leapMotion implementation possibility

Kariyann71

I tried it again yesterday with the spitfire and it was basically unusable as it kept interfering with the stick and sending me into uncontrolled maneuvers. I really want to see this work in dcs. I’m optimistic it can and will be done. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, tigger6 said:

I have a LeapMotion controller stuck on the front of a G2. When I run the LeapMotion app, (using the Gemini drivers), hand tracking is nearly perfect. However when I start DCS, the hands that appear are very poorly tracked in comparison. The pimax has the newer wide FOV hardware so it could be better, but it seems the trouble does not lie in hardware but steam driver or refresh rate or something like that.

I have exactly the same behavior tracking perfect with leap software and very poor in DCS very sad…..

On 7/5/2021 at 7:40 PM, TED said:

I got my Leapmotion controller today. After reading a lot online and on this forum, i really was not expecting much at all, and it was more out of interest than anything else. I had seen ED were starting to support it, but again fairly low expectations.

However I was somewhat surprised and positively surprised at that. I plugged it in straight away. A very simple process, requiring one USB plug, stuck the controller onto the front of my reverb g2, downloaded the software and fired up dcs. 

Basically it worked straight away. My hands visible, moving and doing pretty much what i told them to do. I was, after a little practice able to fairly easily get around the cockpit and activate all the switches. I did a full start up, a short flight with some a2g missiles operating a few systems, and a full shutdown after, all just using the leapmotion. I had no issues at all with the hands interfering with the controls as I am using physical controls. As a very early implentation into DCS I was pretty impressed. There are certainly plenty of areas for improvement, but based on my test, nothing that shouldn’t be possible with some coding and firmware. Unfortunately I have zero experience in any of this and will be relying on community developments and DCS updates. The first thing that probably it needs, and quite possibly exists already, is a simple way to customize the control gestures. The only thing really we need for dcs is to be able to point a finger and click. This is basically possible right now, but there are so many other gestures it picks up, it can get a bit confused and start to wander. I did find it a little too sensitive, so a way to dial this way down would be a big improvement. I would ideally like to have the option of effectively just using this as a mouse. A pointed finger could therefore physically move certain switches and buttons and those that can’t be reached the laser pointer from a finger and a simple click will be perfect.

All in all I am absolutely thrilled DCS has picked this up and I think if they can make some small adjustments to the implementation within DCS it is going to be pretty much a standard for anyone using VR. It has massive potential, and seems to be a relatively low hanging fruit to get working well fairly quickly. For me already, my hand controllers are now ditched and i will be only using the hand tracking. For those times I can’t get it exactly right, I still have the mouse. Can’t wait to see how this progresses.

Did you succeeded suppressing the pointers laser like rays? Even with the option deactivated in Special area, they stay alive and interfere severely with my fingers position and actions

• 2 months later...

New update, in spanish of course (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers)

If you dont understand, sorry, maybe its time to learn a bit XD.

Feliz Navidad!

• Like 1

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

• Leap motion gemini 5.2 drivers. Users may need to update their leap motion drivers to the latest gemini drivers.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.9.17830/

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

mmmmm, thum option press dont work as spected. When you choose the thumb option some times the pointer appear, and only works this way. Then  playing with the options some times thumbs press works @BIGNEWY

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

• ED Team

More work to be done for sure and we are working closer with leap in this regard. But it will take time, so fingers crossed for 2022 and beyond. 

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 9 months later...

I was trying again the leap motion (Ultra leap) hand tracking.

I have a pimax8k with their hand tracking module and I installed the new ultraleap Gemini software.

My problem is this, I go in DCS options, specials page, I activate the leap motion hand tracking but I don't close the specials page.

The hands work perfectly, they are both tracked perfectly.

As soon as I go out of the specials page and I restart flying, the hands are erratical, they appear and disappear randomly, most of the times only one hand is shown, the tracking is very poor.

Anybody with a pimax or even non pimax experienced anything similar?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gianlu320 said:

I was trying again the leap motion (Ultra leap) hand tracking.

I have a pimax8k with their hand tracking module and I installed the new ultraleap Gemini software.

My problem is this, I go in DCS options, specials page, I activate the leap motion hand tracking but I don't close the specials page.

The hands work perfectly, they are both tracked perfectly.

As soon as I go out of the specials page and I restart flying, the hands are erratical, they appear and disappear randomly, most of the times only one hand is shown, the tracking is very poor.

Anybody with a pimax or even non pimax experienced anything similar?

Hi
Yes, same problem with 8KX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

@Colmillo

Thanks for confirming this..

I don't think this is a pimax hand tracking module problem or Gemini software problem because the tracking in the Gemini visualizer is perfect and it's perfect even in DCS when you are in the specials page.

But when in cockpit it doesn't work at all with all the symptoms as in post above, I suspect the problem is on DCS side but obviously I can't be sure.

Hopefully ED can take a look when time permits...

• Like 1

The leap hands will turn off if you put in a stick or throttle input, typically the right hand will be hidden more though. Try setting a dead zone for the stick, quite often the centre point still registers enough of an input to hide the hands.

For erratic tracking you need to have a clearly defined hand outline for it to keep track. If surfaces behind your hands are reflecting too much of the IR light then it will prevent ultraleap from tracking. I used self adhesive closed cell foam sheet to absorb the IR light and it tracks perfectly. Look in the visualiser and look for white surfaces, these are what you want to get rid of.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

@edmuss

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

For what regards the hands disappearing when applying any input, I don't think this is my case because this happens even on ground stationary with engines shut but you gave me an idea.

As you say I might still have some input from not perfectly centered stick so I will load Dcs with my stick and throttle usb detached and let's see what happens.

For what regards reflections, yes I have a big screen in front of me and for sure this is a reflection source but what I don't understand is why does it work flawlessly in the visualizer or Dcs specials page but not in game?

Can you confirm you are using a pimax as well?

Once again thanks for the help

I will try to troubleshoot and I will report back here

I'm using a G2 and separate leap motion.

You might be surprised about the monitor, I don't think they reflect that much IR. The big one for me was wooden surfaces of my desk and the wall.

Generally it will be close surfaces that reflect the light.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

@edmuss

You gave me big help and pointed me to the right direction.

With my stick and throttle usb detached, the hands work flawlessly so I think you are correct, one of them or both make some input even when at rest.

I will now try to figure which one it is and try to fix it.

For what regards reflections, I covered my screen with a towel while in vr but it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Once again thanks a lot for your help...

@Colmillo hopefully you read this, it might help you as well

• Like 2

I bought equipment from Virpil in the hope that my hands would show up again after I made an entry on the stick. But unfortunately that doesn't work.
The disappearance of the hands is really annoying.

HP Reverb G2

Edited by A.F.

I've just added dampers to my stick so it behaves as a cyclic and doesn't centre itself, the only problem with that is the right hand is almost constantly hidden because the stick is never centralised.

As a test I turned in hand to use control stick (which keeps the hands visible all the time) and it doesn't seem to be grabbing the virtual stick like it used to. Perhaps something to try?

I think it's good that the hands disappear if an input is applied but this should be chosen as an option.

And there should be other options to make the hands appear/disappear when a switches are pressed or throttle and stick, in other words the handtraking should be fully customisable.

Hopefully ED will continue working on this

• Like 1

I think there are always small tweaks being done in the background. Nothing is ever documented in the patch notes but it's gradually getting better all the time.

With my stick dampers fitted I need to have the option for the right hand to control the virtual stick.

My previous experience of using this setting has been terrible because as soon as the glove got near the grip it would snap on and then any further hand movement would move the virtual stick and apply input as such (whilst also taking control input from the physical stick). It generally resulted in a complete loss of control.

During my brief testing last night I couldn't get the gloves to grab the virtual stick at all so I guess the functionality has been tweaked. It's quite possible that the gloves interacting with the virtual hotas has actually been disabled all together and now it's a case of hide the hands with control input; just the options haven't been relabelled as such.

In a way this is a better setup because whilst it's cool using just your hands on a virtual hotas you have no ability to press any of the hotas buttons which sort of defeats the objective of having a hotas in the first place 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even get the tracking software to open. Spent 2 days going through everything and since updating to latest Gemini just won't open. 

The controller is showing connected in devices and green light is on but something is preventing any of the software and services from opening. 

Checked all firewalls and antivirus, run as administrator, all permissions checked. Can't think of anything else.