Sudden Reboot

Bitmaster-- sorry, I just reread your posts about what you were getting at with Linux. If I am understanding it right, you are saying to essentially do all of my "normal" stuff with Linux to see if I can generate a crash? If so, I have two problems.

-I have only ever seen a crash in DCS (twice now), no crashes during any of the stress testing

-This is probably because I use that machine solely for gaming. I won't even open a browser on it under most circumstances

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

-Second, not that I am questioning anyone's expertise, but if the PSU/CPU/GPU were all able to run through a 2 hour stress test without a hickup, I would think that points to hardware not being the problem. Am I missing something?

It could be a strange fault that needs to be triggered. Just like I said about the work PC only faulting sometimes, not sure why it would even run at all with faulty ram? Must have been only be when the ram gets to a loaded level before it would shutdown I guess?

-Finally, and again not to seem disrespectful to anyone's time since you are all being so generous, but I see all sorts of people with 1080ti's in the signature lines, lots (or most, idk) of which I am sure are air cooled. If the 1080ti has such a potential for instability in its natural state, wouldn't there be more people in my shoes? Essentially, I have always been taught in airplanes if something suddenly stops working, undo the last thing you did...the last and only thing I did here was install a factory new GPU and suddenly a once robust systems is failing. Not to be a defeatist but would attempting an RMA with EVGA be out of line? (I don't think I am quite at this point yet, I also did do the very basic step of running a DCS repair after I ran the last stress test. I would like to give it another chance at actually running the game before I make another move when I get back home).

With PC's S%$#^ happens sometimes. I had a PC at work go through 2 PSU's in 6 months.... Your PC is a few years old now, there are 100s of parts of each components that could potentially fail at some point in time, just like an aircraft. Some parts have to be rebuilt in aircraft after certain flight hours right, there's a lot more riding on these parts tho, like your life so just replace or rebuild when those hours are up. PC's, not so much and should last anywhere between a three to five years, we are not so worried when they fail, but they will. In business I just do the upgrades because we cannot have the downtime, so we spend the $ and also have local and cloud backup shadowprotect that's offsite, most home PC's don't bother with this. Some should tho that have important files at home, as you would lose everything in a fire.

That three to five years for a PC also depends on the parts quality and upgrades done etc.

Are you using 2 separate cables coming from the PSU to the new 1080ti, not that it should matter? It would be better and perhaps be worth a shot.

I also came across an old cool video that Demon should like :D

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

tom_19d you're right my supposition about 1080Ti voltage don't seem to be logically in relation with your issue, but like David_OC said weird things can occure, and a sim or specific app can trigger an issue while the usages are lower than a stresstest.

I remember trying a cpu 5.0Ghz profile, running realbench stress for 30mn ok, and having a crash after 1 minute flying p3d...

………..-I have always used GPU-Z to monitor new cards/setups/ect but I never really understood the vRel which always shows up as the "capping" factor on the card. Also, I can confirm that when the card is being pushing I almost always see 1.043 as the voltage, although I have seen it on occasion go to 1.050, never higher than that. So are saying that as the card senses it is warming up, it is limiting itself to 1.043 volts, when it is capable of handling more? I guess I just don't have the background to understand what vRel really means…...

Stock voltage is not enough for air-cooled 1080Ti when the card just start working full load, so as the card is warming up, this stock voltage is even more a problem because relation temperature/voltage efficiency (the higher the temps are, the higher voltage is needed to work stable) and gpu can't increase voltage - only you with software.

Of course it doesn't mean air-cooled 1080Ti can't work out of the box, it's just a supposition that unlocking the stock voltage and making the fans work max (that suppress the voltage cap for air-coold Ti) can maybe have an impact upon a weird crash issue. It's just an easy thing to try and see if it matters or not. Imo it's not unsafe.

RMA may be complicated if problem is specific to 1 app ? idk…

I had this happen after I built a new PC - it turned out that I'd tried to overclock my RAM too high. Even though they were rated DDR4 3200, I could only get them to be stable at 2933mhz, if I ran them at 3200 then I would get random restarts every 30-90 minutes.

100% true

my 3600 RAM will and does cause trouble at certain speeds lower than it's rating. They ran prime95 for hours but crashed sooner or later doing ordinary stuff. Clocked it down and it went away. RAM can be tricky and a bitch.

If you are unsure, set it to 2133MHz for testing, just to be safe.

In the end, you have to change parts with a friend or in a shop to find the bad part..or find the bad firmware/driver...whatever.

I am down to blame my freezes to either HDD or DVD spinning up for whatever reason and until it does so my PC locks up for a few secs, very very annoying. Gonna disconn all my NON-SSD's and see what happens.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

DAVID, that is a great video !

Keep it bookmarked for the next guy asking "PSU" Haha

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I ran the 2 hour BenchMark stress test. Test OK was the result, 24x Result Hash Match. GPU maxed out at 63C. CPU maxed out at 61C. Obviously the machine didn't reboot mid-run.

Some things to check. In your BIOS, do you have an option to "reboot after failure" or similar option? I'm wondering if you're shutting down due to PSU issue and BIOS is rebooting it after the fact.

Also, I had a problem with memory (and your problem sounds like it's similar) and I had to rule it out by removing pairs of stick at a time. Prime, Memtest (paid version, no less) never found it. I had to identify it by removing it and playing until I nailed down the bad stick. All for naught since Corsair stopped making my SKU and just gave me four new sticks. Memtest didn't find my issue, but might be worth a shot.

So I had a PSU problem that only PUBG would trigger, and a memory stick problem that showed its head mostly in DCS, but that's because I use the PC for DCS most of the time.

Good luck.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Alright everybody, I ended up getting home more than a day early this week so I had some time tonight to try some things. NVIDIA had a new driver out so I started with that as a clean install. Then I deleted my FXO and metashaders2 (because I saw somewhere where someone thought that helps with something) and started playing.

Once again, on the 2nd mission of Georgian Hammer CA, about 30 minutes in, watching one of my mavs making a nice smoke trail towards a T72, and hard reboot. This makes the 3rd crash, all during DCS. This time however, I had GPU-Z logging to a fresh file so I will attach that. Additionally, I have my GPU-Z from the 2 hour RealBench stress test. Finally, I will attach a 3rd log, this one from another benchmark called Valley. I ran this after the computer rebooted tonight, I thought it might help as kind of a control.

Some things I have noticed

-on the GPU-Z from the benchmarks I notice my card's memory is hardly touched, but on the DCS log it keeps becoming more and more filled. I have no idea if this is normal.

-I notice that while I am playing DCS most of the time the PerfCap reason is 4, which I am guessing is vRel, with a voltage of 1.05. However, there were times it went 16 which I am guessing is idle (I'm going to self edit myself right here, I just remembered I ran the first mission of the campaign again. I'm sure that ~5 minute period of idle was between missions while I was planning and editing my loadout. However, I do notice it briefly goes to idle during the second gaming period. I have "max power" or whatever set in the NVIDIA control panel so I don't know why that would have happened).

-I went into the Windows event logs after the crash, because after the second crash i couldn't find any errors or messages. I think (although using the windows event viewer is new to me) that I was mistaken after the first crash. Because after the last two crashes I have examined the time stamps very closely and it appears to me the machine is trucking along fine and just suddenly dropping. So not the "graceful" shutdown as we previously thought. My apologies for the false symptom there, I realize that makes all our your lives harder as you help me diagnose this.

All of that said, I'm open to whatever insight anyone has about these logs. In the meantime, my plan of attack is to follow the advice of many of you and start trying to isolate components. Thanks to everyone pointing out RAM. I have 4 8GB sticks, each identical. However, I only added the 2nd pair earlier this year. I will pull that pair first and try to replicate, then repeat with the second pair installed.

If that fails to reveal a bad stick, I have a friend in town with an identical PSU (we essentially have twin machines) so I will try to talk him out of his PSU for a little bit, test, and go from there.

If that all doesn't reveal an answer, I will be really looking at the GPU at which point I will have to decide if I have a case for an RMA or if I should try toutenglisse's suggestion of getting more voltage to the card.

Thanks again everyone

And to answer a couple questions

-hansangb I will check my BIOS setting for that. As I said early on, to me the behavior when it happens is reminiscent to someone triggering the reset switch on the case while I am playing.

-David- yes they are 2 discreet cables that came with the PSU. They are labeled PCI-E on the end that plugs into the card. They are the style that can either be 6 pins or 8 at the load end, the plug clips together kind of like a lego at the end if you need all 8 pins (which I do- so 2 discreet cables with 8 pin plugs on the end of each).

GPU-Z Sensor Log - 2 Hour Stress Test 27 Aug.txt

GPU-Z Sensor Log 29 August Crash.txt

GPU-Z Sensor Log Valley Benchmark 29 Aug.txt

Multiplayer as Variable

Thanks to everyone pointing out RAM. I have 4 8GB sticks, each identical. However, I only added the 2nd pair earlier this year. I will pull that pair first and try to replicate, then repeat with the second pair installed.

I would definitely start with the ram. It's better to get a "matched kit" for best compatibility. Keep them in there "matched pairs" when you purchases them when testing. Also dial back any overclocking, if you have it clocked?

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

My point is : if you only changed the GPU on your current build and you kept all of the components there is no point investigating ram or other components.

Your system was running fine before the new gpu right? You had no reboots, all was ok

What brand/model is your 1080ti?

looking at your crash log, computer rebooted when GPU tdp reached 71.0 % ( last line of crash log), and 71% TDP its the maximum TDP reached bt your CPU,so it could certainly be your PSU not being able to keep power for the new GPU.

As other said try using 2 psu cable on 2 different 12v rails.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

David- no overclocking, now or ever

Goa- it is an EVGA. And I am using two cables and from my understanding of rails I am doing what you suggest. In post 25 I have a picture of my PSU and explain how I am plugged into it (as well as at the very end of my last post). If I don't have this correct please let me know (no sarcasm here, just acknowledgment that I might be way off and I want to get this fixed haha).

Multiplayer as Variable

I believe I have ruled out the RAM question.

Mobo is an ASUS Z-97 and if you only have 2 sticks it recommends running them in slots A2 and B2. So i pulled the pair out of A1 and B1, set aside in their packaging, and ran the game. About 25 minutes into the same mission I have been using, hard crash. GPU-Z log attached.

I pulled out the pair from A2 and B2 and placed them aside. Reinstalled the previously removed RAM into slots A2 and B2, and ran the game. Same mission, same crash. Log attached.

After the second crash I combed through the windows event log carefully. Not a single systems messaged posted in the 5 minutes before the crash. There is a 5 minute gap, then an "operating system started at XX:XX time" event for when the machine started back up.

I have a hard time believing there is a bad stick in both pair of RAM that finally decided to manifest itself just when I installed a new GPU. PSU next is my plan, any thoughts?

EDIT

Note on the first crash. The log shows a stretch of reduced load on the card right before the crash. This was because I had cleared out the road my friendly tanks were to advance down and I was "heads down" in the F10 map ordering my units forward. I got them moving, clicked F1 to get back into the cockpit, looked over my shoulder and BAM, crash. The second time I was just setting up for a mav shot and it crashed.

GPU-Z Sensor Log 30 August Crash 1.txt

GPU-Z Sensor Log 30 Aug Crash 2.txt

Edited by tom_19d

Multiplayer as Variable

Do it again :)

put ONE module into ANY of the 4 slots or 2 of them in A1 and B1, that also works.

maybe one of A2 and B2 slots have a malfunction..

I have run the mission 3 times now, at least 30 minutes at a go, with no crashes. Hopefully I am not speaking too soon but this will be very anticlimactic. I did pull the DIMMS out of A2 and B2, but before I did I booted in safe mode and ran DDU. It then ran fine on 2 DIMMS. Then 4 DIMMS. Then on all 4 sticks and with my graphics settings where I like them.

I had performed a clean install through the NVIDIA driver but apparently that wasn’t good enough...if the problem is indeed solved. And I feel like I have wasted lots of good people’s effort.

Multiplayer as Variable

:thumbup:

I have run the mission 3 times now, at least 30 minutes at a go, with no crashes. Hopefully I am not speaking too soon but this will be very anticlimactic. I did pull the DIMMS out of A2 and B2, but before I did I booted in safe mode and ran DDU. It then ran fine on 2 DIMMS. Then 4 DIMMS. Then on all 4 sticks and with my graphics settings where I like them.

I had performed a clean install through the NVIDIA driver but apparently that wasn’t good enough...if the problem is indeed solved. And I feel like I have wasted lots of good people’s effort.

I am glad you sorted out, an finger crossed I hope you'll not be facing again more crashes.

Just in case you migth encounter again the same issue: do a clearcmos of your motherboard bios, and if necessary also upgrade your bios assuming your're not running the lastest version

and btw most of the motherboards suggest using slots A2/B2 when running dualchannel kits of 2 dimms.

Usually also when making these kind of upgrades OS formatting is iMHO need even tough not necessary, but some old drivers/chipset configuration could intefere with the new GPU...

:)

clearcmos is a good start for this problems.

Edited by Goa

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

and btw most of the motherboards suggest using slots A2/B2 when running dualchannel kits of 2 dimms.

Thanks, as stated in post 37 of the thread I am aware, Bitmaster was just pointing out there was a point of failure I had failed to cover. Thanks for the advice about CMOSclear though.

Flew a 1:45 minute campaign sortie this morning, no issues. So hopefully I am in the clear. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Multiplayer as Variable

• 2 months later...

Just to close this one out from earlier this summer. It turns out DDU and all my other machinations weren't the answer, after my post on the last day of August more hard reboots ensued.

I contacted Corsair and did an expedited warranty swap on the PSU (they shipped immediately and put a hold on my card until they got my old power supply). They even sent a slightly newer model of my old 750 watt PSU and it has been flawless since I installed it.

Multiplayer as Variable