DCS F-18 battery

Vinny002

who what when where and why :D

A little more info would be good to understand what might be going on. What were you doing when the battery was off? Did you leave the lights on again when parked.:music_whistling:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Battery switch is a three position switch, middle being the official... I mean off mode (inside joke with real aviation, not making fun of it here). Just verify you have it correct, beyond that a more accurate description and a track can help a lot.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Battery switch is a three position switch, middle being the official... I mean off mode (inside joke with real aviation, not making fun of it here). Just verify you have it correct, beyond that a more accurate description and a track can help a lot.

OFF = Operation Fully Functional.

ON = Operation Normal.

:doh::pilotfly::music_whistling:

• 4 months later...

They must have left a virtual light on somewhere, that's draining the virtual battery :) I had a car that did that once. Went totally flat if you left it for a week tho. Must love testing batteries, dedication I'll give you that. Where's my multimeter got to.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

hi, guys!

here is the battery drain track!

cheers,

vincent

Vinny. Do telll, how on earth did you find this?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

There's probably a ground leak in the electrical system, bad connection or wire :megalol:

Maybe in reality the F-18 just wants to be an italian car? Ferraris tend to go for no real reason flat after standing for only days (new cars, keep thati n mind) :doh:

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

Maybe in reality the F-18 just wants to be an italian car? Ferraris tend to go for no real reason flat after standing for only days (new cars, keep thati n mind) doh.gif

Good to know if I ever own a Ferrari - or an F-18 for that matter. ;)

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

I too have noticed and can confirm this issue if the F18 is parked for a few hours.

How did I notice it? I have an SP training mission (with all the planes that I own) for practice purposes.

Normally, it's a daytime mission, and it lets me practice all the "normal" stuff (A2A, A2G, refueling, carrier traps, etc.). When it came to doing night VFR / IFR ops & Cat III traps with the Hornet, I ran the mission normally, then parked it on the carrier for a few hours while I went golfing, and then tried to do "night work" when I got back home, only to discover that ground power was needed to start the F18 after that amount of time.

I certainly agree with others that this isn't a big deal, especially compared to the other items they're working on for the bird, but some of us *do* actually run long missions occasionally, so getting this on the fix list (even if it is fairly low priority) would be welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,

PS> Yep. I get that "most people" would simply edit the mission to make a night-time one, but in my case, it was just easier to leave it running... ;):thumbup:

;3782850']Id rather ED not waste their time messing around with an issue nobody is ever realistically going to come across.

nobody would ever run a mission with three hours sitting on tthe ground with the engine off...

If the battery is discharging it's possible it's because there's a bug with the electrical system. It's therefore worth investigating at least, as it might have wider implications.

Just use the ground power, that's what it is there for. These aircraft are not like your car and meant to sit for days without running and then expected to start off the battery. I'm no expert on the electrical system of the F/A-18 but I did work on Hornet many years ago. I expect there are a lot of things that are still powered even with the battery switched off. IIRC they are connected to ground power a lot.

While different operators certainly do use different work flows and operate in different conditions, having ground power available is not a requirement of a Hornet for successful turnarounds with long 'off periods'. Of course, ground crews would use ground power to run complete pre-flights (and the battery would top up in the process), but if several checks were skipped, the plane should do just fine without it.