DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

Not this week 😞

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

We are improving the external model using newly acquired blueprints. Improved 3D modelling techniques have allowed us to include finer details. As a result, the smallest rivets, welds and fabric seams are visible.

At Early Access stage DCS: Mosquito FB Mk.VI will have different skins available, including those used in the famous Operation Jericho. The remainder of the work will be focused on finalising the bulged bomb-bay fairing and hydraulic bomb doors, the wing pylons and external fuel tanks. This will allow DCS: Mosquito FB Mk.VI to carry two 500 lb bombs internally (with fins cropped to fit) plus another two under the wings.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/

presumably this means ED have gained access to the stash of drawings found at Airbus and handed to The People’s Mosquito project…?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zcrazyx said:

so who wants to do low level raids on SOW when the mossie is here

Count me in, and if there isn't enough module slots on the server to go around (due to the mass hype of finally getting the old girl in our hangar!) I would be happy to Nav for someone, just don't get us killed that's all! lol.

11 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

presumably this means ED have gained access to the stash of drawings found at Airbus and handed to The People’s Mosquito project…?

This was the first thing that came to my mind too when I read it. Got to be a good thing though, I'm all for more historical accuracy.

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

24 minutes ago, Nealius said:

With the long-ish delay, is there hope of either rockets or delayed fuses+skip bombing coming with initial release?

UK rockets and bombs has present on DCS World directories, delayed fuses and skip bombing has a core funtionality. Fuses has posible, skip bombing none yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DCS update quote.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled by the reference to "the bulged bomb bay fairing..." and how it applies to the FB Mk VI. Clearly the forward half of the bay is taken up by the 20mm cannon. Depending on your preferred source (I'm recalling from memory thinking of Sharp & Bowyer's wonderful Mosquito) the idea behind shortening the fins on 500 lb bombs came from 105 & 139 Squadrons trials to get 4 x 500 lb in the bomb bay of their B Mk IVs. Perhaps the Dev's reference is to Mk VI Series ii blueprints. I would be gobsmacked if they tried to put bulged bomb bay doors fitted to bombers to permit carriage of the 4000 pound "cookie."

Thoughts?

11 hours ago, Robi-wan said:

DCS update quote.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled by the reference to "the bulged bomb bay fairing..." and how it applies to the FB Mk VI. Clearly the forward half of the bay is taken up by the 20mm cannon. Depending on your preferred source (I'm recalling from memory thinking of Sharp & Bowyer's wonderful Mosquito) the idea behind shortening the fins on 500 lb bombs came from 105 & 139 Squadrons trials to get 4 x 500 lb in the bomb bay of their B Mk IVs. Perhaps the Dev's reference is to Mk VI Series ii blueprints. I would be gobsmacked if they tried to put bulged bomb bay doors fitted to bombers to permit carriage of the 4000 pound "cookie."

Thoughts?

Yeh, I thought that was odd too.

9 hours ago, Harry.R said:

Maybe they are going to release two versions..hence the extra time taken to re-build the 3D model?  Most likely someone just misread the memo with what to put in the Friday dream sheet.  😉

Ohh pretty please with sugar on top make this true 🙏

Anyway, I was looking for pictures of the FB.VI doors to see if something is bulged there and came across this gem:

https://www.brickmania.com/dh-98-mosquito-fb-mk-vi-wwii-twin-engine-fighter-bomber/

Yes, it’s a totally awesome lego mosquito with retractable gears, functional bomb bay doors, and two crew members…

If they get this in stock again, I know what my next toy will be…

2264_Cover-Webcard__06350.1568729725.jpg

2264-Action-Shot__00449.1568729484.jpg?c

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 3

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

13 hours ago, Robi-wan said:

DCS update quote.jpg

Thoughts?

Yes this confused me as well, I have only heard mention of the bulged door on the bomber variant! Apparently it was first seen on modified B Mk IV.

Royal_Air_Force_Bomber_Command%2C_1942-1

Edited by Krupi
  • Like 3

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

The pic above shows the single-stage Merlin. 

B.IX used Two-stage supercharged Merlin 70 series. 
That difference is quite obvious, the engine nacelles having a modified, larger intake directly below the (paddle blade) prop like on this PR.34

R.b721caa0ab2aec76b0b417c0386296ba?rik=c

Edited by alt-92

5 hours ago, rkk01 said:

B.IV mod for the 4000 lbs cookie… carried forward to the B.IX

From the engine perspective I think I read that the B.IX had later series Merlins, whereas the B.IV and FB.VI were similar / same…

I realize that we are now heading off on a tangent from the FB Mk VI. My apologies, but I just love the history of this airplane.

Sharp & Bowyer as well as Bowman (Wings of Fame Vol 18) state that only 20 B Mk IVs were modified to carry the cookie. These airplanes used Merlin 21 or 23 motors.

The B Mk IX was a progression/variation of the PR Mk IX with Merlin 71/72 or 76/77 motors (as you alluded to). Only 54 B Mk IXs were delivered, all between April and November of 1943. I have not come across a definitive number that could carry the cookie. Bowman again in WoF Volume 18 on page 59 writes "a handful" were modified.

The B Mk XVI was a progression/variation of the PR Mk XVI with Merlin 72/73 or 76/77 motors. Total deliveries between and November 1943 through May 1945 (~VE Day) was 356 based upon the delivery charts by Sharp & Bowyer. I don't have a definitive number of airplanes that could carry the cookie.

WRT the Packard-Merlin powered Canadian built B Mk XX and B Mk XXV, I'm uncertain if they were modified.   

Edit: From Sharp & Bowyer's Mosquito page 106, only five B Mk XXVs (KB409, 416, 490, 561, 625) received the bulged bomb bay doors. These few went to No. 627 Sqn according to the text on page 104. Apparently 8 Group had pushed to get their Canadian built aircraft modified with the bulged doors, but Pathfinder gear caused a CG problem that would require re-fit with different motors. Considering the logistics problems getting spares for Canadian built airplanes, the plan was abandoned. 

Edited by Robi-wan

As far as I know, B.XVI were coming out of the factory with the bulged bomb bay and were the main variant to carry the cookie.

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

B.IV mod for the 4000 lbs cookie… carried forward to the B.IX

From the engine perspective I think I read that the B.IX had later series Merlins, whereas the B.IV and FB.VI were similar / same…

Bomber variants did not use the Merlin 25s which were optimized for too low altitudes. Early FB.VIs did use Merlin 21s and 23s same as most B.IV, but the vast majority of FB.VIs had the 25s that were far superior in FB.VI’s missions profiles.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

24 minutes ago, Bozon said:

As far as I know, B.XVI were coming out of the factory with the bulged bomb bay and were the main variant to carry the cookie.

We're on the same page. After a bit more checking, again using Bowman's WoF article (page 59) all B Mk XVI except the first twelve produced were "cookie" capable. All the pictures of B Mk XVIs that I've seen show the bulged bomb bay doors. Just reading No. 608 Sqn ORB, their B Mk XXs were not cookie capable (standard load was 4 x 500 lb). Once they started flying Mk XVIs, it was cookies all the time. 

I didn’t say as much… but I guess where I was going…

If ED are genuinely hinting at the bulged bomb bay doors of the B variant cookie mod, then it would most likely be a B.IV with Merlin 21s…???  

A B.IX or B.XVI requiring much more significant changes (which would be perfectly ok with me…😎)

On 7/30/2021 at 4:41 PM, zcrazyx said:

so who wants to do low level raids on SOW when the mossie is here

Read this on the SOW website :

<====

Status update: 13 July 2021 

Based on comments from ED staff on Discord and Youtube, we have been led to believe that ED will move resources to at least some of these bugs once the Mosquito is released. SoW will not be integrating the Mosquito into the server's plane-sets until the promised bug fixes are delivered to the customers. 

DCS FW 190 A-8 problems...

====>

Legitimate decision when we know that the designers of the missions on SOW try to be historically very accurate.
Mine is not more purchase of modules, maps, add-on until ED fixes bugs (sometimes very old) on the WWII era, especially on the Anton.

• Like 2

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!

Yeah, as always ED teams running like firefighters from one extreme to another trying to keep fires under control. That perhaps could make people think how small ED teams are and how they manage nonetheless to deliver and finish things in the end despite not being a huge brand with unlimited workers and resources available, hence one could appreciate the magnificent work they make in such a niche market as flight sims are with their hard work. Or not… 🙄

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

18 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Yeah, as always ED teams running like firefighters from one extreme to another trying to keep fires under control. That perhaps could make people think how small ED teams are and how they manage nonetheless to deliver and finish things in the end despite not being a huge brand with unlimited workers and resources available, hence one could appreciate the magnificent work they make in such a niche market as flight sims are with their hard work. Or not… 🙄

S!

<sarcasm>
That justifies settling for buggy modules.
</sarcasm>

• Like 1

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!

• 2 weeks later...

A piece of nostalgia here for me (from another game). I didn't realize it has been 6 years already since I made this flic.

I miss Mosquito action so much. Not much longer to wait... not much... 🙏 🤩

Edited by Bozon

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:09 AM, Nirvi said:

In_Dev_30.07.2021.6.jpg

In_Dev_30.07.2021.5.jpg

So much wait to see some rivets and screws ? I don't understand that part. And i think LOD will do  the job making this invisible from greater distance.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor