DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

Looking forward to this one 😁

hope it’s easier to manage on take off than the single engine warbirds - will be interesting to see how that’s modelled...!

Two Merlins, not paired / opposite rotation promises a lot of torque, but OTH, vertical  tail stabiliser isn’t directly behind the prop wash and the undercarriage has a fairly wide track

what would be the easiest way to get a differential throttle setting on an older single axis throttle (TM Cougar)?

Apparently the FB variants were slower than the PR and B variants. Not that 360mph was exactly slow.

FBs were heavier as the structure was reinforced to withstand hard manoeuvring, draggy as they had external pylons for bombs and gas and the flat fighter windscreen. The FBs all had single stage Merlins as well I think, there were never enough multi stage Merlins to go round. Small changes could lose a lot of speed the NF variants lost 20mph by being painted with a certain type of black paint.

The prototype Mosquito re-engined with 2 stage Merlins was good for nearly 440mph. Incredible performance for 1942.

Edited by Mogster

This document suggest that the actual speed that could be achieved was 384mph.

" All-out level speed is often given as 368 mph (592 km/h), although this speed applies to aircraft fitted with saxophone exhausts. The test aircraft (HJ679) fitted with stub exhausts was found to be performing below expectations. It was returned to de Havilland at Hatfield where it was serviced. Its top speed was then tested and found to be 384 mph (618 km/h), in line with expectations."

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mosquito/hj679-dh.pdf

It also appears to be with external wing tanks so 371mph at Angels 5 without. 

If that data is accurate that would give it roughly the same speed at sea level as both the D9 and the K4! 🤔 😵

Edited by Krupi
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

11 hours ago, Mogster said:

Apparently the FB variants were slower than the PR and B variants. Not that 360mph was exactly slow.

FBs were heavier as the structure was reinforced to withstand hard manoeuvring, draggy as they had external pylons for bombs and gas and the flat fighter windscreen. The FBs all had single stage Merlins as well I think, there were never enough multi stage Merlins to go round. Small changes could lose a lot of speed the NF variants lost 20mph by being painted with a certain type of black paint.

The prototype Mosquito re-engined with 2 stage Merlins was good for nearly 440mph. Incredible performance for 1942.

@Mogster, you are confusing different speed measurements. The absolute top speed of FB.VI 386 mph, which is achieved around 23,000 feet was indeed low even for a mid 1943 plane. However, FB.VIs rarely operated above 10,000 feet, therefore this absolute top speed is completely irrelevant.

After a short production run with Merlin 23 engines, FB.VI were fitted with Merlin 25 engines that are optimized for low altitudes. Two stage compressors were not needed under 10,000 feet and even the high speed gear was rarely needed (switch from low to high gear is at around 12,000). We don’t have a good test for sea level speed with Merlin 25s, short exhaust stubs and no flame shrouds - various people attempted to estimate the sea level speed at these conditions (130 fuel) and came up with numbers in the range 350-360 mph. Comparative tests by the RAF resulted in FB.VI being significantly faster than any Spitfire at sea level and slightly faster than Griffon powered Spit Mk.XII which was the fastest spit on the deck.

The FB.VI was the fastest mosquito at sea level and that is where it operated. PR models were the fastest in terms of max speeds at ~30,000 feet because that is where they operated. NF (night fighter) mosquitoes were optimized to operate around 20,000 feet. B (bomber) variants were optimized for speed with a full bomb load - for this reason the engines are mounted a little forward than in the NF and FB variants and this is a little less optimal when testing the max speed with an empty bomb bay. De Havilland were meticulous in optimizing for a mission profile, not for the sales brochure figures.

The empty weight of FB.VI was heavier than the other variants (except FB.XVIII tse-tse) because of added armor that the PR and B models completely lacked and NF had less of, and the cannons and MGs that PR and B also completely lacked.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

6 hours ago, Bozon said:

@Mogster, you are confusing different speed measurements. The absolute top speed of FB.VI 386 mph, which is achieved around 23,000 feet was indeed low even for a mid 1943 plane. However, FB.VIs rarely operated above 10,000 feet, therefore this absolute top speed is completely irrelevant.

After a short production run with Merlin 23 engines, FB.VI were fitted with Merlin 25 engines that are optimized for low altitudes. Two stage compressors were not needed under 10,000 feet and even the high speed gear was rarely needed (switch from low to high gear is at around 12,000). We don’t have a good test for sea level speed with Merlin 25s, short exhaust stubs and no flame shrouds - various people attempted to estimate the sea level speed at these conditions (130 fuel) and came up with numbers in the range 350-360 mph. Comparative tests by the RAF resulted in FB.VI being significantly faster than any Spitfire at sea level and slightly faster than Griffon powered Spit Mk.XII which was the fastest spit on the deck.

The FB.VI was the fastest mosquito at sea level and that is where it operated. PR models were the fastest in terms of max speeds at ~30,000 feet because that is where they operated. NF (night fighter) mosquitoes were optimized to operate around 20,000 feet. B (bomber) variants were optimized for speed with a full bomb load - for this reason the engines are mounted a little forward than in the NF and FB variants and this is a little less optimal when testing the max speed with an empty bomb bay. De Havilland were meticulous in optimizing for a mission profile, not for the sales brochure figures.

The empty weight of FB.VI was heavier than the other variants (except FB.XVIII tse-tse) because of added armor that the PR and B models completely lacked and NF had less of, and the cannons and MGs that PR and B also completely lacked.

Agreed, You seem to misunderstand my post.  But you just know there’s going to be endless posts because the FB Mosquito is “useless” because it doesn’t do 400+ mph at 20k.

6 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Agreed, You seem to misunderstand my post.  But you just know there’s going to be endless posts because the FB Mosquito is “useless” because it doesn’t do 400+ mph at 20k.

True, but people can choose to fly a Viggen at 20k feet if they want to, doesn't make it a bad module or make them sensible!

Folks,

This is a very informative book: Royal Air Force 1939-1945 Vol III The Fight Is Won by Hilary St.George Saunders: Good (1954) | World of Rare Books (abebooks.co.uk)

Published by Her Majesty's Stationary Office in 1954, it gives some great information, including Mosquito timed bomb delay fuses for missions including 10 and 11-second delay and also 30-second delay fused bombs. 

Page 150 explains how for some targets "preliminary tests with instantaneously fused bombs dropped from a height of 2,000 ft gave no results.  It proved necessary , therefore, to descend to tree-top level and throw the bomb into the main building..."

Page 151 explains how eight to ten Mosquito aircraft attacked targets "flying in pairs, the first armed with 30-second delay fused bombs, the remainder with 10 second."

Therefore, I certainly suggest that we need the ability to adjust our Mosquito bomb delay timed fuses from zero to at least 30-seconds.

Happy landings,

Talisman

P.S.  Volumes I and II of the above book are also a very good read.

Bell_UH-1 side.png

On 1/22/2021 at 3:11 PM, Talisman_VR said:

Therefore, I certainly suggest that we need the ability to adjust our Mosquito bomb delay timed fuses from zero to at least 30-seconds.

Agree....

Meanwhile, I see lots of new screenshots of the Hind appearing today, but nothing new on our Mosquito as yet. Seems odd considering the Mosquito is releasing this quarter (within the next 8 weeks and 5 days - not that I'm counting or anything!!!) and the Hind is slated for sometime in Q2.

C'mon ED, we need some Mosquito hype!...

Edited by bart
  • Like 2

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

You may not get any heads up on this one as I do not think ED make those kind of statements after they already stated it should be out in quarter one or words to that effect.

Eight weeks is not long to wait, if it takes that long, is it?

Edited by Dinga

20 hours ago, Jester986 said:

Implying early access will be sometime after March 5th.

That's what I thought too when I read it.

EDIT : - Something else I noticed too..... no sign of the old girl in the latest "Reach For The Sky" video by ED. Wonder why?

Edited by bart

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

46 minutes ago, Land0 said:

Yeah, I've been really disappointed too with the lack of updates/screenshots. Seems to be more coming out about Marianas and the Hind. I hope they start the hype train and video previews on youtube rolling soon!

+100

Far too quiet on news about the Mosquito......

6 hours ago, rkk01 said:

I see that @BIGNEWY has commented in the Facebook DCS World 2.7 comments section - Mossie progressing well and already favourite warbird

What is a facebook?

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I have my PayPal account ready for the Mossie. Standing by...

• Like 1

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:20 PM, Snowy55 said:

Standing by...

It may be worth taking a seat......

Looks like we have a while to wait yet. 😞

Edited by bart