ill probbably use an all 8 AMRAAM load when 1.2 is launched. Mig drivers dont be mad at me, its the code flaws that make me do it. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

hey wolverine, you got me with an R-73 tho!

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

No, straight on definitely works, if you know what you're doing ... you can punch'em in the lips :D

And if they're slow (under 300kts in particular) and not accelerating well, shoot from any aspect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

No, straight on definitely works, if you know what you're doing ... you can punch'em in the lips :D

And if they're slow (under 300kts in particular) and not accelerating well, shoot from any aspect.

What do you mean by know what you're doing? You mean just make sure they are slow before firing straight on?

It's a real pain when they have those pesky R-73's.

Slow or if they don't see you - and shoot them anyway if they're shootig 73's at you, regardless of what missile you're equipping.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even the AI is forced to go defensive when fired on - it works much better against people though.

Let's put it this way - you can die with your missiles on your rails if you want ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]