PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

Realistically, this is not the be-all end all VR interface IMO. It however looks to be a significant step up in functionality from the current use a mouse next to the joystick, or fumble around with a touch controller (since I have an occulus). However I think the next step will be some sort of capto-glove type interface if I'm reading the DCS tea-leaves correctly. And IF that gets implemented decently in the next few months all this will mostly be for nought. To use that analogy, the veyron is coming, its just a question of how soon.

Hi Harlikwin,

Just a quick response,

Thanks for your comments, I would agree with your 95% of your post. I only meant PointCTRL to be a interim device until integrated HMD tech was viable for our flight sim purposes. The problem is, it's been taking so long for me to start production, the sales cycle may indeed be short. I would expect the VR manufactures are working on an integrated solution that will render all of the aftermarket tracking gloves and devices obsolete. I certainly don't think this will be all for "naught" though, because I am manly doing this because I enjoy it, and I do feel PointCTRL will be a viable simple solution for current HMDs. I haven't forgotten about the conventional big and multi screen simmers either and I will transition to that as soon as I can.

Thanks

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Shut up and take my money!!!! Lol

I can't wait to get hands on with it. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers and such, Miles! I personally dont like the glove idea. This is going to be much better for me.

On another note, I installed a landing gear handle in my pit. WOW, that steps immersion up another notch!

I agree, It's a much more immersive when you can feel what what you are physically looking at in VR. I think that why while using PointCTRL is convenient, and a definite step up, it still feels like "no big deal" when you use it.

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

To use that analogy, the veyron is coming, its just a question of how soon.

I would just like to clarify that my original point about the cars was literally only about the design of the FCU's and I was certainly not trying to make any smart arse comparison that PointCTL is anything like a virtual 3 wheeler!

If that is how it's been interrupted I can only apologise Miles, that really wasn't my intent!

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Hi Harlikwin,

Just a quick response,

Thanks for your comments, I would agree with your 95% of your post. I only meant PointCTRL to be a interim device until integrated HMD tech was viable for our flight sim purposes. The problem is, it's been taking so long for me to start production, the sales cycle may indeed be short. I would expect the VR manufactures are working on an integrated solution that will render all of the aftermarket tracking gloves and devices obsolete. I certainly don't think this will be all for "naught" though, because I am manly doing this because I enjoy it, and I do feel PointCTRL will be a viable simple solution for current HMDs. I haven't forgotten about the conventional big and multi screen simmers either and I will transition to that as soon as I can.

Thanks

Miles

Hi Miles, no worries, I'd just rather have the interim solution sooner rather than later as it looks good :). As for the big boys, I think they are really focused on their current hand trackers and improving those, and those are mostly a no-go for DCS VR. I'd say your main competition is captoglove, depending on how well its integrated into DCS, from what I've seen they are not going in the right direction, I don't think a single guy wants to "fly" a plane with a virtual stick in his lap.

Your trackers will have the advantage of just being seen as mouse pointers instead of a hand, which actually will help since if you have a virtual hand floating in the cockpit thats not in-sync with the HOTAS position its gonna look/feel weird. I currently sometimes use the rift touch controller for button flipping, but if I put it down there is a random phantom hand floating in the pit which is weird (so I try to put it outside the pit when I set it down so I can't see it).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I would just like to clarify that my original point about the cars was literally only about the design of the FCU's and I was certainly not trying to make any smart arse comparison that PointCTL is anything like a virtual 3 wheeler!

If that is how it's been interrupted I can only apologise Miles, that really wasn't my intent!

Now I am a little disappointed in you Ratcatcher. I had a good laugh at what I certainly thought was a "smart arse comparison", and a good one too. Except that 3 wheeler has better lines than the FCU. I rather enjoy a bit of cheeky wit, especially when its grounded in the truth. :) and there is my first ever emoji, just for you Ratcatcher.

Miles

Edit, I just realized, your concern for the looks of the FCU, may be because you named it.

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Edit, I just realized, your concern for the looks of the FCU, may be because you named it.

Oh, damn you Colonials! You've seen through me clearer than a FLIR image of a fat lass sweating in a cold gym! :D

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

SPELLCHECK strikes AGAIN!!! ROFLMFO:lol::lol::lol:

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. I have been following along with them. Today I finally completed all the FCU and HMS enclosure changes and tweaks for the initial version, and I am printing production units as I write this.

The FCU is function over form for now. It does look high and boxy, however longer or wider would present interference issues with those that have smaller fingers. The good news is that all components are modular, so if a new slimmer battery becomes available you can just replace your battery and enclosure with a new slimmer one. The current shape presents no issues when you’re in VR, it only looks cumbersome, but feels fine.

My take away from most of the comments is “just get the friggin thing done”. I think some of you have surreptitiously contacted my wife, because she has been telling me the same thing.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I will respond when I have a few more minutes.

Here is a pic showing the FCU’s, Rift, Vive, and Vive Pro Mounts.

I wonder which will be better for me to jury rig for the Pimax 5K+. I'm hoping I get the setup today.

I'll look for some closer up pics and pull the trigger. Thanks for the hard work. BTW, if you want to borrow my Pimax5K+ to test with down the road, do let me know. I can ship it to you and you can ship it back when done prototyping. I don't know how much of a market there will be, but I figure there must be 1,000 or more.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

SPELLCHECK strikes AGAIN!!! ROFLMFOlol.giflol.giflol.gif

Well, you know the old saying...the tool is only as good as its operator. (and tools don't come much bigger than me!)

Oh, damn you Colonials! You've seen through me clearer than a FLIR image of a fat lass sweating in a cold gym! :D

Theres that cheeky Imperialist humor,

@Hansangb, Thanks for the offer of sending the Pimax for fitting, I certainly appreciate it, but I don't think it will be necessary. I will try to find some data on the 5k dimensions and make a test mount and send it off to you to test fit. I just shipped out a Vive-Pro mount to JoeS to test fit because I dont have the Vive_Pro either.

I am focusing on production fixtures now and kicking out a few units for final testing. I hope to delivers Los's in a few days for his extensive testing and feedback. Los is my adviser on all things Flight Sim.

Here is today's work, the FCU and APB (Aux Push Buttons) fixtures for hand soldering. I did not feel comfortable with these buttons in a re-flow oven.

302047537_ButtonFixture.thumb.jpg.e4595d3705683fd53e8cb8459660e86b.jpg

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Stand back, he’s got a jig and he’s not afraid to use it!;)

Looking great Mikes as per usual!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Great work :) Looking forward to the production line.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Hallo Miles,

can I order these things sometime via your website or do I also have to subscribe to this list in the forum?

Greetings, Thomas

Hi Thomas, you do not need to be on the list keep watching for information/instructions from MilesD re: his website.

MilesD great work like so many I can't wait to get my fingers into these FCU's.

Hi Thomas, you do not need to be on the list keep watching for information/instructions from MilesD re: his website.

MilesD great work like so many I can't wait to get my fingers into these FCU's.

Hallo FireCat,

thank you for your quick answer! I will do it! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not available yet. Keep an eye on his website though.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Yes. Click and move hand vertically while holding.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Err, no.

Just Google Pointctrl

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |