Power Nozzle Braking

DmitriKozlowsky

PNB is one of the neatest and perilous features of AV-8B. On YT vids of HarrierII short rolling land, and I noticed that upon touch down, and nozzle to max above 90 , used as a speedbrake, there is short duration gout of flame from front nozzles. The hot nozzles are rear ones channeling engine exaust. Front nozzles are cold nozzles channeling bypass airflow from the giant fan, driven by engine. So there should not be any combustion gases in cold nozzles. So what causes that flame gout?

PNB is one of the neatest and perilous features of AV-8B. On YT vids of HarrierII short rolling land, and I noticed that upon touch down, and nozzle to max above 90 , used as a speedbrake, there is short duration gout of flame from front nozzles. The hot nozzles are rear ones channeling engine exaust. Front nozzles are cold nozzles channeling bypass airflow from the giant fan, driven by engine. So there should not be any combustion gases in cold nozzles. So what causes that flame gout?

If they were using max wet thrust I guess it's possible that EGR could ignite. I don't think you are supposed to use max thrust in reverse because of EGR. Couldn't say for sure though without seeing it.

JUst to be clear. I am describing a real world effect as seen on videos on YT. Not in the sim, which I have not experienced. In YT videos , aircraft is landing in wet conditions where a/c exaust is throwing around and up steam and water spray. Perhaps that is due to re-ingestion of steam and water spray.