DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

10 hours ago, Bozon said:

A piece of nostalgia here for me (from another game). I didn't realize it has been 6 years already since I made this flic.

I miss Mosquito action so much. Not much longer to wait... not much... 🙏 🤩

🤣I’m not expecting the DCS Mossie to be able to fly like that…!

4 hours ago, Krupi said:

I am intrigued to see just how manoeuvrable it is and also just how much punishment it can take. 

As am i, im also wondering how incendiary ammo will act in comparsion to a metal skinned aircraft as well. Also wanna see if i can land it with a wing a lot of my wing missing like i did in the spitfire xD

21 hours ago, Krupi said:

I am intrigued to see just how manoeuvrable it is and also just how much punishment it can take. 

I would not get your hopes up for a classic dogfighter.  This is not a Turn and Burn fighter, it would however, be lethal in the bounce.  Fast with lots of firepower it will bring down most aircraft with a single well aimed burst. The power, inertia and speed will carry it away from trouble.  As a bomber destroyer it will be outstanding, also excellent against other heavy fighters such as the Me110 and Me410 or the Japanese equivalents'.   

😂

I am well aware that it is not a fighter, it is just that I fascinated to see how it will perform... That said depending on the scenario it could be used effectively, there is evidence to suggest that it could perform reasonable well in a fight when required. 

If ED were to ever venture into night fighting then this would be a completely different matter however I doubt we ever see a WWII night fighter in DCS. Which is a bit of a shame as DCS would be a great platform for insight into early radar and counter radar. 

Edited by Krupi
  • Like 2

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

7 minutes ago, Krupi said:

😂

I am well aware that it is not a fighter, it is just that I fascinated to see how it will perform... That said depending on the scenario it could be used effectively, there is evidence to suggest that it could perform reasonable well in a fight when required. 

If ED were to ever venture into night fighting then this would be a completely different matter however I doubt we ever see a WWII night fighter in DCS. Which is a bit of a shame as DCS would be a great platform for insight into early radar and counter radar. 

Couldn’t agree more…👍

My own current “background reading” is around 100 Group Bomber Support and specifically 214 Sqn - one of the first RCM / ECM squadrons. Fascinating area and long hidden from public view.

As per quite a few of my other posts, I’ve been using the ME to try and test out possibilities and get some night missions flyable.  

There are quite a few challenges and constraints, but I have been blown away by how good it all looks - searchlights, flak, burning aircraft 😕, moonlit skies / clouds… 

Take off and landing are tricky - finding base and landing without lights is very hard

F10 map and labels are cheats to make up for lack of GCI, but clearly not ideal

Depth perception is difficult - close to target and close to the ground

B-17 is also too dangerous a nighttime opponent- too many guns and perfect laser vision 

I hope to expand on this with the Mossie.
There is much that works well for night flying, and most of what’s needed is already in DCS somewhere…

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

My own current “background reading” is around 100 Group Bomber Support and specifically 214 Sqn - one of the first RCM / ECM squadrons. Fascinating area and long hidden from public view.

I confess this second mention of No. 214 Sqn has me puzzled. I've inferred that you're saying they flew Mosquitos for 100 Group.

I can find no published reference to indicate the squadron ever flew Mosquitos. I am aware that C Flight of No. 192 flew B.IV variants in an EW role. AFAIK No. 214 Sqn flew Wellingtons then Stirlings, then Fortresses. I've not downloaded their ORBs, but can share your reference? I am always looking for better sources and information.

2 hours ago, Robi-wan said:

I confess this second mention of No. 214 Sqn has me puzzled. I've inferred that you're saying they flew Mosquitos for 100 Group.

I can find no published reference to indicate the squadron ever flew Mosquitos. I am aware that C Flight of No. 192 flew B.IV variants in an EW role. AFAIK No. 214 Sqn flew Wellingtons then Stirlings, then Fortresses. I've not downloaded their ORBs, but can share your reference? I am always looking for better sources and information.

I don't think he is talking about the use of Mosquitos just the EW Missions that squadron undertook in general.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

15 minutes ago, Krupi said:

I don't think he is talking about the use of Mosquitos just the EW Missions that squadron undertook in general.

Correct…

A relative flew with 214, but all he ever shared was that he flew in Stirlings, then Fortresses… but also knew a lot about Lancasters and Mosquitos.

I only recently found out about 214 Sqn and 100 Group, so my reading in this area is relatively recent and ongoing. It seems like the Bomber Support activities were a highly integrated efforts - Science / R&D, Bletchley Park, PFF and all of the activities of 100 Group.  

I was surprised that the Group operated both NF and FB Mosquitos, but all seems to be part of that very detailed and covert effort to overwhelm German air defences.  

The 214 Sqn Fortresses appear (on occasions) to have worked very closely with the Mossies - for example, using window and other RCM to set up spoof raids to draw German NFs away from the main force, but coordinated with Mosquito NFs who were flying as a “spoof main force” to engage the diverted German NFs.  My relative’s crew (like many on 214) had a German speaking “special operator” to give false GCI vectors to the opposing fighters - it seems in order to vector them to waiting Mosquito patrols

Deeply fascinating stuff

Edited by rkk01
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, short finals hopefully 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

FINALLY!!!!!!

That clip makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end! What an awesome machine...

Someone give Bozon a ring, he won't want to miss out on this news!

Has anyone noticed just after the still shot taken from Flt Lt Sparks Mosquito on the actual raid, there's B&W in game footage of our Mossie dropping bombs on the Prison? I just noticed it, so real it's hard to tell the difference!

EDIT There's actually several parts where the video changes from real footage to in game footage. The Mosquito taking off is one, the other when the photo aircraft is approaching the Prison to assess the damage, it again clips to in game footage!. Glowing Amraam has done a stunning job on this. Apparently this is not the release trailer either...there's more to come!!!

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

30 minutes ago, bart said:

FINALLY!!!!!!

That clip makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end! What an awesome machine...

Someone give Bozon a ring, he won't want to miss out on this news!

Has anyone noticed just after the still shot taken from Flt Lt Sparks Mosquito on the actual raid, there's B&W in game footage of our Mossie dropping bombs on the Prison? I just noticed it, so real it's hard to tell the difference!

Jeez, I’ve just watched it again. The first time I thought it was all historical film edited together… 🤣

Very clever.

• Like 2

Got to love that new sig there NineLine!

Is that snow I see on the Channel Map?

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.