Nvidia RTX cards and DCS - ?

This is great news that a new GPU is just around the corner, but there is one real question that concerns DCS..

Its that of the Persian Gulf Map. I read that the smallness of the map is because present technology limits a real expansion.. I personally would like to see Afghanistan included here.

Is the new card going to enable this issue?

I know that VRS has the entire map. But I can't really get behind using that that old MFX graphics engine..

I've been waiting for years to for DCS to include the F/A-18.. Now if the latest technology allows for the complete rendering of the entire Gulf Map this will truly be awesome...

Has nothing to do with graphics. The problem is the lowest common denominator, users with limited memory. Its already pushing up against 16GB of RAM that most people are going to have. It'll be a harder to market game with a 24-32GB system memory minimum. Like to choice of Vulkan over DX12, expanding not narrowing the audience.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has nothing to do with graphics. The problem is the lowest common denominator, users with limited memory. Its already pushing up against 16GB of RAM that most people are going to have. It'll be a harder to market game with a 24-32GB system memory minimum. Like to choice of Vulkan over DX12, expanding not narrowing the audience.

I see your point. Its a pity but it appears that Afghanistan is a long way off. Anyway the Persian Gulf map as it is was a tremendous accomplishment for DCS..

After all of those years with the old map its nice that we have something fresh and new to play around in...

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

I see your point. Its a pity but it appears that Afghanistan is a long way off. Anyway the Persian Gulf map as it is was a tremendous accomplishment for DCS..

After all of those years with the old map its nice that we have something fresh and new to play around in...

Syria and Afghanistan confirmed

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200740

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

prices are not going to drop for the 10x series....

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180822PD202.html

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

They already dropped. The 1080 Ti is retailing new at $100+ off what they sold for a few weeks ago.

We will see but prices are not falling down as expected....

a good custom 1080ti as the asus rog strix OC still cost 1000 USD....check the prices on amazon.com or newegg......

custom 2080ti will cost 1500 USD tha'ts a fact, FE costs 1200 USD

nVidia CP settings are not working with DCS.

I use Nvidia driver 388.71 on the rig in my signature. I force FXAA on in Nvidia Inspector, noticeable difference especially on big screen. If you turn it off, you see jaggies. Much less expensive than MSAA. It's a post process AA technique done on the card rendering the image. You aren't overriding anything in the DCS graphic engine. I can post a screen shot later when I'm on my rig. There's a whole bunch of techno babble settings that you should just leave alone, but's it's a lot more flexible than Nvidia Control Panel. It's also how you are able to force games into SLI if you have multiple graphics cards even though they may not be officially supported. Introduces lots of stuttering variables though, and you have to test different "sli compatibility bits".

Any blurring effect would most likely be noticeable in small gauges and MFD rendering you try to read without zooming in. As always, YMMV.

Edited by Sn8ke_iis
corrected driver version

How to force FXAA on in Nvidia Inpector

A little off topic, but I had a request to show how to use FXAA in DCS even without the option within DCS internal graphic settings.

The option is highlighted in blue in the first screenshot. The only other settings I changed from default are boldface.

Make sure the "Digital Combat Simulator:Black Shark" in the profiles pull down menu is associated with both .exe files in the green bar up top.

Don't forget to set power option to max performance.

Using the Nvidia Icon just to the right of the options column will return that setting to default.

I also included a snip of my settings within DCS and the utility I use to OC my card, which also includes a really handy onscreen display for temps, fps, utilization, etc.

Oh yeah, driver version I use is 388.71 not .12

Don't forget to click apply changes before you exit out.

Happy flyin' :pilotfly:

508997100_DCSNvidiaInspectorSettings1.thumb.PNG.9a80faf66a3c8c5cbf633f3b0113b2cb.PNG

171842879_DCSInEngineSettings1.thumb.PNG.b76a3ac8236b885af11d4d682c80b680.PNG

1932939467_DCSMSIAfterburnerSettings1.thumb.PNG.47514a07f3300b7611754570c0c834b6.PNG

I pushed the button on a used 1080 ti for my second rig. All in $500 with warranty for ~3 years. Since it was the flavor I wanted, I believe it will be possible to get one for $450 or less on the next weeks if you can have any model. I hope I see improvements over my 1070 on this pc, since on my other I did not. My hope is that cpu and ram were bottlenecking it hard. This one has a bit more punch. Well see, perhaps RTX later next year for me.

I'm gonna wait and see what 7nm brings. My RX480 8GB cost me £180. I'd rather play in VR with low settings for a while and save some money to put towards second gen VR and a much faster card for less than the price of these.

The 14nm RX480 was faster than the 20nm GTX 970 on release. By that logic, a mainstream 7nm Polaris replacement might give you around RTX 2070 performance for £250/$300.

No, just trying to weed out all the useless commenters regurgitating something they read on a teenyboppers YouTube channel.

I'd throttle back on the "weeding out" bit. For someone who's registered in 2017 and has less than 100 posts you're a bit too agressive. Have some respect for others.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

I'd throttle back on the "weeding out" bit. For someone who's registered in 2017 and has less than 100 posts you're a bit too agressive. Have some respect for others.

:D :thumbup: :music_whistling:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I played Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and Falcon AT. I don't care how many posts somebody has. You can make a 1000 useless posts and you made a 1000 useless posts. Kind of like this one added to my count. You really think I never read this forum before posting?

This forum is one of the most informative if not THE most informative regarding flight simulation. It didn't get that way by people complaining about a card that nobody has even used yet. If you take a forum post personally and interpret a random person on the internet as being disrespectful, well...

I was disappointed to see so many DCS fans fall for social media hype and antihype. You should know when a Youtuber created clickbait to increase his revenue. The NDA gags lift a few days before the release date. This will all be settled by the end of the month. Referencing a link that references another link that references some specs that somebody made up doesn't really help anyone. Even if some of the DirectX12 benchmarks are accurate, that is irrelevant to DCS as it currently renders in the DirectX11 api and possibly Vulcan in the future.

If anything, this thread made me realize how closely I follow the GPU space for pleasure and profit and that even the average DCS user has a lot of misconceptions about PC hardware and the purchasing power of your currency.

To really make it fun, I was thinking of donating a 1070 to a DCS fan who can most accurately guess the benchmarks and performance increase for a 2080 Ti. Other than that, what's the point?

Listening to what people would pay if the price and performance were in a certain range, acknowledges you don't know and I find worth reading. It at least gives insight into what dollar value different people put on PC and graphics performance. Making a definitive statement about price and performance to someone who may be new to DCS or building a PC for the first time, you are just confusing the issue. Now that's disrespectful.

Well I jumped in with both feet.

I just pre-ordered EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Doing a complete new system build later this year anyway, just figured this would be my first major component for it lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

None of us are getting any younger, if you have the cash, spend it. There won't be many DCS benchmarks on the mainstream tech sites anyway, so you'll be doing us a favour anyway when you install and report back. Everyone on 'The Internet' is telling you not to buy one, which in itself is a good enough reason to pull the trigger I reckon.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Well I jumped in with both feet.

I just pre-ordered EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Doing a complete new system build later this year anyway, just figured this would be my first major component for it lol.

NICE! I didn't even think they were going to release any 3 fan models before the 20th. I got the Ti XC Ultra. I had the Nvidia keynote open in one tab and the EVGA store open in the other. I got lucky :shifty: That, and I work from home. I'm going to put it under an EK waterblock. Really interested to see the Kingpin Hybrid. That will be tough to beat. Good time of year to buy new components for the rest of your build if you can wait till all the crazy Black Friday type sales.

The end of the month is looking really busy for me, but I'll try to at least get something preliminary up as far as numbers and update once I have it under water. I encourage others to as well, performance can vary quite a bit from module to module and map to map.

We'll see when we actually get our tracking numbers. My preorder still says 4-6 weeks.

John's right about mainstream benchmark sources, it's up to us. There is always quite a bit a variance among games and sims. Hopefully, the DCS engine likes the fast memory and new architecture. We'll see. 2 weeks...:joystick:

John's right about mainstream benchmark sources, it's up to us. There is always quite a bit a variance among games and sims. Hopefully, the DCS engine likes the fast memory and new architecture. We'll see. 2 weeks...:joystick:

I will be very interested to see how your 7700K preforms with the new cards.:thumbup:

It's also going to be more how DCS will handle this new tech with their new Vulkan pipeline then the old pipe, when the new gets released...?

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I think the faster vram should help VR some also, which better VR performance is my main goal.

How much better will remain to be seen. Not sure my current rig would be able to feed the 2080 Ti properly enough to get the most out of it.

May just keep the new card in the box until I do the new build, but who knows curiosity may get the best of me. Likely will lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

None of us are getting any younger, if you have the cash, spend it. There won't be many DCS benchmarks on the mainstream tech sites anyway, so you'll be doing us a favour anyway when you install and report back. Everyone on 'The Internet' is telling you not to buy one, which in itself is a good enough reason to pull the trigger I reckon.

I am pretty sure most of the active posters in this forum will have a 2080 Ti in their sig before Christmas. :)

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

May just keep the new card in the box until I do the new build, but who knows curiosity may get the best of me. Likely will lol.

There is no way I could keep all that shinyness sealed up in the box.

Really interested in 2080ti perf in vr from all the pioneers. Just picked up evga 1080ti so will look to step up to 2080ti if good benchies. Only really need extra oomph for dcs and il2 vr so hopefully performance increase will be good forcing me to part with hard earned cash :megalol:

I have a Gigabyte gaming OC coming soon, will definitely benchmark it with my current setup (7700K 16GB, Vive Pro) whenever it arrives. I also plan to build a new flightsim/VR rig with the 9900K and Phanteks Evolv X case afterward, going to wait for Black Fri deals on those items.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I have to admit my mind has been on this topic a lot lately. For me I'm more interested in the tensor cores and deep-learning AI rather than ray-tracing. @ 3440x1440 DCS without any AA can just look outright bad, shimmers all over the place, wings disappearing off aircraft in the distance and the sort. FXAA never did much to alleviate this, and MSAA just wrecks havoc on framerates since the implementation of deferred rendering. All of this is also true in the Odyssey as well. Flight/Racing sims also tend to be a driving reason for having triple monitor setups or a VR headset.

I know the cards aren't even out yet and I'm not all that hopeful that ED is going to pick up on this, but the more I read about DLSS and it's performance increases with the 20 series cards the more I feel like it's the solution to our anti-aliasing woes ever since the switch to deferred shading.

That being said - too early to know everything about it. It might require DX12, or they may look into Vulkan support. What we do know is lacking a most likely rather expensive AI supercomputer, developers would have to send code to nvidia for AI training instructions and implementation.

Of course it could be a few years before enough people are sporting GPU's with tensor cores to justify the adoption of this tech, and also pending any changes to the graphics API they end up using. I'm not holding my breath for ED offering that kind of cooperation, but I can't help but desire it.

I'm not trying to force this opinion.. just some wishful thinking going on here, as anti-aliasing has been my biggest concern with the jump to 2.5. Regardless I'm still most likely retiring my 980Ti for a 2080Ti. The pricetag is high, but it's still going to offer the best performance for my setup at this point in time, and my GPU is showing its age.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

The real goal of RTX is VR

Am I the only one that finds all the negative people posting irritating? Maybe that's why you can't afford a new graphics card? If spending $1000 on a new card is going to bankrupt you and your family, you shouldn't be wasting your time flying imaginary airplanes on a computer or commenting in a flight sim forum. Take the money and put it in a college fund for your children or use the money to enhance your salary and marketable skills. How much time did you spend gaming and siming in the last year? Unless you flip burgers for a living that would have more than payed for any computer upgrade you want.

For those subject to high taxes, import fees, and exchange rates, that has nothing to do with Nvidia. Change your government's economic policies.

There are serious entitlement issues in the PC gaming and Flight Sim communities. But I have solution. If you don't like Nvidia's prices, don't buy them. It really is that simple. 1000 series prices have dropped, buy one used. $500 dollars spent today gets you a whole lot more bang for your buck than 5 years ago. What level of price and performance would make you happy exactly? 50 teraflops for $400? Maybe in 10 years.

I just started the Witcher 2 because I liked 3 so much. Its a 2011 game that looks gorgeous in 4K with the settings maxed. Way ahead of its time. And I bought if for like $5 bucks on a Steam sale. Getting a 4K panel to display it on in 2011 would have been impossible let alone a graphics card that could push that many pixels. We've come a long way in a very short period of time gentleman. Important to keep that in perspective.

Nvidia has some of the smartest people in the world working with multibillion dollar budgets. Where do you think that money comes from? If you think you can do better. Get an EE degree and start your own GPU company and compete with Nvidia. Good luck with that.

My Titan Xp was one of the best computer purchases I ever made. The 1080 TI came out like a month after but I hit break even on my Titan months ago.

Right now, there isn't one single person on these boards who knows how the 2080 Ti will perform in DCS. It's uninformed speculation at best and you are cluttering up the forums with useless information. No amount of trash talking Nvidia online is going to make AMD cards perform better ,draw less watts, or cause prices to drop.

All the 2080 Ti preorders in the world are currently sold out. Those are the real numbers Nvidia is looking at. Not the uninformed whiney "expert" on a forum or Youtube. Stop embarrassing yourself. Computer gaming is a luxury purchase for your leisure time and hobby pursuits. I have yet to see one developer, AI researcher, or artist complain about the price because the card will make them more productive and efficient. Faster machine learning, faster rendering.

Sorry about the rant, but this is getting old quick. I'm sure there are tons of people who aren't going to upgrade their PC due to budget constraints. They don't whine about it publicly or blame Nvidia.

Well put.

What nobody is talking about is that Nvidia is paving the way for the next VR headsets.

Raytracing is absolutely needed to advance VR.

Take a look at this article from 2017 by Dr. Morgan McGuire of NVidia

https://www.roadtovr.com/exclusive-h...-of-vr-part-1/

https://www.roadtovr.com/exclusive-n...ure-vr-part-2/

And one year later we already have the foundation tech:

- raytracing

- AI chip on board

- special VR connector on card

For people blinded by FPS, CUDA core number, specs, please try to see a little bit in the future and not hang on meaningless figures.

I remember when someone was really happy that the Linux kernel can fit into a 1.44 Mb floppy disk. What a big advantage :)

RTX is not a marketing trick, is the future.

i7-8770K @5GHZ , Asus Strix GTX 1080, 32 GB Ram DDR4 3200, Samsung EVO 960 NVME, Samsung EVO 850 SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Thrustmaster Warthog Stick and Throttle, Rudders

Oculus Rift CV1

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

There is no way I could keep all that shinyness sealed up in the box.

Really interested in 2080ti perf in vr from all the pioneers. Just picked up evga 1080ti so will look to step up to 2080ti if good benchies. Only really need extra oomph for dcs and il2 vr so hopefully performance increase will be good forcing me to part with hard earned cash :megalol:

Are you using VR? I imagine 1080Ti will keep up just fine unless you're looking for 4K at MAXed out settings.

I *was* going to wait, but I got this little email from EVGA so I pulled the trigger. Who was I kidding...I knew I couldn't hold out. :D

Like dburne, I'm just looking for the best possible VR experience.

It's nice to read some reviews that shows 47% increase w/o DLSS.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1