Updated 3D models AI aircraft

Lookiss

I've been away from DCS for about a year.

The 2.5 looks very nice and with the Hornet finally released and other new aircraft cooking things look very promising.

But I'm a bit disappointed to see that after so long the 3d models of many AI aircraft are still the old ones. I know there's a new SU-34 being prepped. But is there any news on the rest of the AI aircraft?

Having updated models of these does improve immersion a lot I think and expands the possibilities when creating missions in ME. I avoid those old models in missions because they make me cringe a little bit...

It would be great if ED would keep us posted on those developments... I know these things take time, but shouldn't these be a bit higher on the to-do list now after all those years?

That lockon era C-17 makes me really cringy. They'll eventually get done too. It's just a matter of time.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Even old models are good enough - definitely not a game changer and not high priority. Do you fly or just making screenshots?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I've been away from DCS for about a year.

The 2.5 looks very nice and with the Hornet finally released and other new aircraft cooking things look very promising.

But I'm a bit disappointed to see that after so long the 3d models of many AI aircraft are still the old ones. I know there's a new SU-34 being prepped. But is there any news on the rest of the AI aircraft?

Having updated models of these does improve immersion a lot I think and expands the possibilities when creating missions in ME. I avoid those old models in missions because they make me cringe a little bit...

It would be great if ED would keep us posted on those developments... I know these things take time, but shouldn't these be a bit higher on the to-do list now after all those years?

Build new or update 3D models require time, resources and personal. That old 3d models need been asigned meanwhile ED continue expand the AI assets and making news for incoming modules. Actually has a list of in progress 3D models by ED and 3rd parties.

You can see here the actual 3D in progress and released:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

Edited by Silver_Dragon

The "problem" is this is a simulator, you can't have so many things on the lower-priority because the AI Models which are used for all singleplayer stuff and if you shoot them, well, no matter how much you simulate the gun, buttlets, scatter, on your own aircraft, the way those bullets and damage are received is, logic tells me, ruined if the receiving end is 10 times less sophisticated.

This should be considered part of the weapons/gunplay "package", not some separate thing, that's the big thing I think should be reevaluated the way other aircraft get damaged is I think almost of equal importance in this kind of a simulator, half of those bullets could be missing those fuel lines for all we know!!!, with good damage and 3D modelling you would a lot more variation in damage types/combinations and I think the surivability/RTB of aircraft would increase IMO, which I think is more interesting, creates more challenge for the attacker and gives the victim some hope.

There is ofcourse debatable, whether the attacker shoots critical stuff like the engine or cockpit, if it's not modelled it'll just stop working quicker and be a dud, in modelled it might go slower at first, might do more gradual behavior, etc ... but the end result would still be a destroyed engine, a hit and a crash. So that's I think the main argument of this being considered low-priority.

I could agree that would count for "most cases", but most cases are the stuff you see on youtube are more relaxed simpler showcases IMO, what about getting into a really complicated campaign mission on purpose, an airport might be just close by, those minutes or seconds of some leftover thrust, lefover oil in hydraulics (slow leak) could be enough in some emergency landing attempt, or at least more time to get closer to friendly ground forces and eject in that area, it could also mean the difference of getting over a hill or a mountain, blocking further enemy fire.

You could say low-priority for stuff like ground clutter which seems to be a lot in the news, which I don't even complain about, It's always good having those extras.

I don't know on what kind of schedule the AI models are, I just think it's about time they get promoted up to a higher importance level, not necessairly for speed of development, but for the sake of recognizing and making sure it's part of the simulator and maintained more closely than it's been.

Just a little bit of distance, a little bit of mathematics, variations, simulation error, various factors can add up to whether a fuel line is nearly missed or cut right through so I think it should be taken seriously.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

They have been updating models 1 by 1 the whole time. They showed screenshots of a new Su-30 model not too long ago. To make high quality 100,000+ poly models while also doing other stuff is not just a "snap your fingers" sort of thing. The various models of C-130 were just recently replaced, as was the E-2. It's getting done...

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Wait a second...Su-30? Or do you mean Su-34? That's the only one I have seen screenshots of.

I agree with you that new models take time and that there are always new ones released over time...but my C-130 and E-2 models are still from 2016 and I don't think that could be called recently. Well, I don't even think they are the ones that have to be replaced as they look quite good...more like the Su-30 and Su-17.

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2