DCS WWII Map Discussion

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what planes we should see in 1943 ?? spitfire MKIX right ?? bf-109G6

If it's operation Husky, then that's July and August 1943.

There is a big difference within 1943 . . .

There are far too many aircraft which were used in Husky which are NOT in DCS (Beaufighter, P40, P39, P51A, Hurricane, Spitfire Vc & VIII and possibly some very early Merlin 61 powered IXc, A20, B25, JU52, Me323, Ju88, Me410, Do215, Bf 109G)

In fact, NONE of the air-frames currently in DCS WW2 were used during operation husky.. so DCS might as well just start the whole WW2 project all over again if they're going to choose that particular time period and location.

Anzio/ Gothic line makes more sense, if people really want Italy.

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

If it's operation Husky, then that's July and August 1943.

There is a big difference within 1943 . . .

There are far too many aircraft which were used in Husky which are NOT in DCS (Beaufighter, P40, P39, P51A, Hurricane, Spitfire Vc & VIII and possibly some very early Merlin 61 powered IXc, A20, B25, JU52, Me323, Ju88, Me410, Do215, Bf 109G)

In fact, NONE of the air-frames currently in DCS WW2 were used during operation husky.. so DCS might as well just start the whole WW2 project all over again if they're going to choose that particular time period and location.

Anzio/ Gothic line makes more sense, if people really want Italy.

Quite.

The actual WW2 aircraft has more centred on a Mid 1944 to 1945 with exception of Spitfire MkIX.

Bf-109K-4 August 1944

Fw-190D-9 August 1944

Fw-190A-8 February 1944

P-47D-30 1944

P-51D-25 / D-30 February 1944

Spitfire MkIX April 1942 LF (Mid 43).

Me262 April 1944

Has more plausible a Post Normandy, North France, Siegfried Line, Central Europa, Gothic Line, Spring 1945 offensive in Italy Campaigns.

By the Wags Map module show as "Straight of Dover" I expected a Allied advance from Paris to the Rhine Campaign map, the other can be (I Supuse) a Central Europa Map.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Again it should be pointed out that, whilst the Merlin 61 powered Spitfire F.IX did enter production in 1942, the Merlin 66 powered LF. arrived in mid 1943 and was still the most prolific Spitfire version during 1944-45.

I have the feeling you need to keep that text saved somewhere Fenrir.. you're going to have to reming people of this a thousand times...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I have the feeling you need to keep that text saved somewhere Fenrir.. you're going to have to reming people of this a thousand times...

..until they understand.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

FB version

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3735501&postcount=177

DCS: P-47D Thunderbolt, DCS: de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI, and DCS: Fw 190 A-8 Shrike

These three of these aircraft are well underway and we plan to release or more in 2019. With the addition of the new damage model, dynamic campaign, new World War II maps, and more units added to the World War II Assets Pack like the Ju-88, Bf 109G, C-47, A-20G, and others, DCS World War II will continue to grow and bring great new gameplay!

Strait of Dover is just an old name for the Normandy map. Thats been confirmed numerous times.

And the D-25/D-30 is from Feb 45, not 44. (Roughly. Actually varies a bit more but Oct/Nov 44 at the earliest I've found for the D-25 which is just a reskinned D-30 in DCS anyway)

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Strait of Dover is just an old name for the Normandy map. Thats been confirmed numerous times.

And the D-25/D-30 is from Feb 45, not 44. (Roughly. Actually varies a bit more but Oct/Nov 44 at the earliest I've found for the D-25 which is just a reskinned D-30 in DCS anyway)

Actual D-25 has changes on the cockpit, not only a reskinned aircraft.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3729121&postcount=175

In addition to a huge update to the cockpit, we have also greatly improved the external model and added the option to fly the P-51D-25-NA version. This was the most common P-51D for the European Theater of Operations (ETO) with its primary difference being its radio and IFF systems. This is most visible by the dorsal antenna.

Strait of Dover has been a map show by Wags on a video, outside of Normandy map some mounts ago (nov 2018).

zvb37z0ae2x11.png

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Yep they removed the IFF Controll Box and the Radio Fin...outstandig

But our D-25 still flying around with AN/APS 13 Rear Warning Radar, late 1944 to 1945 so far from be a Normandy Version...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Actual D-25 has changes on the cockpit, not only a reskinned aircraft.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3729121&postcount=175

Strait of Dover has been a map show by Wags on a video, outside of Normandy map some mounts ago (nov 2018).

zvb37z0ae2x11.png

All you're saying is they changed the internal 3D model as well as the external. Which is exactly what I said, its a copy and paste of the D-30 with a few cosmetic changes. The FM appears to be exaclty the same. Last time I checked the Mission Editor all that removed IFF equipment accounted for a grand total of 0lbs difference in DCS..... Don't ask me why it took 2 years to do that.... Or who decided that that was a "more appropriate ETO Mustang".... But thats a topic for another thread.

As far as the map I can't find the post anymore but IIRC Sithspawn or Wags already mentioned its just an older name for what became Normandy.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Yep they removed the IFF Controll Box and the Radio Fin...outstandig

But our D-25 still flying around with AN/APS 13 Rear Warning Radar, late 1944 to 1945 so far from be a Normandy Version...

Should we change the K4 to a G6/AS at the same time in that case?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Yes. We've already had that discussion 1000 times.

Or are you just looking for a chance to cry luftwhiner again??

9./JG27

Just pointing out a rather ironic and obvious observation that you refuse to see...

No need to get all salty about it.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

As far as the map I can't find the post anymore but IIRC Sithspawn or Wags already mentioned its just an older name for what became Normandy.

Has very ambiguous maintain a name of a old map, 4-5 years after that start a develop of Normandy, with never put that name on the KS or after. That can be only a "placeholder" name to one of the two ww2 maps on develop actually. Has very common the Wags leak on your videos, as the F-16, F-4E, L-39, Yak-42 and others icon modules previously.

what exactly does he refuse to see?

The irony that he is moaning about a single feature on the P-51 that makes it is a late war version whilst we have yet to get a single luftwaffe aircraft that would have appeared in Normandy.

Just found it rather amusing.

Project IX Cockpit

No, you're just trying to turn this into another my airplane vs your airplane he said she said forum war, which only leads to NL deleting all the posts and the thread getting locked.

I'm not sure how MAD or myself are at fault that there aren't any Normandy fitting German aircraft released up until now, but I think if you look through any of the numerous threads on the topic both of us have been 100% for adding those planes into DCS.

Since this is a map thread and not a plane thread I'll mention again that the fastest way to get anything where the planes match the map is by making a 1945 era map of Germany or similar, since thats where most of the planes we have flew. Going to the MTO or something like that would take forever. It seems that making slightly earlier versions of what we have for Normandy isn't that fast either, but I guess well see what the plans are in that regard once the A-8 comes out.

9./JG27

No, you're just trying to turn this into another my airplane vs your airplane he said she said forum war, which only leads to NL deleting all the posts and the thread getting locked.

I'm not sure how MAD or myself are at fault that there aren't any Normandy fitting German aircraft released up until now, but I think if you look through any of the numerous threads on the topic both of us have been 100% for adding those planes into DCS.

Since this is a map thread and not a plane thread I'll mention again that the fastest way to get anything where the planes match the map is by making a 1945 era map of Germany or similar, since thats where most of the planes we have flew. Going to the MTO or something like that would take forever. It seems that making slightly earlier versions of what we have for Normandy isn't that fast either, but I guess well see what the plans are in that regard once the A-8 comes out.

I am really not... In fact YOU were the one who brought up the aircraft and year debate.

Have a great day.

Now regarding a 1945 era map, we would still require the ME262, Spitfire XIV and Tempest which would also take ages. I would rather time be spent adding to the Normandy aircraft set before we move to the MTO.

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

It is very unlikely that the "Strait of Dover" is an "...old wip name for Normandy".

Back in Luthiers kickstarter, the map was always "Normandy", and has been called "Normandy" ever since.

I find it very likely that Wags has the latest DEV build on his machine, which is why you can see recent, and yet to be released (F-16, Mi-24 etc) on his main menu.

"Strait of Dover" is also a very inaproprate name for the Normandy map, as Dover is far off in the corner and not even modelled.

Therefore, I find it at least well within reason to assume that one of the ww2 maps indeed is centred around Dover, and the "other end of the Channel".

This makes sense for several reasons:

1: It is an iconic WW2 air combat location for obvious reasons.

2: It was the primary threatre for the Spit IX, The 190A, The Mosquito, the P-51 and P-47 for a long period.

3: If the map strecthes as far east as the border of Germany (The Rhine), it is also the natural habitat of the 190-D, The 262 and the 109K.

If done right, this map could be the natural and perfect fit for the entire and planned stable (bar the F-4) of WW2 aircraft - which Normandy is not. It would also provide a future template for early war, Battle of Britain scenarios, should ED decide to model early war aircraft later.

Let us all just hope that the bar is raised from the crayon/neon fields of Normandy to a more appropriate depiction of Western Europe.