Shift Registers & MMJOY2 - A request for community help

So I have a bunch of SN74HC165 shift register boards that I got from eBay that I'd like to get up and running...

SF-BOB-11733a.jpg

The problem I'm hitting is that these boards don't seem to have the usual pinout naming convention that I've seen when looking into this subject online. I've tried and searched loads in various places but I can't find any clues as to what the pinout 'translation'might be??

The normal 5 pin MO seems to be:

GND

VCC

CS

MOSI

SCK

which would be fine if these boards were labelled this way, but what I have is:

GND (easy)

VCC (easy)

CE (wtf?)

CLK (wtf?)

SH/LD (wtf?)

SER_OUT (wtf?)

Does anyone out there have any experience using these boards with MMJOY2? Maybe someone could help a brother out and clue me in to which of these pins are which when following the usual pin naming?

I know the SN74HC165 is compatible as it's clearly documented on Github & in the program itself. Also the use and hookup of boards & chips using the 5 pin naming convention above is also documented. But what isn't is using these particular boards...

Anyone out there got the missing clues to my puzzle?? I'd be most grateful for the insight and wisdom! :)

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

You will have to heavily modify it. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4423404/re-mmjoy-mmjoy2-build-your-own-usb-controller#Post4423404

To be precise you have to at least add pull up resistors to the inputs. These pull the pin high in idle condition. On activation the pin is pulled to ground = low. The pull up resistors are necessary to keep the button state from floating, which causes unwanted button presses.

If you wish I can offer you completed 24 Bit shift regs 4021 or 74HC165 for 10€ a piece. Both are compatible with MMJoy2 and the 4021s also with Thrustmaster hardware. The 4021s can be daisychained and MMJoy2 recognizes up to 9 chips in series, so 9x8=72 buttons on 5 cables. These shift registers are really minimum footprint, the ones that can be daisy chained are 23x50x9 mm and the ones without daisy chaining capacity are 23x45x9 mm. They really fit everywhere. International shipping is 3.70€ untracked or 6€ tracked.

IMG_20180412_235449.jpgIMG_20180413_204159.jpgIMG_20180104_211447.jpgIMG_20180105_004705.jpgIMG_20180107_175342.jpg

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

You will have to heavily modify it. http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4423404/re-mmjoy-mmjoy2-build-your-own-usb-controller#Post4423404

To be precise you have to at least add pull up resistors to the inputs. These pull the pin high in idle condition. On activation the pin is pulled to ground = low. The pull up resistors are necessary to keep the button state from floating, which causes unwanted button presses.

If you wish I can offer you completed 24 Bit shift regs 4021 or 74HC165 for 10€ a piece. Both are compatible with MMJoy2 and the 4021s also with Thrustmaster hardware. The 4021s can be daisychained and MMJoy2 recognizes up to 9 chips in series, so 9x8=72 buttons on 5 cables. These shift registers are really minimum footprint, the ones that can be daisy chained are 23x50x9 mm and the ones without daisy chaining capacity are 23x45x9 mm. They really fit everywhere. International shipping is 3.70€ untracked or 6€ tracked.

IMG_20180412_235449.jpgIMG_20180413_204159.jpgIMG_20180104_211447.jpgIMG_20180105_004705.jpgIMG_20180107_175342.jpg

Nice one rel4y! Thanks for the info!

So I've been given the knowledge on how to do it myself, or a 2nd option that provides an easier solution...

I think I'm interested in giving your boards a try...may I make a few queries before I drop you a PM?

So the boards you're offering for 10€ are the completed ones in the images with 3 chips (24 inputs) and all resistors and headers in place?

Where abouts in Europe are you based?

Would it be via PayPal?

Thanks again!

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

So the boards you're offering for 10€ are the completed ones in the images with 3 chips (24 inputs) and all resistors and headers in place?

Where abouts in Europe are you based?

Would it be via PayPal?

Hey there,

I am based in Germany, so if your german shipping will be cheaper. PayPal is no problem. I have previously sold a bunch of these shift regs as DIY kits on the SimHQ forum to USA & Europe. Some people posted pictures in the thread I linked above.

Formerly I couldnt offer them soldered up and only as DIY kits, as I had to hand solder the SOIC chips and SMD components which takes forever. Now I acquired PCB stencils, solder paste and built a small reflow oven, so the process is much more time effective and I only have to hand solder the resistor networks. To answer your question the boards come completely ready to go. However I currently have no JST PH connectors left, with these connectors the boards were 12€ per piece. But they are honestly more of a hassle anyway in my oppinion as you have to crimp cables or buy ready made ones and as you can tell in my CH Combatstick mod I didnt use them as well. So the boards would come in shape of the purple one.

Glad to help

Edit: just saw your London based..

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Hey there,

I am based in Germany, so if your german shipping will be cheaper. PayPal is no problem. I have previously sold a bunch of these shift regs as DIY kits on the SimHQ forum to USA & Europe. Some people posted pictures in the thread I linked above.

Formerly I couldnt offer them soldered up and only as DIY kits, as I had to hand solder the SOIC chips and SMD components which takes forever. Now I acquired PCB stencils, solder paste and built a small reflow oven, so the process is much more time effective and I only have to hand solder the resistor networks. To answer your question the boards come completely ready to go. However I currently have no JST PH connectors left, with these connectors the boards were 12€ per piece. But they are honestly more of a hassle anyway in my oppinion as you have to crimp cables or buy ready made ones and as you can tell in my CH Combatstick mod I didnt use them as well. So the boards would come in shape of the purple one.

Glad to help

Edit: just saw your London based..

Brilliant stuff!

No JST headers - even better! :)

You have a PM, good sir.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Do you have the sheet of your boards? I need to do this thing for 4/5 4021 in daisychain but I don't see clearly the circuit and therefore where each component is connected.

Can you help me with that?

Thanks a lot!