Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

• ED Team
10 minutes ago, RenegadeSkip said:

Hey @BIGNEWY- just read the Official Update. Thank you and the team for the update. Genuinely. Thank you. 

No problem, as things progress more and as we get closer to completion we will share even more. Just can not give time lines yet as it can not be rushed. 

thanks

• Like 9

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thank You for this report on Multicore development:

Unfortunately it's impossible for us to figure out even a ballpark for a possible ETA because we don't have the neccessary information of the complexity of the already completed and the remaining tasks. But we can try to make an "educated guess". 🙂

If I take into account the fact, that Vulkan will not come in 2021 according to the devs I suppose that the soonest real ETA would be at least half a year, but realistically more than that, maybe a whole year. Which is unfortunate, but this is life.

If this assumption is far from reality then I'll be pleased to get corrected by the devs.

• Like 1
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

On 10/15/2021 at 5:42 PM, BIGNEWY said:

No problem, as things progress more and as we get closer to completion we will share even more. Just can not give time lines yet as it can not be rushed. 

thanks

The MultiCore development report contained some long anticipated information about the future of core engine changes, I highy apprechiate it.

May I ask that...

• after this first report can we expect a regular status update (i.e. on a monthly basis) on this topic (multicore + Vulkan)?
  • what is the deployment plan, shall we wait for a full 3.0.0 total engine change, or parts of the new technology will be "tested", or injected  in the EDGE 2.7 as well (to achieve some of the gains even with the current graphic engine)?

Little off topic: the last Open Beta patch (2.7.7.14727) introduced some high quality visual changes (general lighting, water shader etc.), but they are NOT mentioned in the Changelog. If possible please tell about them in there also, they really deserve it! Well done, ED.

• Like 3
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

On 10/6/2021 at 5:16 PM, RenegadeSkip said:

ICYMI - No Vulkan in 2021. 

Ok, pity.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 10/6/2021 at 11:08 PM, St4rgun said:

It's not only about Vulkan.

I have a strange feeling (maybe I'm wrong) that the introduced new features like the new clouds' heavy aliasing is still with us, and stay with us along with many shimmering and aliasing of transparent textures because the developers run into some serious limitations with the current engine (i.e. deferred shading constraints).

During switching to Vulkan maybe they will have the possibility to solve these issues all originated from the anti-aliasing problems by switching back to forward rendering and applying MSAA, but I don't have any info on that.

If that is the case then they won't allocate development resources to iron these issues out one by one somehow when the new engine can eliminate them in a whole.

So the Vulkan development will theoretically could help highy raising the visual quality in VR, that's why we are waiting for it so much. At least we hope for that.

But we'll wait as long as we have to, just being sad to know that it won't happen this year.

Maybe next year will be luckier for us.

I think your wishes should be justified, apparently there's a complete engine rewrite going on and while it would be unreasonable to expect we get it's potential fully realized initially, there are a couple of things I would try best to take care of for good before release:

• Fixed Alt-Tab Behavior, DCS is always in the background poking over windows and it's a struggle keeping it away, behavior slightly improved but still not perfect.
  • Discharge GPU usage when Paused. Majority of GPU rendering should be suspended while the GUI keeps working ofcourse. Currently when you pause the game only game-time is suspended but not rendering, keeps ramming the GPU at 100% usage and makes the fans go crazy. That's how it is on 2 totally different PCs on my end.
  • Probably fixing +10x other smaller quirks and inoptimalities in behavior that either weren't important enought to warrant special attention or didn't had good alternatives until now.

When going over the whole game like this it's worthwhile to also touch upon the lesser areas of the engine, even the semantics and clarity that seems unimportant (but it can be a big deal for user experience) and alleviate those or completely bypass them around sort of for free as a consequence of a larger task.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

59 minutes ago, Worrazen said:

apparently there's a complete engine rewrite going on

I think ED realises pretty well by now the main problem with DCS is the spaghetti code. At some point things get so bad you can't get away with "fixes" any longer, and you just need to throw the old code in the bin and restart from scratch.
This rewrite should make ED's and the third parties' jobs a lot easier in the long run 🙂 

• Like 5
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I think ED realises pretty well by now the main problem with DCS is the spaghetti code. At some point things get so bad you can't get away with "fixes" any longer, and you just need to throw the old code in the bin and restart from scratch.
This rewrite should make ED's and the third parties' jobs a lot easier in the long run 🙂 

I'm not too sure if it's that big of a rewrite, it might really just be the CPU multi-threading, render-graph and Vulkan API, ... either way I think when it's all released we would be talking about DCS 3.0 at that point it seems.

These are already big tasks so with stuff like this there's dillema of biting too much at once so I'm not expecting that all the tiniest corners would also get a redesign/rewrite, but it would be a bonus.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I think a complete rewrite is a must at this point, especially since VR is the future and in the current iteration of EDGE, VR is basically just an afterthought.

A rewrite with VR in mind from the start, would mean dramatic performance improvements in short term, and would open up enough headroom for more effects to be added later on without dramatic performance costs. I'd think it's smarter to just rewrite the entire thing: it's a lot more work now obviously, but it will prove to be very valuable later on when they can change/add stuff to EDGE with far fewer headaches.

But then again I'm not a software engineer so this is entirely speculation on my part. It just seems to make sense, is all...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

On 7/1/2017 at 1:19 PM, joey45 said:

Probably for the 3rd revision of DCS in about 5 years time.

It is kinda scary how prophetic this post is in retrospect. 

• Like 1

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:24 PM, mhe said:

Indeed!!! 😅

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Could NVIDIA users expect any kind of performance boost from implementation of Vulkan API?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

2 hours ago, TKu said:

More a general question: Is Vulcan available trough MR or SteamVR?

Should be. The real question in that regard would be whether ED sees fit to port DCS to OpenXR so we don't have to mess around with multiple APIs (e.g. Oculus and SteamVR).

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

6 hours ago, stormridersp said:

Vulkan is brand agnostic.

I always figured it was more oriented towards AMD graphics cards and NVIDIA would run better with DirectX?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

On 11/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, mhe said:

HAHAHAHAHAAHHHAHAHHA

• Like 5

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

On 10/24/2021 at 9:11 AM, St4rgun said:

The MultiCore development report contained some long anticipated information about the future of core engine changes, I highy apprechiate it.

May I ask that...

• after this first report can we expect a regular status update (i.e. on a monthly basis) on this topic (multicore + Vulkan)?
  • what is the deployment plan, shall we wait for a full 3.0.0 total engine change, or parts of the new technology will be "tested", or injected  in the EDGE 2.7 as well (to achieve some of the gains even with the current graphic engine)?

@BIGNEWYBump...

Can we expect some kind of regular report on the backend development also, please? Just some words.

Because now everything is AH-64D related twice a week which is nice, but there could be some other interesting news also...

• ED Team
40 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

@BIGNEWYBump...

Can we expect some kind of regular report on the backend development also, please? Just some words.

Because now everything is AH-64D related twice a week which is nice, but there could be some other interesting news also...

We shared news recently for the Multicore implementation and vulkan, we are making good progress, but I would not expect any more news until we are closer to releasing to the open beta. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

23 hours ago, spacenavy90 said:

I always figured it was more oriented towards AMD graphics cards and NVIDIA would run better with DirectX?

Not specifically oriented towards or against a specific brand, but there are hardware differences between the brands because of company decisions they made regarding the scheduler.

Based on thorough testing by various people, nVidia's decision to work with software schedulers benefits them for DX11 applications but works against them for DX12/Vulkan applications because of the additional overhead. AMD decided to use a hardware scheduler for their graphics cards, thus giving them an advantage when using applications that run on low-level APIs such as Vulkan.

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
typo
Spoiler

On 11/7/2021 at 9:23 AM, spacenavy90 said:

Only because the Core coding DNA of Vulkan actually Came from AMD's Mantle API.

But Vulkan also removes Software Interface Layers, so it doesnt matter which GPU you're using as long as the GPU itself supports the coding being sent to it.

the AMD / NVidia Performance gap has nothing to do with APIs, it's more or less nVidia has more R&D to stay ahead of AMD right now, 

Same with Intel / AMD CPUs, though AMD finally caught back up to Intel, and as a result CPU Prices are no longer out of control lopsided.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs