leapMotion implementation possibility

Kariyann71

Cbuchner and SDraw are two GitHub’ s drivers that allow LeapMotion to be integrated in steamvr as vr controllers.

DCLeap is more a VR mouse controller than virtual hands.

This is like MilesD but completely software except the LeapMotion device.

I’m adding some interaction features like salute gesture to catapult shoot, thumb up to catapult align.

I’m currently working on a éjection command.

Edited by Kariyann71

Corei7 2600K 4.4Ghz OC - NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb - 16 Gb DDR3

HP Reverb PRO HMD - Thrusmaster TWCS + TopGun Stick

Mine is just mounted directly on top of the reverb with 3M dual lock tape. It was originally temporary and I was going to 3d print a right angle mount but it's working fine so still use it. Trying to mount on the curved fabric with tapes and velcros was pointless as they just wouldn't hold for very long.

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Cbuchner and SDraw are two GitHub’ s drivers that allow LeapMotion to be integrated in steamvr as vr controllers.

DCLeap is more a VR mouse controller than virtual hands.

This is like MilesD but completely software except the LeapMotion device.

I’m adding some interaction features like salute gesture to catapult shoot, thumb up to catapult align.

I’m currently working on a éjection command.

so how do you click up/down/rotate? Gesture?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Click are performed with index trigger and /or pinch.

Moving palm while keeping index trigger or pinch closed allow rotating knob.

Right click require your palm is facing your head, then trigger or pinch gesture perform the right click

Edited by Kariyann71

hi Kariyann71 , nice work so far. id like to know if its possible to use your software for visual reference only. in my situation i am building a M2000 simpit with 1 to 1 scale and to allow for easier navigation in my cockpit id like to see my hands in the virtual cockpit but i dont want to have any click functions active.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately DCLeap doesn’t work with Oculus.

I’m not sure for Pimax, does Pimax uses SteamVR natively or is there a specific Pimax software before SteamVR ?

Unfortunately DCLeap doesn’t work with Oculus.

I’m not sure for Pimax, does Pimax uses SteamVR natively or is there a specific Pimax software before SteamVR ?

Pimax interacts with Pitool as a driver and software configuration tool between SteamVR and the headset. They got an own module in development for handtracking, which might work quite well for grabbing a beachball or something similar of this size, but I got serious doubts, that any leap motion, handtracking or VR gloves work with the precision needed to properly interact with the DCS VR cockpits in this early stage of development of such technique.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Pimax interacts with Pitool as a driver and software configuration tool between SteamVR and the headset. They got an own module in development for handtracking, which might work quite well for grabbing a beachball or something similar of this size, but I got serious doubts, that any leap motion, handtracking or VR gloves work with the precision needed to properly interact with the DCS VR cockpits in this early stage of development of such technique.

I don’t pretend to be an expert on the subject but I’m glad that there’s a few people out there working on this implementation all the same.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

You don´t have to pretend to be an expert, Willie Nelson, to have doubts, that with any of these techniques, in current stage of development, interacting with an Antiskid switch or uncage the HSI would work as you imagine.

But surely I´m happy too, that some companies are in development for that.

Edited by - Voight -
typo...yes: typo!

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Final release of DCLeap available.

Sorry for Rift and PiMAX users, DCLeap is not compatible with your devices.

I'm waiting for HTC feedback to be sure DCLeap is comptatible with.

Your videos really look amazing. I don´t wanted to sound unrespectful for your work.

Really hope that there could be invented some technology, like additional hand tracking cameras to be placed in the simpit to make handtracking much more accurate and to come over the limitations of the hardware providers with a handtracking-system attached to the headset only.

If then the visualized hands in VR would be connected to the virtual pilot body and move with the pilot´s arms like with a ragdoll system, some dreams would come true.

Edited by - Voight -

Your videos really look amazing. I don´t wanted to sound unrespectful for your work.

Really hope that there could be invented some technology, like additional hand tracking cameras to be placed in the simpit to make handtracking much more accurate and to come over the limitations of the hardware providers with a handtracking-system attached to the headset only.

If then the visualized hands in VR would be connected to the virtual pilot body and move with the pilot´s arms like with a ragdoll system, some dreams would come true.

No problem, I understand what you mean.

I agree with you about hand devices, the technology is not accurate enough to allow a true virtual hand uses as selecting a specific switch between 10 while you’re not looking at it.

I started with LeapMotion for DCS 2 years ago and my first idea was to recreate a virtual model of each aircraft’s cockpit, but this was not the good way due to the workload it represents and the LeapMotion tracking quality level.

So I decided to create a virtual mouse to allow interaction without using a hardware mouse. I added some gesture because LeapMotion is an easy and performant tool to realize this.

The gesture for the catapult start from a carrier is a really cool thing.

What I am wondering about LeapMotion is, that they are active from the beginning of Rift and Vive in promoting their technology, raised million after million in funding, never showed anything more, than what you do with the software base technology and finally been sold to another company.

Really hope, that with your ability and start working from scratch, you could bring the technology to a fully use for DCS one day.

I think it´s more likely to fully use with a seated VR experience, determined by a virtual cockpit, where the stick and throttle, which every simmer got, could be used for calibration, than with a room scale VR experience.

The LeapMotion / handtracking approach is much more likely to succeed over VR gloves simply because of the much more comfortability in practice use. Finally it´s a much more accurate hardware tracking system needed, than what we have today.

Does Leap Motion work with the Reverb?

How about X Plane 11?

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, G-Skill Z 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3333 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

Does Leap Motion work with the Reverb?

How about X Plane 11?

This work with the reverb as reverb is wmr.

I tried with XPlane but something is wrong.

After polishing DCS version I’ll try to develop a XPlane fork.

Ok Thanks Christmas is coming.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, G-Skill Z 3200mhz DDR4 @ 3333 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

Unfortunately this isn't working for me. I confirmed in the leap debug utility that my hands are correctly detected. When I start DCSLeap and activate tracking for one of my hands (palm up with fingers spread) then the mouse cursor gets constrained to the far left of my view. The cursor does not move with hand movement. The cursor does move with head movement, but it moves in the opposite direction of the head movement. I'm using a Samsung HMD Odyssey+. I followed the instructions carefully. Any ideas about what could be going wrong here?

edit: OK got it partially figured out, the driver didn't register correctly on install. Fixed that and can move my cursor with DCSLeap but unfortunately when DCSLeap is activated the cursor still gets moved far to the left and remains stuck over there. The cursor also moves in the opposite direction of my head rotation. It's as if DCSLeap thinks the left edge of my screen is the center and all head movements are inverted.

Edited by fignuts

Unfortunately this isn't working for me. I confirmed in the leap debug utility that my hands are correctly detected. When I start DCSLeap and activate tracking for one of my hands (palm up with fingers spread) then the mouse cursor gets constrained to the far left of my view. The cursor does not move with hand movement. The cursor does move with head movement, but it moves in the opposite direction of the head movement. I'm using a Samsung HMD Odyssey+. I followed the instructions carefully. Any ideas about what could be going wrong here?

Can you send me in PM a screenshot of your DCLeap regedit file ? (Check user manual to get the path)