Control setup

Greetings! I was having some computer trouble, and in the troubleshooting process, I reset windows / reinstalled. I did backup my controls before hand, but it seems that the controls aren't binding to what I had, they're defaulted. My guess is because the device ID's changed or something and DCS doesn't see them as the same controllers. Is there any way to get the controls back? I don't really want to have to remap everything...

I suppose you've saved all controller files from Saved Games/DCS/Config/Input location, right? You can see their filenames contain USB device IDs in them. And since your new Windows assigned completely new IDs to all USB devices plugged to the PC, your new DCS install cannot recognize files named with old IDs. The file content is OK, only the names are wrong.

You can try to change any single default assignment for each controller of each airplane now (so that DCS creates new files with .diff.lua extension, 'cause they don't exist yet) and then copy+paste contents of old .luas into the new ones. Preferrably using Notepad++ to avoid any problems with text layout, coding and whatnot. Will take a while, but still shorter than reassigning everything from scratch.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You can try to change any single default assignment for each controller of each airplane now (so that DCS creates new files with .diff.lua extension, 'cause they don't exist yet) and then copy+paste contents of old .luas into the new ones. Preferrably using Notepad++ to avoid any problems with text layout, coding and whatnot. Will take a while, but still shorter than reassigning everything from scratch.

No need for all that. You can just import the old profiles. I’ve done it many times.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, just go to Controls, then go to a Module, click in any box and 'Load Profile' for the device you have selected by selecting your old one.

Bit of a pain doing it for every device and module, but it's a lot quicker than editing the lua files.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I do that when the sim is updated and it tends to be corrupted each time. Don't know why, but I end up having to remap most of the controls again, including the axiis.

Intel i9-9900K processor at 4.60GHz OC

Windows 10, 64 bit

16GB Corsair DDR4 3200 RAM

Asus GeForce RTX 2080, Dual OC 8GB

27" IIyama screen at 2560x1440

Oculus Rift S

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Saitek Combat rudder pedals

Logitech G13 pad

Thrustmaster MFDs

I do that when the sim is updated and it tends to be corrupted each time. Don't know why, but I end up having to remap most of the controls again, including the axiis.

Shouldn't be a need to do it when DCS is updated. Only really necessary when you re-install Windows as it changes your device IDs so DCS thinks they are different.

Also, shouldn't have any issues doing the Load Profile technique if you are sure you are selecting the correct files. It is very easy to forget to change devices and folders between modules,