OT whirlwind vietnam

upyr1

hi,

I got Whirlwind vietnam, the controls seem to be relitvly close to IL-2

so moving about the UH-1's cabin was pretty much atuomatic.

The game seems to be a bit clughis loading up but once going every thing runs smothly. The main issues I had were the lack of a mission builder and option to fly single missions even a quick mission builder would have been welcomed. Next the built in MP3 player is an intersting feature that dose not work, you can load up mp3's but the game dose not seem to run after playing it so word of advice if you want to blast some CCR while blasting Chuck use an Ipod or the like. Next the lask of multiplayer the programer mentions there is not realy an opfor but why not do co-op with either multiple choppers or a player taking each postion on the chopper. Also I could not tell how to hand off features to the AI co-pilot, it would have been nice to have him fie the miniguns while I foucused on flying and missing with the rockets, which brings up one problem I had with the manual. The sight is set to 10 mills I don't know if it could have been adjusted in a real huy but it would have been nice to have a chart to give us a rugh idea on what angle we need to be at to hit a target. I would realy like to see some add ons featureing the Cobra and latter choppers as it so far looks like it could be a great chopper serise if it is furhter developed.

Here is the link to the SIMHQ review: http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_292a.html

Here is a little vid I record to show the napalm explosions:

The overall game is poor but flying the huey is fun and the graphical effects are very nice.

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

If you wish to practise for BS may I suggest a much better game called Vietnam MedEvac. It's an older title, doesn't look like much and you're probably going to have difficulties getting your joystick working, but as far as flying the chopper goes, it's one of the best around. There's a good demo you can try if you're interested.

Lock on MUST have a multiplayer capable dynamic campaign and toe-brakes on an axis!

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

It received a poor review @ SimHQ

now that's something of an understatement.

Someone could forward that to UBI to use as a defense whenever they're getting bagged about LO..

"Oh but at least it's not as buggy as WOV !!!"

(Andy - any idea where I can get a copy of that demo ?)

Cheers.

Whirlwind vietnam is great for a beta product. there is noting wrong with it that changing the title and adding a mission builder like IL-2's and some more attack AC wouldn't fix. I would add the AH-1 A-1 A-4 and A-37 A-26 and may be some jets Dragonfly some coop multiplayer missions and a mission builder.

Here's the link to the Vietnam Medevac demo, I think: http://www.tucows.com/preview/291888

You might need ppjoy or whatever it was called to get your controllers setup properly.

Lock on MUST have a multiplayer capable dynamic campaign and toe-brakes on an axis!

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

Someone could forward that to UBI to use as a defense whenever they're getting bagged about LO..

I disagree with your statement about Wings Over Vietnam (WOV). it is not as sophisticated as LO or never ever will bw close to Falcon 4, and not near as pretty and techincal as IL-2, but it's still has more to offer and nicer and better than many flight simmers think. I think most people don't realize that it goes a bit morein depth than you think. It's just the mission builder and limited included missions don't show al that's there. Only a small group of talented people have been shwoing what can be expanded on. It hs lots of great technical info and material to use just under the surface. If you can understand how to use a mission builder for it you can mkae it really really shine! But, the misison builder (3rd party) is not near as user friendly as most other flight sims. Unfortunately. I find that a shame, but I ask that those of you that find it easier to use this available 3rd party please take a look at it and you wil see a diamond in the rough.

IMHO

:thumbup:

same goes with all ThirdWire products :thumbup:

BTW#,

if you had/have problems flying ThirdWire flight sims online, I found the secret combination of Router ports and have them up on my Router setup help page. I believe my link for this is stil in the www.Thirdwire.com forums.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

Ramstein, you've got two sims mixed up. Wings over Vietnam is a good game, Whirlwind over Vietnam is the really crappy one.

I didnt mix up anything I am well aware of what is what..

:music_whistling:

Weta43 made a statement about WOV and I disagree with him.. that's all.. where did I lose you?

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

yea i think ramstein, you are getting 2 sims confused. We were all talking about Whirlwind over Vietnam, not Wings Over Vietnam.

This is the post I referred to:

If you didnt mean wov, then it should be clear which wov you are talking about..

that's all

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

I'll let it go after this.

In this thread:

Post # 1 :I got Whirlwind vietnam

Post # 2 :It received a poor review @ SimHQ..

Post # 4 :Here is the link to the SIMHQ review

Th review starts :

Review

May 7, 2007

Whirlwind Over Vietnam

by Tom "20mm" Hayden

Post # 6 :

Someone could forward that (review) to UBI to use as a defense whenever they're getting bagged about LO..

I don't see that it's confusing - if you've read the rest of the thread properly ...

Cheers.

hi,

I got Whirlwind vietnam, the controls seem to be relitvly close to IL-2

so moving about the UH-1's cabin was pretty much atuomatic.

The game seems to be a bit clughis loading up but once going every thing runs smothly. The main issues I had were the lack of a mission builder and option to fly single missions even a quick mission builder would have been welcomed. Next the built in MP3 player is an intersting feature that dose not work, you can load up mp3's but the game dose not seem to run after playing it so word of advice if you want to blast some CCR while blasting Chuck use an Ipod or the like. Next the lask of multiplayer the programer mentions there is not realy an opfor but why not do co-op with either multiple choppers or a player taking each postion on the chopper. Also I could not tell how to hand off features to the AI co-pilot, it would have been nice to have him fie the miniguns while I foucused on flying and missing with the rockets, which brings up one problem I had with the manual. The sight is set to 10 mills I don't know if it could have been adjusted in a real huy but it would have been nice to have a chart to give us a rugh idea on what angle we need to be at to hit a target. I would realy like to see some add ons featureing the Cobra and latter choppers as it so far looks like it could be a great chopper serise if it is furhter developed.

I saw this sim in stores recently.

I read the reviews. Is it worth buying or not?

Personaly I feel you should wait until it is in the bargin bin. I don't think it is even worth $30, right now as there is not even a mission editor.

I would like to see them further develop the game it has the potiental of being IL-2 set in vietnam they just need to add more choppers and some fixed wing AC and some multiplayer.