PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

Apologies if this is an old topic but this is long thread!

Is it possible with PointCTRL to divorce the hand movement from the head movement?

I.e. if I am reaching out to a control with my hand do I have to keep my head still to prevent the cursor moving like I do with a normal mouse?

In cockpit (where this is designed for) no, you do not need to hold your head. As you move your view in the game the mouse cursor is moved in the opposite direction to leave it in same place in the cockpit.

On a menu screen you do need to keep your head still, as point CTRL is expecting things to move but they stay the same. However at this point it is expected you just pick up your normal mouse.

Hi Toykilla, thanks for that, really good photo explains a lot.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

In cockpit (where this is designed for) no, you do not need to hold your head. As you move your view in the game the mouse cursor is moved in the opposite direction to leave it in same place in the cockpit.

On a menu screen you do need to keep your head still, as point CTRL is expecting things to move but they stay the same. However at this point it is expected you just pick up your normal mouse.

Thanks for clearing that up.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Hi Toykilla, thanks for that, really good photo explains a lot.

Hey Terry,

If you have thin fingers and smaller hands, you may want to wait for the smaller FCUs. There is no additional functionality, other than size, but they have about 20% less battery life. I think the original battery capacity may be a bit of an overkill anyway.

If you are in a hurry, and have small hands and fingers, you could always just buy a new right FCU when they come out, for around $30.00 USD.

Thanks for the good question, and thanks to TOYKILLA for jumping in there. I always like seeing you guys with PointCTRL answering questions.

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Has this gone anywhere or are gloves the new ticket?

I haven’t seen anything glove-wise that is actually operational. That said, PointCTRL doesn’t require any overhead software or drivers (only a one-time calibration) and works with the built-in mouse functionality in DCS.

Miles is also very responsive to questions and support requests, particularly on Discord. I am VERY happy with PointCTRL... it’s made any button box or panel other than the stick and throttle obsolete. I don’t even use the switch panel with my Winwing throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Hey Terry,

If you have thin fingers and smaller hands, you may want to wait for the smaller FCUs. There is no additional functionality, other than size, but they have about 20% less battery life. I think the original battery capacity may be a bit of an overkill anyway.

If you are in a hurry, and have small hands and fingers, you could always just buy a new right FCU when they come out, for around $30.00 USD.

Thanks for the good question, and thanks to TOYKILLA for jumping in there. I always like seeing you guys with PointCTRL answering questions.

Miles

Thanks Miles. I've got large hands so I've went ahead and paid. I'm left handed so I'd me more inclined to keep hold of the stick and press buttons with my left hand.

Terry

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

Thanks Miles. I've got large hands so I've went ahead and paid. I'm left handed so I'd me more inclined to keep hold of the stick and press buttons with my left hand.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes, that's what I was referring to. If you have a clearance issue with your right hand on the F18 stick, you could just buy the smaller FCU for your right hand, so it would not interfere with the stick.

Its sounds like you should be good anyways. Kits will be shipping Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Been away from the thread for a bit & glad to come back to hear new products & accessories on are on the docket!

Miles a few questions if you don't mind:

Are the button banks available as a product today? I'd love to added 2 banks to my VR setup if possible. If they are how do I go about ordering them & if not when may they be available for purchase?

I absolutely love my current FCU's but smaller ones have my interest peaked. For those of us who are 'gen 1' buyers & want to pick up 'gen 2', how can we go about doing that?

Thanks Miles!

For those of us who are 'gen 1' buyers & want to pick up 'gen 2', how can we go about doing that?

I can't help you with point 1, but as to the above, Miles mentioned that early adopters can just email Carol at the orders email address: orders@pointctrl.com

I emailed last weekend and just followed the orginal ordering format - Forum name with my orginal backer number and added "New FCU's" in the title. Then I just stated that I would like 2.

Hopefully this will work, will let Miles jump in, just in case of any FUBAR'd protocols by myself...:music_whistling:

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Not been on for a while so just wondering if the button banks are actually available now? I saw the testers photos but didn’t see if they were actually available. If they are available now how would I purchase them?

Ps Miles, are you going to update the first page here with them or starting a new thread?

Thanks

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I can't help you with point 1, but as to the above, Miles mentioned that early adopters can just email Carol at the orders email address: orders@pointctrl.com

I emailed last weekend and just followed the orginal ordering format - Forum name with my orginal backer number and added "New FCU's" in the title. Then I just stated that I would like 2.

Hopefully this will work, will let Miles jump in, just in case of any FUBAR'd protocols by myself...:music_whistling:

Thanks Ratchatcher! I appreciate the details & will give that a go if Miles does't come back with something completely different. Didn't want to line jump anyone who is still looking to get their first set since I already have a pair.

Thanks Ratchatcher! I appreciate the details & will give that a go if Miles does't come back with something completely different. Didn't want to line jump anyone who is still looking to get their first set since I already have a pair.

Hey Guys

I am going put the APB (Aux Push Button)banks on the website for separate purchase in a few days, when I add some more content. I am still trying to figure out the most economical way to ship them internationally. I think this will be easier than emailing back and fourth, and using invoices. I did put them on the first page of this forum to add to new orders. I still have to put a pic on there.

When the v2 of the FCU's are done they will go on the website also. After v2 of the FCUs is complete, I will continue work on the the v2 of the HMS.

I am also still working on adding the VRB's, Virtual Radial Buttons. (I stole the name from Elmo)

They are virtual buttons located just outside the FOV of your headset, but not PointCTRLs sensor.

You can assign controls to these hot spots intuitively. A few examples, point to the left of the chat window and Click to turn it on or off, point to right of the Huey's AI pop out box and click to toggle it on or off, upper left hand corner for escape and so on.

I think we are about at the end of the major punch list for PointCTRL 1.0 features that this processor is capable off. I still have some tweaks to the core code for a better experience.

PointCTRL 2.0 will use a more capable Atmel Cortex processor, and i have a lot of new ideas that I will be able to implement.

Thanks guys, and if anyone can find the list we made together a while ago in this thread of what you guys wanted to see in PointCTRL, please direct me to it. I can't seem to find it.

Thanks again for all of your continued support and ideas,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I received the great device a few days ago...I like it very much!!! :-) Thank you!!!

Greets

Cop

I bet you like it yeah :thumbup:

I'm using PointCTRL since Sept 2019 and I can't do without anymore.

PointCTRL Tip:

Recently stepped into the Ka-50 again (after years of inactivity). This module really is PointCTRL heaven! Everywhere around you there are switches and knobs to flip and turn. Cold and dark startup alone, requires you to flip like 300 switches :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Important info for Current Shipping Group 325 and next group 350

I got a little delayed adding the Aux Button Bank firmware. I wanted to offer this group the chance to add them to their order.

If you would like the button banks added just email Carol at orders@pointctrl.com and ask her to add them to your current order. Price is $12.50 per bank of three buttons with connectors and mounting accessories. No additional shipping cost. I will wait until tomorrow morning, and if I don't hear from those of you who are this group, I will ship as ordered.

Don't worry about getting another invoice, I will just add them to your shipping box for now and work out the payment when I have some time.

PontCTRL is now recognized as a HID Mouse and a HID 32 button dual hat switch Joystick controller. It shows up in DCS as a joystick, and you bind as you normally would any joystick. Modifiers work on the button banks as well, so they can have multiple functions.

Here is a pic of Deano's set-up, prior to plugging in the included connectors that connect the button banks to the HMS.

As always, Thanks for your patience,

Miles

image0.jpg?width=957&height=718

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hi Miles, Hope your well and staying safe (and no doubt busy) at home!

I have been thinking about possible improvements to the FCU's and not sure if this would in anyway be feasibile, however...

Currently my only real issue in using the FCU's in cockpit is the activation of rotaries. It's very hit and miss for me and I have resorted to using a mouse wheel on my knee as opposed to trying to manipualte them via the FCU buttons.

Therefore I would like to see a small wheel type addition, possibly above where the buttons go currently. Below would be easier to reach but you wouldn't have the depth to set it. Much like the wheel that is on the Thrustmaster FA18 stick.(the push button +2 way, next to the Recce button).

Anyways just thought I'd share my ramblings! ;)

I attach a particulary poor photoshop to try and help illustrate...

PC2_FCU_2.thumb.jpg.9e6d33c2816a7d18303a5f308ed40056.jpg

Edited by Ratcatcher

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Hi Miles, Hope your well and staying safe (and no doubt busy) at home!

I have been thinking about possible improvements to the FCU's and not sure if this would in anyway be feasible, however...

Currently my only real issue in using the FCU's in cockpit is the activation of rotaries. It's very hit and miss for me and I have resorted to using a mouse wheel on my knee as opposed to trying to manipualte them via the FCU buttons.

Therefore I would like to see a small wheel type addition, possibly above where the buttons go currently. Below would be easier to reach but you wouldn't have the depth to set it. Much like the wheel that is on the Thrustmaster FA18 stick.(the push button +2 way, next to the Recce button).

Anyways just thought I'd share my ramblings! ;)

I attach a particulary poor photoshop to try and help illustrate...

Hey RatCatcher, is't nice to see you back here.

I love your Photoshop wheel, and its a great idea. I have whole selection of of 3 way rotary style switches ordered, and the PCB design is not final. So it's still a possibility.

I am actual thinking of offering a few different types of FCU that are largely dependent on your hand, finger, and joystick size, as well as personal preferences. They would all be compatible so your not locked into a single FCU style.

Currently the top portion of the new FCU's will be a modular battery with case. You will have the ability to change from a small or larger profile based on different battery capacities. Possibly I could add the scroll wheel to that module.

Sorry to hear it's hit or miss with you with the current mouse wheel emulations. Maybe it will help to correlate the 2 actions required to change mouse wheel direction to the physical actions required to roll your standard mouse wheel. Once muscle memory sets in, it should go well for you.

Prepare to scroll

Step 1 with Standard Mouse Position your finger on the actual mouse wheel, either in front of, or behind the whee,l depending on the direction you want to move the wheel.

Step 1 with PointCTRL Wihle not pointing at a switch or control, Press FCU button 1 or 2 depending on the direction you want to move the wheel. Button 1 to set the direction forward, Button 2 to set the direction backward.

Scroll

Step 2 with Standard Mouse Rotate mouse wheel the desired number of lines.

Step 2 with PointCTRL Press button 3, to scroll the wheel the desired number of lines.

PointCTRLs button 3 can be clicked rapidly to scroll single lines or a held to scroll more quickly. You only have to press buttons 1 or 2 again, if you want to change directions.

I just made a change to the speed of the scroll based on suggestions from Metzger, and it feels better. Instead of wheel speed increasing exponentially when you hold button 3, it now goes to a set increased speed after 1/2 second of holding. Thanks for that Metzger

I hope that helps. A few minutes of messing around with folding and unfolding the wings on the F18 should make it feel more natural.

Thanks for the suggestion RatCatcher, and I will show some pics of the mock ups when I get them done.

Everyone, please stay safe and healthy.

I really have to shorten my post, to many damn words.

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey RatCatcher, is't nice to see you back here.

Hey mate. Yes good to be back! I find myself at home for the last week or so, can't imagine why...Unfortunatley I feel that will be changing shortly.

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds great! I will certainly be trying your suggestion.

I find most rotaries are OK with the buttons. (MFD dimmer's, etc.) it is the course selector dial that I can't really control. It's the fine tuning bit that I need. So will try what you suggest. But look forward to your future iterations!

And please don't cut down on your post lenghts, the info is invaluable! :thumbup:

Hey mate. Yes good to be back! I find myself at home for the last week or so, can't imagine why...Unfortunatley I feel that will be changing shortly.

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds great! I will certainly be trying your suggestion.

I find most rotaries are OK with the buttons. (MFD dimmer's, etc.) it is the course selector dial that I can't really control. It's the fine tuning bit that I need. So will try what you suggest. But look forward to your future iterations!

And please don't cut down on your post lenghts, the info is invaluable! :thumbup:

Ahh, yes the hold left click and move hand up and and down is good for brightness knobs and such, but not useful for small discrete channel changes. That's when you use the technique detailed above, It actually works very well for those type of fine adjustments.

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

That's when you use the technique detailed above, It actually works very well for those type of fine adjustments.

Got it! Ha, finally it all makes sense. Just tried it and your method works!!! (I never doubted you for a moment! :D)

Thanks so much for taking the time to expalin the finer points of mouse scrolling. Though I should have found that out myself, so sorry for taking up more of your time.

I'm a month in to using pointctrl and can say I absolutely love it.

However I wasn't too keen on having my hand float about and felt it was a bit of an immersion killer.

So I now have a ply dashboard.

What's really made it so much better for me is a sheet of 6 mm ply fixed to my desk. It's cut to the cockpit size and shape, I mainly fly the A-10C. I now no longer have a floating hand, using the UFC is a breeze and accurate, scrolling is also so much better I just slide back and forth over the ply. I've ditched thrustmaster Mfds, the ply cut out corresponds with the Mfds position to make it all feel so realistic.

bab9a37bcafac85257b3790580508ba6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I'm a month in to using pointctrl and can say I absolutely love it.

However I wasn't too keen on having my hand float about and felt it was a bit of an immersion killer.

So I now have a ply dashboard.

What's really made it so much better for me is a sheet of 6 mm ply fixed to my desk. It's cut to the cockpit size and shape, I mainly fly the A-10C. I now no longer have a floating hand, using the UFC is a breeze and accurate, scrolling is also so much better I just slide back and forth over the ply. I've ditched thrustmaster Mfds, the ply cut out corresponds with the Mfds position to make it all feel so realistic.

Great stuff Andrew :thumbup:

I have actually very often been playing with this exact same idea. But I play a lot of modules (both helo's and fixed wing) and the different cockpit layouts/from is so different I'm having doubts about it.

Can you give some feedback on the immersion level when you step inside another cockpit?

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I shall try some other modules tomorrow but I bet they all work, cockpits maybe laid out differently but the geometry of your body isn't. Which module would you like me to check? I have quite a few.

I was going to print off an A-10C cockpit and wallpaper over the board, but once you're in the headset you realise that's a bit of a waste of time. However currently what with the lockdown that's what I do have!

I was going to install my Mfds and some lumps bumps and dummy switches to the board so I can physically touch something, but I've got a feeling it's really not needed, I shall experiment over the next week. I was thinking of hook and loop tape so you could move them for each module.

I think PoinrCtrl probably makes a full pit build unnecessary, and it will certainly be flexible.