Lets talk about those static sniper tanks in the quickstart mission

jetstorm96

I have to say - it took me about 10 tries flying the gazelle to finally destroy all those tanks on the runway!!!

I thought I was being sneaky - pop just above into sight and KA-BAM! I am blown to smithereens from 3 kilometers away.

Nothing is scarier than popping into view above a building and seeing a huge puff of smoke as the tank round smashes into the building in front of you

That mission is crazy hard!

You need to fire at mor than 4 km from the tanks, because they have AT missiles which are faster than yours, so you can't kill them before they kill you.

If you can keep moving, centering the viviane and firing while not breaking the wire all the time, good for you. I can't, so I search for ridges or forest lines at around 4 km and do pop up attacks.

Also turn off all the lights, AI will take longer to spot you if you don't have any light on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm trying to engage the tanks from 4 km out but my missiles almost always explode before the tanks. Even on the Nevada smooth desert map. What am I doing wrong?

Noticed this on the default map as well, should be able to get around 4300m but i have to get to 3600 to get a good hit.

• 4 months later...
OK, looking at the track log it seems the power lines are OP :D

Do power lines and bodies of water screw up the DCS versions of the HOT? If so I'm impressed.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 months later...

I was getting shot for the first two tries. Then, after dodging a few missiles, I've made a visual que for the city and the forest on the right where their missiles will hit me. It is perfectly possible to blow them up if you hover just above the railway bridge (city) and over the alley road (forest on the right).

I consistenetly get 3 in a row, then one of my missiles gets screwed up because I hit a fence or someting so I have to go back and reload.

OK, looking at the track log it seems the power lines are OP biggrin.gif

Ahh so that might be it.

I felt really incompetent at first, but this mission created some awesome TacView files where I am dodging missiles matrix-style as they fly 3 cm from my engine exhaust, next to the rotor shaft and between the blades as I swing out of the way in the last second. Hollywood type stuff.

was reading about British marine helicopters in Iraq.

the book starts with them being fired on by tanks when they don't know where they are.

a lynx with TOW paired with an unarmed gazelle.

they fly in a large circle.

when one is taking fire the other spots. they finally found the tank in a school and did a run in attack with the lynx. as the tank was still firing its main gun.

they purposely avoided the hover attack.

if you keep moving they cannot hit you.

Turns out the Cantabrian circle from roman times, also works with scout/attack helicopters :)

the light cavalry of the future :)

just operate in pairs and stay opposite sides of the circle.

obviously multiplayer only.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.