Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

On 3/15/2022 at 4:56 PM, YoYo said:

Hi, a little is quiet about it. All in all, the new engine was supposed to be still in 2021, now we are in 2022 and at the end of the 1th quarter and we hear nothing about the new engine for DCS, which is so important for users, especially VR owners. Anything you know?

to Answer the question directly Regarding "Vulcan",
- In the Prime Timeline Vulcan still exists and was re-named Na'Var in 3129 where Vulcan left the Federation of Planets and Remerged with the Romulans after the Dilithium Burn Event.
- In the Kelvin Timeline, Vulcan is the location of the 3rd of the 4 Black Holes remaining caused by the Narada 

As for Vulkan, Developed by Khronos (which is also a re-spelling of Qo'Nos, the Klingon Homeword),( Ironic isn't it?)
Vulkan Integration is a large task, and it's being done side by side with the Multi-core recoding,
Both Tasks as stated by ED have their own teams, 

Building a Graphics engine from scratch is a huge undertaking, even after the base / core of the engine is done, everything assets wise must be converted or rebuilt for the new engine as well. 

You can't really give weekly/monthly/quarterly updates as it's all coding until they are ready to publish screenshots and performance numbers, which requires nearly 100% completion of the task at hand.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

8 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

to Answer the question directly Regarding "Vulcan",
- In the Prime Timeline Vulcan still exists and was re-named Na'Var in 3129 where Vulcan left the Federation of Planets and Remerged with the Romulans after the Dilithium Burn Event.
- In the Kelvin Timeline, Vulcan is the location of the 3rd of the 4 Black Holes remaining caused by the Narada 

As for Vulkan, Developed by Khronos (which is also a re-spelling of Qo'Nos, the Klingon Homeword),( Ironic isn't it?)
Vulkan Integration is a large task, and it's being done side by side with the Multi-core recoding,
Both Tasks as stated by ED have their own teams, 

Building a Graphics engine from scratch is a huge undertaking, even after the base / core of the engine is done, everything assets wise must be converted or rebuilt for the new engine as well. 

You can't really give weekly/monthly/quarterly updates as it's all coding until they are ready to publish screenshots and performance numbers, which requires nearly 100% completion of the task at hand.

Hope this helps.

That was a question I had and it seems that you may have answered it perhaps. Every asset/module needs to be converted or rebuilt. 

Seems like the timeline is indefinite almost by definition because we’re still seeing new modules and current module updates at fairly regular intervals. That’s the aspect that a lot of us are interested. How are Vulkan/Multicore remodelling in very general terms being done side by side existing upgrades. It almost seems counterproductive to be doing both at the same time but I appreciate that given I know nothing whatsoever about ED’s strategy and even less about coding I’m probably wrong. 

Edited by Willie Nelson
  • Like 1

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

22 hours ago, Willie Nelson said:

That was a question I had and it seems that you may have answered it perhaps. Every asset/module needs to be converted or rebuilt. 

Seems like the timeline is indefinite almost by definition because we’re still seeing new modules and current module updates at fairly regular intervals. That’s the aspect that a lot of us are interested. How are Vulkan/Multicore remodelling in very general terms being done side by side existing upgrades. It almost seems counterproductive to be doing both at the same time but I appreciate that given I know nothing whatsoever about ED’s strategy and even less about coding I’m probably wrong. 

I would hope… hope I tell you… that the new modules are being built for the new new tools and adapted to the current set. I’m sure they are. 

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

Probably depends on if they're far enough through the development to know what that looks like...  but I'd suspect they're doing it the right way.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

We hope? We’re sure? We suspect? None of us really know.

I understand they don’t want to commit to an indeterminate timeline, sure but the $64,000 question is the general process of integrating old and new that I think is key here. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Right know i would be happy if they implement, at this moment, DLSS for 2D&VR.

Man, on Myst VR the performance increase achieve a 60% with quality setting...

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

12 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

Right know i would be happy if they implement, at this moment, DLSS for 2D&VR.

For what it's worth, it would be very unwise to assume DCS gains any amount of performance when multithreading releases. It's an unsafe bet at least.

Where things should improve, would be comparing your FPS on an empty mission, versus a mission with a lot of action ongoing.

By offsetting AI tasking onto other threads (would be hoping for this at complete minimum), but knowing we're also getting multi light sources etc. It should be a safer assumption that your maximum performance might not actually improve (empty map, flying by yourself); but the performance will be gained, when you're in a large mission with a lot of AI units.

Essentially; if you have the ability to run a mission on a second computer, and connect to it locally, it's a safer assumption right now to assume the performance will be the same as playing "multiplayer" (even if it's LAN), than hosting the same mission on a single computer.

But.... there are no guarantees; and performance itself, might not be at the top of the list at initial release.

All multithreading is doing is opening up more doors, that's frankly it.

2 minutes ago, XCNuse said:

For what it's worth, it would be very unwise to assume DCS gains any amount of performance when multithreading releases. It's an unsafe bet at least.

I was talking about DLSS on VR

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

55 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

Was there a cockpit full of tiny numbers and letters? Yeah, I wouldn't assume any "quality" from this.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

Was there a cockpit full of tiny numbers and letters? Yeah, I wouldn't assume any "quality" from this.

I´ve never experimented a lost of detail using DLSS on 2D game, why you should lost it on VR?

5 hours ago, 5ephir0th said:

Right know i would be happy if they implement, at this moment, DLSS

That won't happen. ED have stated ad nauseum that they're not going to implement proprietary technology.

Excluding everyone with an AMD (and soon iNTEL) graphics card isn't the best idea...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

they could implement all of them like many other games. DLSS and FSR and then, the  new Xess

All the upscaling techniques are properties of some companies and work better with their hardware so if ED wants to implement one of them (and they should) They would have to choose.

• Like 2

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

they could implement all of them like many other games. DLSS and FSR and then, the  new Xess
All the upscaling techniques are properties of some companies and work better with their hardware so if ED wants to implement one of them (and they should) They would have to choose.
I agree. Several games implemented both DLSS and FSR. Also, for now, DLSS is arguably superior to FSR, so it would be a mistake to not include it, IMO.
  • Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

10 hours ago, Harker said:
20 hours ago, despinoza said:

I agree. Several games implemented both DLSS and FSR. Also, for now, DLSS is arguably superior to FSR, so it would be a mistake to not include it, IMO.

Not aerguably, DLSS is pretty much better in everyway, especially after 2.x version. One little issue you need an RTX card to run it and game needs to support it. 

FSR on the other hand works on just about anything and any game through different methods. (Lossless scaler etc.) 

FSR 2.0 looks promising as well. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 6:19 PM, 5ephir0th said:

I´ve never experimented a lost of detail using DLSS on 2D game, why you should lost it on VR?

OK, maybe I'm just skeptical because I did not see any test on anything resembling the detailed cockpit in flight simulator.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 hours ago, petsild said:

The same technique as FSR can be enforced in Nvidia drivers for every game including DCS and works great.

But that's proprietary BS though yeah??  Or are we talking some other thing?

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Then I'm all for it :)...  Even though I run an nvidia card I dislike their proprietary solutions.

40 minutes ago, Песочек said:

I hope that Vulkan significantly improve performance in DCS

Do not dream on it, because DCS is currently more bottlenecked by CPU.

As Waggs said, multi core evolutions  are more important.

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

On 3/23/2022 at 10:06 PM, despinoza said:

Or they could use the Vulkan Hardware Assisted or Ray Tracing SSAA and only have to program a function once and work on all GPUs from 2016+

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

23 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

As Waggs said, multi core evolutions  are more important.

Modern APIs like Vulkan enable developers to make use of multiple cores ...

At least that's what NVidia says ...

Nvidia

Edited by Buzzer1977
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3