TIP..: Nvidia upgrade firmware of your graphics card for more fluid graphics and fps

delevero

Hi forum.

The other day i updated the firmware of my nvidia gtx 1080 graphics card.

This have improved fps allot, and especially in VR i got like 20fps more.

After my success i told my friends about my 1080 gtx now run faster and better with dcs and they also installed this firmware update.

And they also say that their game now run more fluent and with higher fps.

There for i Like to share my finding with you, so you also can get better performance.

Keep in mind that a firmware update is not an ordinary graphics driver update. This is an update that update everything inside of the video card that control the cards hardware and make things work.

The firmware update is offical and pretty safe to use, but here are my advice about things to know before you update..

1). turn off antivirus, and DOT NOT use your computer while it update.. just sit and wait and click upgrade when asked.

2): Keep monitoring the update, and after it run the first check where it say something about your card can be upgraded do you want to upgrade, then click yes.

Now dont touch your computer, and DO NOT turn off the power.

If power goes while you update the firmware you 1080gtx might stop working forever.

3): after update is complete ( takes af few minutes ) then

shut down your computer so you get black screen and your computer is off.

4). Now to be 100% sure the upgrade did not save something in memory of hte computer, then pull out the power cable in your wall plug so the computer get 0 power... now wait 3-5 minutes and you can use your computer.

( a friend of mine had black screen the first time he start after the update, and the no power advice help him make his computer work ).

Anyway, its not complicated at all, so forgive my long text ;-)

here is the update ( other nvidia cards can also benefic from this update of firmware, you can find information on the website what models are compatible )

https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

All supported graphics cards are

NVIDIA TITAN Series:

TITAN X (Maxwell), TITAN X (Pascal), TITAN XP

GeForce 10 Series:

GeForce GT 1030, GeForce GTX 1050, GTX 1050Ti, GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1070Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1080Ti

GeForce 900 Series:

GeForce GTX 950, GTX 950Ti, GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980Ti

GeForce 700 Series:

GeForce GTX 745, GTX 750, GTX 750Ti

PPS.. i am not responsible if something goes wrong when you make the firmware update.. it is an official update, and firmware updates are now a days very stable.. BUT in care cases firmware upgrades/updates can go wrong... As i said now a days its more safe than ever and much hardware have a build in reverse to factory firmware fail safe and wont update the card if the firmware update did not install 100% correctly.

Edited by delevero

cool beans man! glad it's working out for you. I'd need to evaluate further if there's any merit for my 1080's current firmware stup. thanks for posting.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hi!

That update is aimed "to enable the latest DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 features" and

"Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot. "

do you have the latest Display Port or had an issues described above?

Edited by alieneye

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS: i7 8700K (OK 5GHz), 2xGTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 2560x1440, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, MFG Crosswind pedals

Okay - just been testing:

in DCS World 2.5 I am seeing a definite improvement in framerates - no question, and a big improvement in performance here.

I use the Su-25T unguided rockets tutorial mission for performance testing.

Previously, I was really struggling to even attain 45fps at any stage of this mission. I implemented Kegetys' VR mod and that got me a solid 45fps at all times (ASW doing a good job, too).

After this firmware update I have a solid 90fps in normal flight (ATW) - it's unwavering. In the target area this drops to a solid 63fps. During very low level rocket attacks (with explosions, smoke etc all around) I'm getting 47fps as the lowest - quickly rising back to 63 as I pull up and away from the targets.

In DCS World 1.5.8 the frames were pretty much the same for the tutorial mission - but for other missions are worse than in 2.5 - for the first time since its release, 2.5 is working far better than 1.5.8 in VR (just a shame about the poor gamma implementation in 2.5).

47fps on the ground and during take-off. Around 60fps in normal flight (at 1.5km msl) and dropping to 30-40fps during all attack phases. Back to 47 on egress and 58-61fps at altitude.

All measured with the in-sim counter. I took a large number of screenshots confirming the framerates, if anyone wants to see them.

So far, so good smile.png

I'm using a stock GTX1060 6GB.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Damn, was so looking forward to this! Alas my firmware was already up to date

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Hi !

It seems that I have a 10 to 20fps gain after the firmware update. I only did a short test with a track file (5min in an incockpit M2000C rampstart).

More long tests by somebody else would be great to confirm this.

I have a GTX970 connected in Displayport (which is the target of this firmware update).

Thanks for the tip !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

no difference here with gtx 1070 seems same to me

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Damn, was so looking forward to this! Alas my firmware was already up to date

same here, I'm already at the firmware level

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Would this help, with HDMI?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I did this update a few days ago. 1080TI and g-sync monitor with DP 1.2. Not surprisingly I didn't notice any difference with performance. I don't think there is even many displays out there yet with DP 1.3. the new Asus and Acer 4k HDR monitors have 1.3 I believe.

This firmware update is more for future compatibility with new 4k high refresh rate monitors coming out. I seriously doubt it does anything for performance.

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

I did this update a few days ago. 1080TI and g-sync monitor with DP 1.2. Not surprisingly I didn't notice any difference with performance. I don't think there is even many displays out there yet with DP 1.3. the new Asus and Acer 4k HDR monitors have 1.3 I believe.

This firmware update is more for future compatibility with new 4k high refresh rate monitors coming out. I seriously doubt it does anything for performance.

same here

980ti with dp 1.2 and tool asks me to update.

no boost of performance

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

I updated the firmware on my GTX1080. I found no increase in frames, at all. 45fps before, 45fps after. Even the shader VR mod did not bring more frames

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I updated the firmware on my GTX1080. I found no increase in frames, at all. 45fps before, 45fps after. Even the shader VR mod did not bring more frames

exactly the same here...gtx1080, and neither shaders mod nor this firmware upgrade did improve my performance...but, the firmware upgrade didnt hurt either, so nothing is lost.

On mine it says I already have the newest Firmware installed..oh well..no free beer today

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Impressive. Finally a tip that brings a noticeable improvement! I wasn’t suffering before but I can now turn mirrors on and low-fly around Dubai. Prior to the firmware update even with mirrors off central Dubai would bring the stutters.

(I don’t have numbers, stopped chasing FPS a long time ago. I’ve never even opened the FPS window in DCS 2.X. But the firmware upgrade definitely smoothed over some known problem areas on my maps.)

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...