PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

Hi Miles,

I own a pimax 5k+ and would like to offer my services to test on the pimax. Have you been able to test on one yet? Your product looks super exciting and I've been waiting to see something like this in the VR space for a while!

Hi Miles,

Not sure if this has been covered already, but as we are on the verge of getting several new VR headsets (Reverb, Occulus S I'm particularly interested in) will these require custom mounts and if so is this something you will need to wait to get your hands on before putting an HMS together for them? (They look basically the same though the reverb has more of a curve across the face.)

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Hey Mariner,

I find it interesting you mentioned this because my son said I should do a live stream to mark the launch of PointCTRL. After he explained to me how it worked, I didn't think it would be all that interesting to people, but who knows. If a few people are interested we could do a random drawing to give away a PointCTRL.

If you guys are interested let me know. If we ask FireCat nicely, he can probably make a list and figure out the best time for everyone.

Miles

I join many here in saying a live launch stream is a fantastic idea. The time you air also needs some thought, obviously first and foremost how the window fits into your own schedule Miles.

There is interest to purchase Point Ctrl on this post from around the globe US, Canada, Europe, Russia, China and Australia to name a few.

Personally, I think that a (Saturday) would allow most access to the stream globally (example) if you streamed at 16.00 (4 pm) it would be live across the US

Alaska Saturday 10.00am West Coast to East Coast around 12.45pm-16.00.

Europe-Russia between 20.30-00.00 (8.30pm to Midnight)

China (Sunday Morning) between (02.00am-05.00am) and

Australia East to West coast (05.00am-07.30am) Sunday Morning.

With it being a weekend there would be more chance of access to all (If willing to get up early:)

I have added a link at the bottom showing global time value's so whatever time Miles sets the stream for (I presume from Wallingford CT which I believe is 85-90 miles NE of New York) please correct me if I am wrong, everyone can use the link to work out roughly what time in their part of the world it will start.

Might be an idea to start the stream a few minutes early with a place holder “Point Ctrl Launch starting soon” to let everyone know it's about to happen.. (Just a thought.)

Help and ideas on this subject are very welcome from all so feel free to join in if you see any problems or have any thoughts on the hows, when and whys.

I will also be happy to start a list of post subscribers interested in a Point Ctrl giveaway draw list if you give the go-ahead (although I think this could be just about everyone on the list) I will have to ask the community to bear with me and PM me in batches of 40 or 50 at a time over a few days to allow me to keep tabs on and track without flooding my inbox.

It may just be easier to do the list which is currently at 190 using A4 numbered sheet as below (OpenOffice odt file) which you can download and print and cut or maybe just as easy to buy a 1-200 raffle/cloakroom ticket book on eBay for a couple of dollars.

Asking your lovely Wife nicely (also give “A” shiny gold glittery item I state “A” although I am a strong believer in capitalism I don't like to encourage greed) :) if she would do the honour of picking the winning number out of the hat/box/bag or whatever during the stream.

I will also do a list from 1-190 alongside the alphabetical list to allow you to quickly identify the winner.

Cheers FireCat.

http://timezoneconversion.org/timezone_map.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn4bbvsGC4gIVQzPTCh3EAAWKEAAYAiABEgLljfD_BwE

P.S For some reason, I can't get it to upload the A4 numbered sheet I'll have to try another way. OK, uploaded as PDF. When printing in preview under pages to print select "pages" instead of default "All" and add 1 - 2

Point Ctrl Draw.pdf

Edited by FireCat
P.S

I might not be able to catch the live stream, but would certainly watch the replay at a later time.

Also, as a sugestion, in your signature area, could you put a link to your product website?

Same boat, might not see it live, but certainly watch the replay!

Hey Miles, I'm relatively early on the mailing list but I'm running 2D. Specifically, I sit 26" from a 65" 4k monitor. (Ebayed my Rift. VR just not there yet for me). If you think I could fudge any degree of functionality with PointCTRL in its current state, I would purchase one and experiment with it then happily purchase any "add on" down the line when/if you adapt PointCTRL for Track IR.

Appreciate your thoughts on this and the strong work you've already put forth.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

How many devices are send out in the first wave?

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

The list can’t be added to the first post as Miles would have to then take ownership. FireCat has been kindly helping Miles by updating the list

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Miles has a lot to do and since we have a good amount of folks tuned in to this thread, lets just keep it like it is. Release is nearing, we can answer questions as they come up.

I think that a Saturday stream would give the majority of folks an opportunity to be in on it live. A give-away is an interesting idea but personally I don't think it is necessary. Nor would it be an easy, non complicated thing to do. I think instead of a give-away that a bump from whatever number a person is at to an immediate shipment would be better. It not only takes revenue from the developer (Miles) but that free unit could go to anyone, including those tuning in accidently.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

UPDATE: Everything is back to normal after losing my SSD applications and I have about 10 units ready to ship, and a lot of sub assemblies already done, so I am hoping to knock out lots of 10 units every few days to start. Once the process is defined and running smooth I will be hiring some help for manufacturing and I should move through the list quickly.

When I was doing the first video, I did some tests to provide guidance on power consumption reference IRLED brightness and time out. I found that the HMD would pick up the IRLED at very low brightness settings, but not track very well.

This led me to a dilemma, I said I was done with improvements, but this latest data provides an opportunity to add a desirable function.

As of now, you are able to set the IRLED time out which turns off the IRLED after a certain period of time passes since the last button press to save battery power, This also allows not seeing the cursors when they are not being used, but are in your peripheral vision.

Currently when the IRLED is off you have to press any of the three buttons to turn it on and see the cursor.

I believe, if I take a few days I can have the FCU Poll the HMS a few times a second to see if the dim IRLED is visible in the center portion of the sensor. If it is visible, it will then turn on the IRLED to full brightness for cockpit interaction. The led timeout will them be tied to how long it has been since the cursor has left the field of view.

I know that was long and convoluted. Basically, instead of having to turn on the FCU IRLED manually by pressing one of the three buttons you will only have to move the FCU in the center area of your FOV and it will turn on automatically, and off automatically when it leaves your field of view.

Since this functionality is on the FCU, I can't make it a firmware upgrade at a later date, as that is limited to the HMS.

Thoughts?

PS, I going to chill on the live stream until units are shipped and feedback has been provided.

Miles

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

ok Miles,

so if i set the timeout to never, how long will the akkus last?

if they last for 3h+ i wouldn t even think about batt saving IMO

I’m personally fine with manual activation.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I personally don’t see the manual (press a button) a issue as long as the timeout is reasonable (from my perspective that would be ~30min as when I’m flying I’m often using mouse inputs)

I would not mind a little bit longer if it means more features. I may not need it but it would certainly be useful for other people, thus incrwasing the range of possible application.

Go for it!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

ok Miles,

so if i set the timeout to never, how long will the akkus last?

if they last for 3h+ i wouldn t even think about batt saving IMO

I'm using the LukeClip for TrackIR and it has 3 IR-LEDs and an akku.

I can use it several hours before changing is needed.

If FCU runs 5h+ it is okay for me.

The feature sounds nice, but personally I prefer a more recent delivery.

You will find evertime something to optimize. Maybe this is something for PointCTRL 2.0. :)

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

How many devices are send out in the first wave?

That was answered a few pages ago. Maybe the link to that and the “list” could be added to the first post?

Hopefully, this will help all who have the same questions.

List.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3862014&postcount=690

Also if you haven't, please read MilesD post link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3860382&postcount=660.

Cheers.

I’m personally fine with manual activation.

I personally don’t see the manual (press a button) a issue as long as the timeout is reasonable (from my perspective that would be ~30min as when I’m flying I’m often using mouse inputs)

+1 here.

Hopefully, this will help all who have the same questions.

List.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3862014&postcount=690

Also if you haven't, please read MilesD post link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3860382&postcount=660.

Cheers.

Thank you FireCat I missed the post about "forum post verbiage".

I'm don't think this will work. As soon as Miles first post is public people will use the link and send their money even if they are 100+ on the list.

That's okay if everone add his forum name as a comment to the payment.

But I think the better way will be PMs with paypal links:

• Day one: Sent PM to 1-10
  • Day two: Sent PM to 11-20
  • Day five: Sent PM to 21-50 and so on

After that the order of ingoing payment can be send out order. If there are some people who don't react on PM they don't "block" delivery for later people.

Much more work but fair for the early birds on the list. And with position 77 I do not count myself among the early birds. :smilewink:

Definitely agree! I would prefer manual activation. In my personal case, the PC (PointCTRL) will be recharged exactly like my headphones. They automatically turn off when plugged in. Some VR HMD's are coming out with USB ports in them to power peripherals.

A motion sensor could be an option for turning the unit off when not used after a timeout but after this amount of time, a few days or even a week or two is worth the wait if it means substantial operability or capability improvements to the hardware.

Software updates, not so much. They can be done, and I would suspect need to be done, later as the units get large scale use.

I absolutely understand and concur on putting off the live-stream. Maybe at an anniversary or something like a new market roll-out. I see our role as a collective group of first run users in the development of PC. I can honestly see a market out there of a huge scale. Not just DCS, but in VR as a whole. It might take a bit to get there but it certainly has massive potential. To get there we MUST give timely, precise, and REPEATABLE feedback of problems and possible improvements.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

One thing that needs to be set is a time feature on orders. So the folks in the 1-10 (or whatever) number range release have x amount of days to complete the transaction. After that, they get put on hold and the unit slated for them is sent to the next number up for shipment until they set-up payment. That way PC units are getting sold and shipped as soon as possible without this growing list of folks who either are away or slow to act. Maybe they have to save to get it or are away from the computer, on vacation or whatever. It will surely happen that people either can't or won't respond.

Thank you FireCat I missed the post about "forum post verbiage".

I'm don't think this will work. As soon as Miles first post is public people will use the link and send their money even if they are 100+ on the list.

That's okay if everone add his forum name as a comment to the payment.

But I think the better way will be PMs with paypal links:

• Day one: Sent PM to 1-10
  • Day two: Sent PM to 11-20
  • Day five: Sent PM to 21-50 and so on

After that the order of ingoing payment can be send out order. If there are some people who don't react on PM they don't "block" delivery for later people.

Much more work but fair for the early birds on the list. And with position 77 I do not count myself among the early birds. :smilewink:

I hope that members will act responsibly also respect what Miles is doing for them and the community and not create more work for him. Yes, they will have to add their forum name as a note on the Paypal payment to confirm who they are.

Although I don't think anyone would (I like to think we have a great and fair community on the ED forum) be thinking of using another member's name further up the list, but if so, they should be very careful if caught out they may find themselves banned from the forum I don't think ED will take to kindly to that kind of practice nor the person whose name they use.

Out of the 190 already on the list, many will not purchase immediately, some will wait for feedback, others maybe not at all so I don't think the wait is going to be that long to start with.

I would suggest patience is the way. We will get Point Ctrl when MilesD thinks it is ready and to each when it is their turn.

Cheers FireCat.