Compleate change logs?

raelias

Hey guys,

I'd would love to have a more compleate changelog on the updates, it seems like quite a lot os stuff that is actually in the update are beeing left out of the change logs, some stuff we will find when we hop in the hornet some might be much more underlying, some of them can quite change the way we do stuff.

Is there anys specific reason why the changelogs are so incompleate?

Thank,

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Heard somewhere that they usually just copy/paste the changes listed in the commits, my guess is that between merging of development branches for pushing out an update, stuff can get lost/buried or just plain forgotten.

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

I cant believe that if you promote a product like the F/A-18c so hard before its release. you "just" forget to post all changes in a changelog. And its not only the hornet, its every module that has stuff missing from the changelog.

It'd be nice to have complete change logs. But, if I had to choose between flawless change logs and more work being done on the actual sim, I'd take the work over the change logs ANY DAY. I think it's just a time/staffing issue, nothing more.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I cant believe that if you promote a product like the F/A-18c so hard before its release. you "just" forget to post all changes in a changelog. And its not only the hornet, its every module that has stuff missing from the changelog.

Assuming my previous comment is the case, which was only speculation on my part, you have to account the fact that they're probably dealing with at least 5-6 official internal branches next to knowing what's in the 2 public branches. Every programmer could also have a few personal branches where they push their daily work to.

This is software development. They're human.

They're working towards milestones (they've made public for one at the end of this month I believe?) and while we're experimenting with the plane in the meantime, I personally don't mind if a few things get mixed up, as long as the announced milestones are met at the announced time, unless otherwise communicated.

Can't overstress enough that my assumption could just be plain wrong :D

EDIT:

It'd be nice to have complete change logs. But, if I had to choose between flawless change logs and more work being done on the actual sim, I'd take the work over the change logs ANY DAY. I think it's just a time/staffing issue, nothing more.

^This, the Hornet is in alpha/Beta/whatever, seeing the progress made over this summer lets me keep the faith all will be well.

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

Yeah, that's indeed easy to assume from the outside, but beeing a software developer myself, I can assure you that maintaining a proper changelog can get pretty tedious and stuff gets forgotten pretty easily, especially if it's a larger project with multiple teams working on different internal dev branches that get merged from time to time for a new release version.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There's some stuff that is kind of frustrating when it's not listed, even a hint.

Example:

In the most recent Hornet update they altered the flight model with the flaps/wheels down logic. Now if you sneeze on the throttles during final in the groove you'll balloon up and float over the wires...meanwhile wing dip loss of lift is remarkably more severe.

Essentially whatever muscle memory or such you had for carrier approaches is now shot to hell.

There's some stuff that is kind of frustrating when it's not listed, even a hint.

Essentially whatever muscle memory or such you had for carrier approaches is now shot to hell.

I'm surprised more stuff isn't breaking from update to update, it's kinda what I expected when I signed up for this alpha release. The plane now won't be like the plane on full release.

But I think all the points mentioned in this thread can be summarized as:

It's understandable, but still frustrating. I hope ED monitors this thread (silently) and looks at what they can improve on their end. Other modules might benefit from lessons learned.

*EDIT*

As a quick addition I'd like to note that ED has been really upping the communication with the frequent hornet updates and vids, so improvements are being made :D.