DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

16 minutes ago, bell_rj said:

I hope the delay allows ED to add rockets in. That's what I want the Mossie for - rocketing ships and trains and tanks. If it just comes with bombs I'm going to be so disappointed - bombs are not as exciting to me.

Rocket and other Mosquito weapons has present now on ED directories, waiting news about if ED add them on EA or later.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bell_rj said:

I hope the delay allows ED to add rockets in. That's what I want the Mossie for - rocketing ships and trains and tanks. If it just comes with bombs I'm going to be so disappointed - bombs are not as exciting to me.

Molins...

image.gif

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Would be good to think that some of the EA strands are also being progressed in parallel to the external model - ie, rockets available by the time the Mossie launches👍

Remind me of timescale “news”?

Have heard nothing (or seen nothing...) since the delay announcement.  Was it backtracked to late Q2 or was it pencilled in for Q3???

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

Would be good to think that some of the EA strands are also being progressed in parallel to the external model - ie, rockets available by the time the Mossie launches👍

I asked a similar question back in March when the delay was first announced and never got an official answer.

It's all too quiet I think. ED seem very reluctant to share anything about the Mosquito, makes me wonder if there's more to this than just an external model re-work?

• Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

4 hours ago, bart said:

... makes me wonder if there's more to this than just an external model re-work?

You give a whole new meaning to the phrase “wooden wonder”... 😜

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I need rockets before I'll buy. I hate to say that, because I really am excited about the Mossie generally. It should be awesome to fly. But for me, I'm most excited about flying anti-shipping missions with rockets. I hope they are adding those in as we speak!

• Like 1

PC specs:

On 3/15/2021 at 11:35 PM, Mogster said:

Love the way the pilot has to change hands on the stick to raise the gear. Awesome 1940s ergonomics 🤣Although I suppose the navigator could flip the switch if he could reach

Only British 1940s ergonomics, in other planes gear handle was on the left side, P-47,P-51,Fw190,Bf-109 etc 

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

3 hours ago, grafspee said:

Only British 1940s ergonomics, in other planes gear handle was on the left side, P-47,P-51,Fw190,Bf-109 etc 

Brits do a lot of things reversed to this day, like driving on the wrong side and stick shifting with the left. In my country we call a reversed screw an “English screw”. I remember an American journal article on the Hurricane - the caption under a photo of the traditional RAF stick with its roll axis half way up the shaft said: “It’s not broken - it’s British” 😆

This is what makes Brits, Brits. Otherwise they’d be just off-shore Europeans...

😛

• Like 3

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

2 hours ago, Bozon said:

Brits do a lot of things reversed to this day, like driving on the wrong side and stick shifting with the left. In my country we call a reversed screw an “English screw”. I remember an American journal article on the Hurricane - the caption under a photo of the traditional RAF stick with its roll axis half way up the shaft said: “It’s not broken - it’s British” 😆

This is what makes Brits, Brits. Otherwise they’d be just off-shore Europeans...

😛

A "reversed screw" over here is called a "Left Hand Thread". Sadly I can't repeat here what we would call a "reversed screw"....I may get banned! 😆

Us Brits were also renowned for some of the most unique aircraft designs in the world.....any one seen a Mosquito around here anywhere 😛

Interestingly the control column with the roll axis half way up carried over to some jets too! Take a look at a cockpit photo of a Jet Provost, I wonder what the advantage of this control design was?

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, bart said:

A "reversed screw" over here is called a "Left Hand Thread". Sadly I can't repeat here what we would call a "reversed screw"....I may get banned! 😆

Us Brits were also renowned for some of the most unique aircraft designs in the world.....any one seen a Mosquito around here anywhere 😛

Interestingly the control column with the roll axis half way up carried over to some jets too! Take a look at a cockpit photo of a Jet Provost, I wonder what the advantage of this control design was?

One thing that springs to mind is that it allows full aileron throw without the pilots legs getting in the way - the downside is less moment arm to leverage that throw.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 1

Having made my own replica spade grip for DCS I actually think it was a great design. 

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Another Friday news and no mention of the Mosquito. I am not expecting much, but a word of the time scale to EA release, or something about what is being developed, or maybe what is left to be done - just to give is a feeling of progress and something to look forward to would have been nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

41 minutes ago, Bozon said:

Another Friday news and no mention of the Mosquito. I am not expecting much, but a word of the time scale to EA release, or something about what is being developed, or maybe what is left to be done - just to give is a feeling of progress and something to look forward to would have been nice.

+ 100

I couldn't agree with this more. C'mon ED give us something please.......

• Like 1

"Interestingly the control column with the roll axis half way up carried over to some jets too! Take a look at a cockpit photo of a Jet Provost, I wonder what the advantage of this control design was?"

Keeps your legs from interfering with aileron control when a lot of stick deflection is needed - not uncommon in unboosted controls. For a more modern example, check out the cockpit of an OV-10. Have never flown a Spit or Mossie, but have a bit of stick time in the Bronco and it works great.

Vulture

• Like 1

@Kirk66 thanks, I didn’t know that OV-10 had this stick configuration. Are you aware of other US planes that have this?

• Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst we wait, I know it is not a FB Mk.VI but since we have been left in the dark at least it isn't a Hind! 😉

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

13 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

Some interesting full rudder deflections going on there - in the first few seconds of the vid…!

Bear in mind that the brakes operate on exactly the same principle as those in the Spitfire; that is you apply differential brake pressure to each wheel via the rudder bar. They are also drum brakes... so not particularly effective! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ercoupe said:

Yeah, I've read, and seen interviews, where Mossie pilots have said that the airplane was a real beeotch on the ground. That surprises me with that wide tracking landing gear.

The issue was with the slow response of the pneumatic differential breaks and also the tail wheel was not lockable. These, combined with a relatively small rudder and lots of torque made ground handling dicy at fast taxiing and transition speeds at takeoff/landing.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.