Anybody have updates on the development of the F4U Corsair?

pegg00

Whats the point in having a carrier released with the Corsair if at the moment thats the only thing thats going to be on it? Really no other aircraft in DCS that uses it AI or otherwise, Im having a hard time understanding why a tertiary priority is just as important as the plane itself when all you're going to be doing on it is taking off and landing on it in VFR  anyways. That will get boring really fast IMO.

• Like 2

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

13 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Whats the point in having a carrier released with the Corsair if at the moment thats the only thing thats going to be on it? Really no other aircraft in DCS that uses it AI or otherwise, Im having a hard time understanding why a tertiary priority is just as important as the plane itself when all you're going to be doing on it is taking off and landing on it in VFR  anyways. That will get boring really fast IMO.

My own thoughts are ….

….. there will be a flurry of PTO releases timed together or closely together:

- Corsair, looks fairly close

- Essex class CV, again hopefully close

- PTO ground assets - last shown was a Japanese tank

- AI A6M5 by M3…?

- ED hinted F6F

- ED WW2 Marianas

One of the posts here discusses working closely with ED on something “under the tarp”… seems plausible to me that PTO will launch as a set of assets / modules.  

all of the above ^^ still has no mention of USN and IJN naval assets… we have some US amphibious assets, but as a minimum would also need a few DDs, CLs and BBs for each side.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I might go so far as to say that, without the carrier, I probably wouldn't buy it. I mean, I already have the Jug so what do I need with another round motor plane in the hanger??!! It's the tail hook man!!!

This, 100%.  If it can't land on a boat then I don't have any interest... (okay I landed the TF-51D on the Stennis a few times but still)  

17 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I haven't done ww2 carrier ops since Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2.

LOVED that sim.  The Struggle was real when playing the US campaign when all you had was the F4F.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spurts said:

This, 100%.  If it can't land on a boat then I don't have any interest... (okay I landed the TF-51D on the Stennis a few times but still)  

LOVED that sim.  The Struggle was real when playing the US campaign when all you had was the F4F.  

I was 15, and not into the hardcore sim stuff at that point. So I remember I played it with infinite ammo and fuel. Only way I could down any Japanese. 

And I remember I just waited and waited to get the Corsair.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

3 hours ago, rkk01 said:

My own thoughts are ….

- AI A6M5 by M3…?

- ED hinted F6F

- ED WW2 Marianas

One of the posts here discusses working closely with ED on something “under the tarp”… seems plausible to me that PTO will launch as a set of assets / modules.  

all of the above ^^ still has no mention of USN and IJN naval assets… we have some US amphibious assets, but as a minimum would also need a few DDs, CLs and BBs for each side.

I think you overestimate EDs willingness to give a complete experience. After almost a decade,  ETO is still bare bones. Lots and lots of AI assets missing,  air, sea and ground.

I think we will get the Corsair, Essex, ww2 Marianas, and some Japanese tanks/cars/guns.

And mabye mabye if we are lucky a Zero AI or full fidelity. 

I don't think we'll ever get US marines,  Japanese infantry,  US or Japanese ships. Or Air AI assets. At least not from ED.

• Like 3

After flying this sim for 10 years, I've learned a very important lesson as far as potential feature development: manage your expectations. If ED and/or other developers mention planned features/modules/assets/maps, much of that stuff could still easily be 3 to 5 years away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Zero has already been shown…?

Yes, but in the last podcast with Rudel and Hiro, Rudel said Zero was his private side-project, not intended to be released with Corsair and other related AI assets, with its fate to be decided in the future. Unless something has changed since the podcast, I'd expect the Corsair to come with the carrier, some ground assets and that's about it.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

10 hours ago, rkk01 said:

My own thoughts are ….

- AI A6M5 by M3…?

- ED hinted F6F

- ED WW2 Marianas

Well if thats the case, then why do we need to wait for Leatherneck to finish a carrier when there will be more already coming at close to the time of release?

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

15 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Well if thats the case, then why do we need to wait for Leatherneck to finish a carrier when there will be more already coming at close to the time of release?

I think magnitude 3 and ED are working together so Marianas ww2, Essex,  corsair and japanese ground vehicles are released together. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I think magnitude 3 and ED are working together so Marianas ww2, Essex,  corsair and japanese ground vehicles are released together. 

Magnitude 3 has none a map team. Making maps use diferent develop tools with need learn appart of SDK aircraft / helo module builders, need learn the TDK (Terrain Develop Kit). Remember M3 was a plans to build a Iwo Jima map, but never was confirmed.

The Essex and other stuff will be release as "M3 PTO assets pack" as Deka Chinnese assets pack.

Iwo Jima needs to be a thing, but Ill be happy with flying around a WW2 Saipan map. Then again Im easy to please; just give me my Corsair.

• Like 2

My wallpaper and skins

17 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Magnitude 3 has none a map team. Making maps use diferent develop tools with need learn appart of SDK aircraft / helo module builders, need learn the TDK (Terrain Develop Kit). Remember M3 was a plans to build a Iwo Jima map, but never was confirmed.

The Essex and other stuff will be release as "M3 PTO assets pack" as Deka Chinnese assets pack.

And as I said magnitude 3 is working with ED who are making ww2 Marianas. Is looks like ED and M3 are coordinating so the Corsair,  Essex and ground assets are released together with ww2 Marianas. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

And as I said magnitude 3 is working with ED who are making ww2 Marianas. Is looks like ED and M3 are coordinating so the Corsair,  Essex and ground assets are released together with ww2 Marianas. 

Where has M3 or ED confirmed them? Link Please?. M3 has building your module, no a map...

Just now, Silver_Dragon said:

Where has M3 or ED confirmed them? Link Please?. M3 has building your module, no a map...

ED is making ww2 Marianas,  M3 is making corsair, Essex and japanese ground assets. It seems like ED and M3 is coordinating so it is all released at the same time.

ED is making ww2 Marianas,  M3 is making corsair, Essex and japanese ground assets. It seems like ED and M3 is coordinating so it is all released at the same time.

Has none clue about them, the Marianas WW2 map moving forward more fast with M3 F4-U1 and assets pack release... remember the last Marianas Update, and M3 has only put very little info about them or show ED a "update" about a incoming Corsair near release (remember MBB-339A). F4-U1 has very far to a combined release.

https://leatherneck-sim.com/2022/06/01/2022-summer-update/

1 minute ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Has none clue about them, the Marianas WW2 map moving forward more fast with M3 F4-U1 and assets pack release... remember the last Marianas Update, and M3 has only put very little info about them or show ED a "update" about a incoming Corsair near release (remember MBB-339A). F4-U1 has very far to a combined release.

https://leatherneck-sim.com/2022/06/01/2022-summer-update/

Based on what? We have no idea how far away anything is Is. The corsair has seemed mostly finished for almost a year now, seems like they have mostly been doing minor stuff for months. And they seem to be putting the finishing touches on the carrier. And ED hasn't said anything about how long away the map is. We've only seen a few pics.

Neither the map or the corsair has been shown in videos. 

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

There is some coordination so no duplication is done on assets and such, but I know of no release coordination of any sort. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Just now, NineLine said:

There is some coordination so no duplication is done on assets and such, but I know of no release coordination of any sort. 

Does that mean ED is also working on Pacific specific assets?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Based on what? We have no idea how far away anything is Is. The corsair has seemed mostly finished for almost a year now, seems like they have mostly been doing minor stuff for months. And they seem to be putting the finishing touches on the carrier. And ED hasn't said anything about how long away the map is. We've only seen a few pics.

Neither the map or the corsair has been shown in videos. 

M3 has none release a F4U1 finished cockpit and system working on any video, only 3rd model working or none video show into DCS. The same situations with the PTO assets pack units and carrier, pics, but no videos.

Does that mean ED is also working on Pacific specific assets?

Do you remember Nick Grey like build some day a F6F Hellcat on DCS as WW2 module talked some years ago?

Edited by Silver_Dragon

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, Art-J said:

Yes, but in the last podcast with Rudel and Hiro, Rudel said Zero was his private side-project, not intended to be released with Corsair and other related AI assets

Sort of blows the mind how so something as widely requested and frankly critical to the PTO experience as the Zero is just considered a "private side project" and eh who knows if or when it gets released. Especially when we see all these previews of stuff like ultra-realistic hoses in the landing gear on the corsair... The priorities here are strange. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tree_Beard said:

Sort of blows the mind how so something as widely requested and frankly critical to the PTO experience as the Zero is just considered a "private side project" and eh who knows if or when it gets released. Especially when we see all these previews of stuff like ultra-realistic hoses in the landing gear on the corsair... The priorities here are strange. 

Well, it's only a private project as long as they don't have a contract in place with ED to produce one.  There may be good reasons that they are not under contract with ED to produce a Zero, ED may be working on one themselves, they may be in negotiations with another third party to produce one or maybe they are waiting to see how the corsair does.

• Like 2

^ I'd hazard a guess the reason is more simple and related to manpower available. With recent Corsair related crunch, plus some concurrent background work going on for MiG-21 and Crusader, I don't think they have time for working on fourth airplane as well, even if it's AI-only one.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 2:55 AM, rkk01 said:

My own thoughts are ….

- AI A6M5 by M3…?

- ED hinted F6F

- ED WW2 Marianas

There is an F4F mod coming as well

On 10/10/2022 at 6:08 AM, Gunfreak said:

I think you overestimate EDs willingness to give a complete experience. After almost a decade,  ETO is still bare bones. Lots and lots of AI assets missing,  air, sea and ground.

I think we will get the Corsair, Essex, ww2 Marianas, and some Japanese tanks/cars/guns.

And mabye mabye if we are lucky a Zero AI or full fidelity. 

I don't think we'll ever get US marines,  Japanese infantry,  US or Japanese ships. Or Air AI assets. At least not from ED.

I mean we have this picture of it, to me this is all you need in AI. Sounds, guns, model, flight model, tuned AI (or however AI flight models work)

image.png

Edited by LordBlueBaron22
  • Like 1