DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

I can think of reasons for against using them.

tiresome to hold the brakes

some aircraft are sketchy to remove chocks with when running

A lot of aircraft can hop the chocks at engine run up rpm

Chocks may serve as a back up incase the brakes are not working for some reason, though normally breaks are checked before taxiing. 

As far as i remember brakes on british pneumatic brakes you had to hold the lever in to release the brakes, thats how i remember it. I even inverted the axis in game as it was tiring holding it all the time.

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Sydy said:

Even modern fighters use chocks anyway…

No one denied this, the question is not whether they were used by WWII aircraft, but whether this feature is more important than others. I will submit it for review with the team, but I can see a lot more important issues in front of it currently.

• Like 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

25 minutes ago, NineLine said:

No one denied this, the question is not whether they were used by WWII aircraft, but whether this feature is more important than others. I will submit it for review with the team, but I can see a lot more important issues in front of it currently.

Hi NineLine,

Cool! I didn’t notice the matter of priorities.
I completely understand the need to prioririze the most need features.

At this point I do not have a broad view of the module stage of development to make a solid argument. You guys know it better, for sure. We trust in you, guys.

All the best,

Sydy

On 9/1/2021 at 9:55 PM, NineLine said:

For what purpose do we need chokes for the fighters? I need to understand the reason if I am to ask the team about it.

AFIAK the Mosquito uses air brakes, overnight the air pressure leaks off, so when first starting, chocks need to be used.

Once the air pressure has built up (No 1 engine has an air compressor), the air brakes/parking lock, could be used but for run ups, etc. it was common to use chocks.

The Spitfire also uses air brakes and a engine driven compressor, although it may be fighter - AFAIK it also requires wheel chocks when first started.

Note: I'm not very familiar with either aircraft outside of their "pilot notes" and wartime film footage, so you should check with SME's for definitive answers, etc.

Edited by Ramsay
typo

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

ROFL....and I was only joking.....but some go to great lengths just to prove a point on this forum....I've got to admire your dedication here bro...whilst truly anal,it's breathtakingly admirable at the same time,very well done indeed,pat on head...hope it did'nt take you too long to gather all those pictures btw.

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

6 hours ago, Basco1 said:

ROFL....and I was only joking.....but some go to great lengths just to prove a point on this forum....I've got to admire your dedication here bro...whilst truly anal,it's breathtakingly admirable at the same time,very well done indeed,pat on head...hope it did'nt take you too long to gather all those pictures btw.

Sorry, but this had me on the floor, I couldn't stop laughing!!!

BTW like your avatar, have you read up on the gentleman concerned? Quite a character and a born leader. A very very brave man, the sort you would gladly follow down the barrel of a gun and someone you would be proud to fly with, I know I would have been. If you haven't looked into him and his exploits I would definitely recommend it.

Edited by bart
  • Thanks 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, bart said:

BTW like your avatar, have you read up on the gentleman concerned? Quite a character and a born leader. A very very brave man, the sort you would gladly follow down the barrel of a gun and someone you would be proud to fly with, I know I would have been. If you haven't looked into him and his exploits I would definitely recommend it.

Yes bart...George 'Pick' Pickard quite a man...what you can call a real life hero in the true sense of the word.....not one of modern day life's heroes like certain film stars,footballers or other transparent cardboard cut outs too many to mention,in a world where the word hero and legend are used every other day.

But to answer your question,yes I am very aware of the gentleman's exploits,he has always been a hero of mine,and I think that he has not had the kind recognition that he truly deserves.So I chose to use his picture as my avatar to give him a small tribute in recognition of his short but full life.

Just to inform anyone that does not know about this chap....he led the attack on the Amiens prison raid commonly known as Operation Jericho or RAMROD 564 in February 1944,but lost his life at only 28 after leading that raid.

Link here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Charles_Pickard

Edited by Basco1
  • Like 3

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

• 2 weeks later...

That Amiens prison raid is the stuff of legend. Unfortunately it is also the stuff of folly. Dangerous, and from a strategic viewpoint completely unnecessary, ultimately it resulted in two thirds of the escaped prisoners being recaptured with a 100 or so prisoners dying in the bombing raid. A complete fools errand that among other casualties claimed Pickard's life. What a waste. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

34 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That Amiens prison raid is the stuff of legend. Unfortunately it is also the stuff of folly. Dangerous, and from a strategic viewpoint completely unnecessary, ultimately it resulted in two thirds of the escaped prisoners being recaptured with a 100 or so prisoners dying in the bombing raid. A complete fools errand that among other casualties claimed Pickard's life. What a waste. 

Doesn’t sit well with most assessments of the raid…?

42 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I totally agree,a lot of these raids did not have the desired effect.....the Dambusters raid only resulted in halting something like three months worth of war production,but hindsight is a wonderful thing,there was a war on and something had to be done.

Many of these raids were marvelous for morale at a time when the world was in a very dark place,so I for one condone the actions that were taken.I just accept that you can't get it right every time and that at the very least your are seen as doing something rather than nothing....just sitting on your hands and being clever does'nt win wars,especially that war where we had to defeat tyranny.

Edited by Basco1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Try and get yourself a copy of the book "The Jail Busters" by Robert Lyman.

It tells of the real reasons behind the raid, and was a real eye opener to me. You also have to take into consideration that this was just one raid in the whole war. It served a purpose at that time in the war, and there was a bigger picture going on in the back ground. The book tells of how it was and why it was done, omitting any conspiracy theories which seem to have attached themselves to this particular raid as time has marched on.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Try and get yourself a copy of the book "The Jail Busters" by Robert Lyman.

It tells of the real reasons behind the raid, and was a real eye opener to me. You also have to take into consideration that this was just one raid in the whole war. It served a purpose at that time in the war, and there was a bigger picture going on in the back ground. The book tells of how it was and why it was done, omitting any conspiracy theories which seem to have attached themselves to this particular raid as time has marched on.
Thanks for the book tip.
Bought!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Basco1 said:

Many of these raids were marvelous for morale at a time when the world was in a very dark place,so I for one condone the actions that were taken

The RAF and Pickard did what they were asked to do, and then some. I don't disagree about that part. But was Amiens really worth it? IMO I don't think so. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 9/1/2021 at 10:55 PM, NineLine said:

For what purpose do we need chokes for the fighters? I need to understand the reason if I am to ask the team about it.

When warming up the Anton, I had to bind a joystickbutton to hold the wheelbrakes down. Wheelchocks would be more realistic, that's a pretty good reason for me. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The RAF and Pickard did what they were asked to do, and then some.

Agreed. If Ducellier's analysis of the bomb drops is correct then many clearly landed further than anyone had anticipated but as ever it's far easier in hindsight to point out inaccurate decision making than before the event.

It does look like the planners had overestimated the robustness of the outer wall and that even the MC bombs that weren't supposed to punch through did so; further more, it would appear that the 2 and 3 men were releasing when they saw their leaders bombs release but the sheer limitations of human reaction means these would have necessarily been pickled fractionally after. Combine this with a moments electrical/mechanical delay for actuators on the bomb release mechanisms to operate and the immediate pull up to avoid the colliding with the Prison it's not surprising some went long or lofted. Add to this the hard frozen ground and suddenly the ability for bombs to go careening wildly from their intended target increases massively.

It bears repeating that nothing of this nature had evet been attempted before; there was therefore a multitude of variables that could not be accounted for. Given this, it's astounding what 140 Wing were able to achieve especially given the generally imprecise nature of aerial bombing of that era.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

But was Amiens really worth it? IMO I don't think so.

That is certainly up for debate and really depends on who's evidence (or lack thereof) you believe; the trouble is there is so little ability to corroborate any of the statements or accounts. According to Robert Lyman, Jack Fishman had accrued a wealth of apparently legitimate evidence to support his account of the raid - Fishman's book And the Walls Came Tumbling Down was written in a narrative novel style, which given his journalist career is understandable but it does make the authenticity of the account suffer and some of what he writes about the Mosquitos is such monumental claptrap it calls into question the veracity the rest of his story.

Lyman seems to find authenticity in the Fishman sources and has taken them at face value in creating his account.

Ducellier is good at pointing out inconsistencies, inaccuracies and holes in the story but fails to find conclusive evidence to prove any of his theories; there is certainly cause to question the conventional narrative in some regards but I find his ultimate conclusions unconvincing to say the least.

With so many of the original Resistance sources now gone and memories fading or even misremembered it is always going to be near impossible to verify the sources we do have; then contextualise all that evidence and place it in the environment of cellular secrecy that surrounds clandestine operations in France and the fact that so many SIS and SOE files were deliberately destroyed after the war and you're on a hiding to nothing to disprove either argument.

Personally, I suspect that there were more Resistance operatives in Amiens than Ducellier accounts for, some having been arrested for crimes other than Resistance activities; I suspect that Dominique Ponchardier may have inadvertently or deliberately over-egged the pudding when announcing that there were to be executions made on the 19th of February 1944 in order to expedite the raid for reasons known only to him or those feeding him information and that some ass covering occurred thereafter to justify the effort. But this like many other theories will I suspect go unsubstantiated for a long while to come.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 2

Any good, populated and realistic server where the Mossie can be shot down tonight? 🙂

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

23 minutes ago, 122sqn Bruv said:

paging @Bozon The day has arrived!!!  

CHEERS! 🥳 🍾

Kicked my son off of the computer. Damn internet can’t download any slower…

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

When will this be part of the Free-to-Play promo?  NineLine says it will be when released in the pre-order thread, but what constitutes a 'release'?  I tried to add it in my account, but it isn't in there.

• Like 1

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

Whilst having  a spare couple of hours today ,it came to mind that would'nt it be good if as we slowly raised the nose of this wonderful aircraft that the theme tune to 633 squadron  should be quietly playing in the background not to loud to hide the sound of the engines etc but just enough to hear it.

Not quite authentic, but very stiring.

Just a thought.