PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

No, I use the MFDs for F1, F2, F10, Kneeboard/+/- etc. Pretty much anything that is not in the cockpit is on the MFDs, mostly system buttons. I use buttons on the Warthog for gear, engine start (Home Key) that kind of stuff. But if I can click on it in the cockpit I use my finger lasers. Course, I do have four more MFDs on a shelf.

Appreciated your input, after reading this post and Discord, I noticed many users are selling their devices and sticking to PointCTRL only.

I have several(Saitek panel, 3 MFDs, A-10 UFC...) so want to plan in advance if I have to make substantial modification to my cockpit once PointrCTRL unit arrives.

Thanks again.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I sold my Mfds. I did think I could position and sort of use with pointctrl, but couldn't get it to work i realised it was a waste of time. Just use pointctrl.

I do have a small keyboard close, and have stuck some tabs over the f1, f5, and F10 keys so I can find them easily.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I sold my Mfds. I did think I could position and sort of use with pointctrl, but couldn't get it to work i realised it was a waste of time. Just use pointctrl.

I do have a small keyboard close, and have stuck some tabs over the f1, f5, and F10 keys so I can find them easily.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thank you!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

While I still have my MFDs, I stopped building the extra switch boxes I had planned and don't really use the MFDs. With a VR headset on it's faster to use PointCtrl for the MFDs for me. The only time the other physical switches are needed is when I don't want to take the time to look away from what I'm doing to click it on with PointCtrl, like configuring the airplane to land in the carrier pattern. I could still do it pretty easily and actually maybe faster still than finding the physical buttons and switches blind, but on some rare occasions you may sacrifice speed for looking outside the cockpit.

The buttons are handy and very natural for the salute command for the catapult and NVG on/gain adjustments.

I was very happy to see PointCtrl in use with the USAF in that video, congrats Miles!

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

While I still have my MFDs, I stopped building the extra switch boxes I had planned and don't really use the MFDs. With a VR headset on it's faster to use PointCtrl for the MFDs for me. The only time the other physical switches are needed is when I don't want to take the time to look away from what I'm doing to click it on with PointCtrl, like configuring the airplane to land in the carrier pattern. I could still do it pretty easily and actually maybe faster still than finding the physical buttons and switches blind, but on some rare occasions you may sacrifice speed for looking outside the cockpit.

The buttons are handy and very natural for the salute command for the catapult and NVG on/gain adjustments.

I was very happy to see PointCtrl in use with the USAF in that video, congrats Miles!

Really appreciated your input, thanks. In fact I stopped working on my Hornet UFC and Viper ICP, which were summer projects, as my number in the waiting list has come closer.

• Like 1

Really appreciated your input, thanks. In fact I stopped working on my Hornet UFC and Viper ICP, which were summer projects, as my number in the waiting list has come closer.

Yeah, especially for the ICPs/UFCs. If you only fly one aircraft, you build muscle memory for all the blind physical button mashing I think it might be faster. But as soon as you switch models, being able to see what's going on with them with the different button layouts is faster.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

Hey Harlikwin,

FireCat says you keep your original number for v2. So when v2 comes out and you want to upgrade, you don't have to wait. When v2 production starts shipping, the list should go very fast, so the point should be moot.

Thanks for your patience and continued support,

Miles

Patently waiting for v2 myself

Ok, I’ve not been on DCS and therefore used PointCTRL for a few weeks and now it’s not working.

I was fiddling with an Arduino recently and was changing com ports here and there so I don’t know if I’ve done something there or not.

I’ve been back to try and re-set everything back up without luck. I change the port (only 1 of the 9 available turns green), press the number 2 button and it will not connect.

For a while Windows gave me a message that the device was not recognised but this no longer happens. Plugging it into my Star.com powered hub, the USB port light comes on briefly then goes off - I’ve tried many different USB ports.

In device manager it says Device Descriptor request failed (code 43).

The PointCTRL HMD has a red light (is it supposed to have a green light as well?)

Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Ok, I’ve not been on DCS and therefore used PointCTRL for a few weeks and now it’s not working.

I was fiddling with an Arduino recently and was changing com ports here and there so I don’t know if I’ve done something there or not.

I’ve been back to try and re-set everything back up without luck. I change the port (only 1 of the 9 available turns green), press the number 2 button and it will not connect.

For a while Windows gave me a message that the device was not recognised but this no longer happens. Plugging it into my Star.com powered hub, the USB port light comes on briefly then goes off - I’ve tried many different USB ports.

The PointCTRL HMD has a red light (is it supposed to have a green light as well?)

Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

You could also try Discord channel, maybe more users can read your issue there.

Hope anyone can help.

Thanks

Hey Mr Mojo,

Voice Assist will only recognize PointCTRL when its using in ports 1 thru 10. If you were programing arduinos, there may be a lot of unused populated com ports.

If you haven't already, I would try unplugging PointCTRL and removing all of the unused devices as in the pic below. Then plug PointCTRL back in and update the firmware. The PointCTRL firmware may be corrupted by accidentally uploading to the PointCTRL port with the arduino IDE.

I would also check the USB connector on the HMS, we had had several of them fail if they get stressed.

Let me know how you make out, we wil get it sorted, Its best to catch me in the discord for PoitCTRL support.

Milesd860679325_Com_Ports.jpgwidth1254ampheight786.thumb.jpg.e19270d194671f2ff129f8fdb5a079a5.jpg

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Ok, I got it now. You were right, it was a firmware issue. Reinstalled the latest firmware and manually changed the COM port - as soon as I pressed button 2 on the HMD it connected. Everything is back to normal.

Thanks, Miles

• Like 1

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Any idea on when the list will be moving again?

Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen)

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630, 32gb DDR Ram CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 DRAM ,   Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Xtreme 10G 2.0, Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, Intel 115X/2066, AMD AM4/TR4, Corsair CP-9020180-NA RMX Series RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, 4 SSD 1TB

I am focusing on v2 right now, have been working hard at it, and should be posting some updates soon. My quarantine is over from my trip, and Los' son Miles, is starting work again today, so things should pick up again.

Again, thank you everyone for your patience and support.

Miles

• Like 1

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I am focusing on v2 right now, have been working hard at it, and should be posting some updates soon. My quarantine is over from my trip, and Los' son Miles, is starting work again today, so things should pick up again.

Miles

that´s great news!

Miles

Will the V1 waiters be automatically moved to the V2 list? Are you going to stop production of the V1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurora R11, Oculus Quest in Rift mode, Core i9 10900k, 64g ram 6tb NvMe, 2080ti, Reverb G2 preordered

Will the V1 waiters be automatically moved to the V2 list? Are you going to stop production of the V1?

Hey Harlequin420,

PointCTRL v2 is replacing v1, It's the same list for v1 and v2, it will just pick up by lowest number first. v2 is much easier to produce, so hopefully I will get through this list soon, build inventory, and just go just live on the web site with same day shipping.

Thanks for the question,

Miles

• Like 1

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey Harlequin420,

PointCTRL v2 is replacing v1, It's the same list for v1 and v2, it will just pick up by lowest number first. v2 is much easier to produce, so hopefully I will get through this list soon, build inventory, and just go just live on the web site with same day shipping.

Thanks for the question,

Miles

Awesome! Two more short questions and I’ll stop bugging you. I’m about ~50 away on the list. But since ordering I now have my G2 coming and a Pimax 8KX. So a) can we order 2 when our number is called and b) are all the kits basically the same (since when I ordered it was for my Oculus Quest) and now have new/different VR devices that aren’t listed on your supported list yet...?

Aurora R11, Oculus Quest in Rift mode, Core i9 10900k, 64g ram 6tb NvMe, 2080ti, Reverb G2 preordered

Awesome! Two more short questions and I’ll stop bugging you. I’m about ~50 away on the list. But since ordering I now have my G2 coming and a Pimax 8KX. So a) can we order 2 when our number is called and b) are all the kits basically the same (since when I ordered it was for my Oculus Quest) and now have new/different VR devices that aren’t listed on your supported list yet...?

Hey Harlequin420,

You are certainly not bugging me. As I have said before, I do this because I enjoy being part of this community. The best part of the whole PointCTRL thing is when I am on discord voice/screen share with you guys and you use PointCTRL for the first time. Even though it's a simple device, and a pain to make, the reaction is always well worth the efforts.

I keep updating the HMS mounts as new VR Headsets come out. When your number is up, that's when you specify which mount you want. As far as ordering 2 sets, If I have enough units, you can order 2 if you like. Like I said, when v2 production starts it should go fast.

Thanks,

Miles

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

certainly not bugging me

Course it is bugging him. He has started to drink. Heavily. Hanging out with undesirables, stealing cars (mostly Honda Elements, cause he likes the headroom and the rubber floors which are surprisingly dog friendly) and burgalizing burgalable burgs to come up with money to pay for his drinking habit. Chocolate milk is not cheap you know.

Course it is bugging him. He has started to drink. Heavily. Hanging out with undesirables, stealing cars (mostly Honda Elements, cause he likes the headroom and the rubber floors which are surprisingly dog friendly) and burgalizing burgalable burgs to come up with money to pay for his drinking habit. Chocolate milk is not cheap you know.

Dammit Vorkosigan, That was supposed to have been a private conversation between you and I. But things have progressed from chocolate milk to a nice 50/50 mix of Tequila and Mylanta with some fresh mint from the garden. I think that may be part of the reason v2 is taking so long though.

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hi,

This device emulates mouse isn't it? Or is it separate from mouse? For instance if I move the mouse does it conflict with pointctrl?

That would be great to have it emulate a vr controller as well. I have a vive, clicking on the left of the headset fires up the steamvr interface that allows me to launch desktop view for instance which can be handy to do something on the desktop without removing my headset... BUT I need to fire up my steamvr controller to be able to click on anything inside this VR interface. Not very convenient... would be amazing to be able to do that with pointctrl...

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

It's mouse emulation, which makes it work with the most possible hardware and doesn't even have to use it with VR then. It's like any other time you have two mouse devices installed, the one being actively used is the used input. It seamlessly transitions between moouse devices then too. I get what you are asking with SteamVR, but this way there is no Oculus vs. Steam, no extra lighthouse, etc. issues.

I haven't played with Vive controllers. If those commands are able to be keyboard key bound (I doubt it but haven't checked), the ABPs could be used to do those things.

This is why I love these forums, all of these great ideas that you guys share.

I didn't even think of using the headset mounted PointCTRL aux buttons to go to the virtual desktop. I was just thinking of a way to alt/tab to change window focus with the aux buttons. The Aux buttons are now hard coded as q,w,e,r,t, and y, and you can use them with DCS modifies as well.

Just like Snake122 said, if you can come up with a keyboard command, you can do anything you want with the aux buttons. I use PointCTRL all the time on the Oculus virtual desctop.I know RougeSquadron uses "keyboard gremlin" to do a lot of custom mapping with PointCTRL.

Hope that helps, thanks for the question harf4ng, and thanks for the answer Snake122. Its really helpful when you guys provide feedback, ideas, and answers for each other, and also me.

Miles

• Like 1

PointCTRLsmall.jpg