Custom handle toggle switches

Tantalum7

Hi,

I was wondering where to get toggle switches that have either replaceable handles or threaded handles or have some sort of shape that would allow someone to add their own handle. I see toggles like the the ones in the cockpit of the Mirage 2000 that have these large bat like shape to them, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the market like them. Are all these switches totally custom made? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked through most of the big suppliers such as Mouser and Digikey as well as Otto and many others. I've looked through dozens of switch spec sheets and haven't been able to find anything quite like what I described. I have the capacity to design and fabricate my own handles, but not much that I found seemed to have replaceable or screw on handles. Even if a company offered something that might possibly be made to work, then were never a stock item and you usually had to buy 100 switches and wait a few months to get them. I'm curious as to what people who try to make Mirage 2K pits are doing to replace those toggles.

Hi,

I was wondering where to get toggle switches that have either replaceable handles or threaded handles or have some sort of shape that would allow someone to add their own handle. I see toggles like the the ones in the cockpit of the Mirage 2000 that have these large bat like shape to them, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the market like them. Are all these switches totally custom made? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Im in the same boat mate, I think you need to get aluminium bar or tube.

With Bar, drill out the core to the size of the toggle and either glue it or drill a small grub nut.

You could then use a drill to rotate it as you shape it and perhaps glue a top on it? Adhesives are tough, you could cut a coin with a Dremel and glue it or epoxy it to a switch head and paint it in chrome paint?

I don't see the switches with the "large bat like shape to them" that you are refering to.

Could you please post a picture?

For my pit I find sometimes real switches on ebay, in particular the big one with the white circle on it. For the little one with the white dot I will make them with a standard switch painted in black.

You can also 3D print a cover that you glue on a standard switch.

Edited by matbog

Oh, I've just understood!!!!! You meant bat like baseball bat not like the animal... :doh:

So yes you speak about the big switches with the white circle.

Look here for 3D printed cover: http://www.checksix-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1582751#p1582751

Are you planning to build a Mirage 2000C Cockpit?

If yes it is a very good news, there is not so much on this forum!

Oh, I've just understood!!!!! You meant bat like baseball bat not like the animal... :doh:

So yes you speak about the big switches with the white circle.

Look here for 3D printed cover: http://www.checksix-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1582751#p1582751

Are you planning to build a Mirage 2000C Cockpit?

If yes it is a very good news, there is not so much on this forum!

Yes, I should have been more specific in describing them. It was baseball bat. I am building some button boxes and perhaps a throttle quadrant that are inspired by the M2000 since I like the aircraft and want to learn to fly it. I have seen your cockpit, and it is magnifique. I don't have the time or the resources for making a full cockpit, but I can still admire your work. Thanks for the suggestions and please keep the images coming!

Everything I have is still in the design phase, but as soon as I have something to show, I will be happy to upload some images. Thanks for asking. I looked through the CheckSix Forums before. I can read French just well enough to get the general idea of what is being said. There are some excellent files and images there for cockpit builders who like the Mirage.

Not sure if anyone is interested or if this will be useful, but I found some switches during an internet search that seem like they might be the ones used in the M2000. One of the images shows an Asian company that seems to provide switches for the Jaguar jet. Since this is also of French make, and they look identical to the ones used in the Mirage, I suspect that they might useful. They are probably too expensive to fill a cockpit with them, but if someone could obtain one, it might be useful to see the dimensions and how it is constructed. I also found a switch for sale on ebay that looks just like the toggle switches with the paddle handles used for certain radar functions. They are made by ECE a French company that definitely has been use to supply switches for the M2000. I'm attaching a couple of images of what I found.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f89d24931e61e2ef75dfa377e18c5cac.jpg

s-l1610.thumb.jpg.36e4286cde38fea23ea2b2df4bff9b13.jpg

1177951802_Screenshotfrom2018-08-2601-33-20.thumb.png.09633ccb9182619b2a3813271296be94.png

Here is a picture of the 3D model of the big switch cap I made from a real switch.

You can find it here : https://cad.onshape.com/documents/69b05354e82a45708ba9e605/w/c3a54da1f964f38f952c7a78/e/0b8267d15187143a87d30556

You can use it to modelize your own or take this one if its suits you.

The knurling can't be printed by the average 3D printer with a 0.4mm nozle so I made a second version without knurling. Maybe the knurling could be printable with a SLA printer...

I will modelize the other switch caps type that I have soon.

Hope it helps!

253258826_ALcaps.thumb.png.24f65f62f52c0a316d075e8ae6683d41.png

Edited by matbog

Here is 3 new models...and the last ones because I have no other types.

The first one is found on the radar mode switch (HFR/BFR)for example.

The second one is found on the radar range switch for example.

The third one is found on the In-flight restart switch.

You can find them with the link I shared earlier.

The printable knurling versions are to be re-worked for a better result but I have no time for this by now.

BB.jpg.f2c622c0912e770e357096b9bbc4ad83.jpg

05.jpg.11e26fa79176a4e9a61230021773b567.jpg

Restart.jpg.73a5255c852a79a9b9aa128f09137441.jpg

Hi Matbog,

Based on the images you put here and shared on your Onshape page, I was able to model up my own version of one of the switch handles, but because the Onshape site didn't allow me to get dimension data from the parts you have there, I just used your images as a sketch background to get the proportions correct. When you get time could you please share the dimensions I have indicated on my model. I should then be able to scale all my models correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

switch.PNG.78c1aed2ef49fb22278dd3fe8717eaeb.PNG

Hi Tantalum,

Yes you can take measurement on Onshape.

For the height (21mm) just left click on the flat surface on top of the switch then on the flat surface on the botom of the switch (use right click + drag to rotate the switch) and the measurement appears in the botom right corner of the screen.

For the diameter (10mm) just click on a circle.

Instead of redrawing the entire piece you can create an account on Onshape and copy my model to be able to modify it in your account.

OnShape Download Possible?

Hi Tantalum,

Yes you can take measurement on Onshape.

For the height (21mm) just left click on the flat surface on top of the switch then on the flat surface on the botom of the switch (use right click + drag to rotate the switch) and the measurement appears in the botom right corner of the screen.

For the diameter (10mm) just click on a circle.

Instead of redrawing the entire piece you can create an account on Onshape and copy my model to be able to modify it in your account.

Great Designed Switch Headers.

Is it possible to download the STL files from OnShape?

It shows read only for me at the top of the page.

thanks!

Thanks again. I didn't notice that the dimensions where displayed when I clicked on the models. I also thought that Onshape had gone to a pay-only model these days instead of being free, so I didn't even look into signing up. Even if I can download the files directly, I will still probably remodel them in my CAD software to be able to better modify and assemble them with my other parts. I'm trying to come up with a design that will allow printed handles to lock onto standard switch handles--without glue if possible, but I haven't quite figured that out yet.