AIM-120 for the Hornet

FistofZen

2sec/nm head-on, 3 on the beam, 4 tail-chase ... and now your pitbull counter is in your head, you just need a clock to hack ;)

I mean, a pitbull counter will be great. In the meantime I'm just gonna enjoy seeing what the 120B can do from the Hornet, or practicing my carrier technique. The rest will come in due time. In the meantime, there's plenty of meat in the existing F-18 module to digest and learn to keep most of us busy for a long time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of interesting points on this thread.

When choosing loadout, is there any advantage to choosing a Sparrow over an AIM120? In real life, I would guess that the Sparrow is lighter and cheaper. In DCS, is there a significant weight difference, or ability to make tight turns, or any other reason somebody might choose the Sparrow?

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Plenty of interesting points on this thread.

When choosing loadout, is there any advantage to choosing a Sparrow over an AIM120? In real life, I would guess that the Sparrow is lighter and cheaper. In DCS, is there a significant weight difference, or ability to make tight turns, or any other reason somebody might choose the Sparrow?

There is no reason to use Aim-7s. If you can use 120s, use 120s.

Hm i just tried it once but i shoot one at a Bear and i cant see any advantage over an Aim-7 (in current version).

I had to go pretty close to the Bear until i get the "Shoot" in the HUD.

Shouldnt the 120 be an BVR Weapon?

I will do a few tests and hopefully i did something wrong on my first try.

Any other experiences with actual BVR kills?

Oh and just a note to the whining about Updates, ED is doing a great job on this. Constantly providing meaningfull updates.

I bought the Harrier too and the F-18 is in a far superior Development Stage even if you compare the Day 1 F-18 with the current Harrier.

Edited by Delareon

In real life, I would guess that the Sparrow is lighter and cheaper.

It's the other way around actually: The AIM120 is about a third lighter than the Sparrow (335lbs vs 520lbs).

The reason the US Navy still uses the AIM-7P is because of supply I reckon: they still have a lot of them, so why not use them until they run out of them?

I'd image in practice, the AIM-7P is still more than good enough to meet realistic operational requirements.

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

In very limited testing (1v1 head on, excellent MiG29 @25k' and .9 Mach) I'm getting solid "SHOOT" at ~22-23NM with the 120b and I've had good success launching at 15-16nm with about a 60-70% hit rate. Significantly higher success than I had with the sparrow even when launching at much shorter range (only felt reasonably good about a sparrow shot at 7-8nm)

So I'm quite happy for now, I still hope ED does an overhaul on the missile drag model, and it looks like they are already working on proportional navigation, so I'm optimistic. Happy to have the 120b as it is for now, still a big step up.

It's the other way around actually: The AIM120 is about a third lighter than the Sparrow (335lbs vs 520lbs).

Thanks! I'm going to spend a bit of time this evening changing the loadout on my practice missions :D

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

In very limited testing (1v1 head on, excellent MiG29 @25k' and .9 Mach) I'm getting solid "SHOOT" at ~22-23NM with the 120b and I've had good success launching at 15-16nm with about a 60-70% hit rate. Significantly higher success than I had with the sparrow even when launching at much shorter range (only felt reasonably good about a sparrow shot at 7-8nm)

I've been doing something similar against a Blinder, but with a height advantage. In one experiment, with a closing speed of roughly 1300kn I fired one at 30nm with no cue, was able to get 'shoot' cue at 27nm and had the flashing NEZ cue at 14nm where I fired twice. The NEZ shots reached the Blinder around 10sec before the first two shots did. The shot taken from just outside the 'shoot' cue was probably a 25% chance of hitting him, but the second shot would likely have been a kill shot had the third and fourth missiles not hit him first.

I wasn't entirely sold on them when I first tried them at low level, but now I'm somewhat in love.

If you want an example of what a bad follow up on module is, try the M2000c which wasn’t capable of refueling its external fuel tanks from January 2018 until last month. Thanks razbam.

Let me just give you one of 4 letters which is the first one: V pinkiepieexcited.png

Erm, wait, I can give you the cherry on top of it with some nice links:

Su-27 FFB trim issue

Release of the Su-27 AFM

Spoiler alert v8laic37.png

It's not been fixed yet, though absolutely fundamental for anyone using a FFB stick rainbowdashwink.png

Su-33 has the same problem pinkiepieexcited.png

And to a lesser extent so does the F-15C, which's autopilot and TO trim just do absolutely nothing if (FFB.present && FFB.active) fsgrin.png

All's been reported immediately, but the bug report threads are sunk in the archives meanwhile aj-hm.png

I even do remember SiThSpAwN aka NineLine replying in one of my bug reports "Can't reproduce, closed." He used and still uses a TM WH, no FFB there, of course he wasn't able to reproduce unless he maybe still has a FFB stick somewhere in the cupboard which he wouldn't normally use anymore for whatever reason. Not meant to be offending in any way here, just my observation. Can wait another 3.5+ years if necessary, but may the wait will be over when MAC is out twilightsmile.png

I know those devices aren't availabe for ages and understand that might put any FFB issues way back on priority lists since most of us do not use it. The last FFB stick to hit the market was the Logitech G940 HOTAS in 2009 and you couldn't get it in retail stores anymore just two years later. The king though still is the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 that hit the shelves 18 years ago - bought mine in 2003 though, it still does it's job today dealwithit.png

To conclude this, there might be some issue anywhere that hasn't been fixed for ages literally, even at ED's site. But it all comes down to priority and even the best and hardest working minds can sometimes just forget things. Can't blame them. And in my case, I can disable FFB in the sim for the modules affected and run SimFFB instead to get a basic spring at least.

I think RAZBAM does a good job throwing updates at us though and they said they'd be going to put some effort in both the M2kC as well as the Harrier before bringing the next module.

Can't argue about ED. Updates every two weeks are just brilliant pinkie-approved.png

There still is one. You don't want friendly fire in a furball. But you can always throw in a sparrow with a nice STT lock that doesn't go pitbull on your mates.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Did everyone get this Aim-120?

I was on last night, no updatepilotfly.gif

showed no Aim-120 in the Load out options for A-A missiles.

maybe today?

Is there a way to check for updates in the Sim?

or is it automatic when loading?

Thanks Guysthumbup.gif

~

Which version are you using? Only the open beta was updated.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The Hornet is available in the stable and the beta branch. You can check your version number in the main menu (bottom right corner) and compare it with the numbers here: http://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

One thing is that you can fire it, another does it hit anything:smilewink:

So, did you hit the target?

Well it's kinda like the Russian missiles where you can't fire unless you lock something

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Planes: FC3, P-51, F-86, F-5E, Mirage 2000, F/A-18, F-14, F-16, Mig-19P :joystick:

ED pls gib A-4 and F-4 :cry:

Just confirming the AIM120B should be active seeking right so fire-and-forget?

Yes but only after a certain point (where it goes 'pitbull' and then uses it's own radar) - within 10nm you should be okay to cancel the lock almost straight away, further out it involves some trial and error and guesstimation. We'll obviously have a pitbull counter at some point (probably by the end of August).

Did everyone get this Aim-120?

I was on last night, no updatepilotfly.gif

showed no Aim-120 in the Load out options for A-A missiles.

maybe today?

Is there a way to check for updates in the Sim?

or is it automatic when loading?

Thanks Guysthumbup.gif

Yeah go to your start menu>Eagle Dynamics>update open beta or stable, whichever you've got

"Chops"

Now also C variant.

Asus X99 Deluxe II|Intel i7 6850K @4.2GHz|G.Skill 64GB Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz|Noctua NH-D15 and 4x NF-A14 PWM|Corsair HX850i

Win10 Pro 64 @M.2 512GB 950 PRO|DCS @M.2 250GB 960 EVO

ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC 8GB GDDR5|ASUS PG348Q - LG 25UM58 @3440x2520

Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent|TM Hotas Warthog 7.5cm ext & 3x MFD Cougars|MFG Crosswind|TrackIR 5

A-10C|AJS-37|AV-8B|BS2|F/A-18C|FC3|Mi-8MTV2|PG NE NO SY maps|Tacview.

Looks like the Hornet got all its teeth now :)

finding-nemo1.jpeg?w=450&h=360

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |