Hornet UFC (potentially)

Brun

I believe lettering for panels, etc is generally reserved for CNC's and laser cutters rather than 3D printers, no?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Obviously the smaller the detail, the harder it's gonna be to reproduce. I knew I was being optimistic with my attempt so wasn't too surprised at the result.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I believe lettering for panels, etc is generally reserved for CNC's and laser cutters rather than 3D printers, no?

Normally yes chap I'd agree but having seen Brun's I didn't think this would be an issue especially as some of the details that can be achieve with 3d printing can be really fine. I've asked Shapeways to take a look. If they say no I might have no other choice but to carefully and manually take a fine dremel point to it and carve it out.

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

Normally yes chap I'd agree but having seen Brun's I didn't think this would be an issue especially as some of the details that can be achieve with 3d printing can be really fine. I've asked Shapeways to take a look. If they say no I might have no other choice but to carefully and manually take a fine dremel point to it and carve it out.

Was more a question for my own knowledge, I'm not entirely sure what is/is not possible with today's top tier 3D printers. I hope Shapeway's can get you sorted out.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The text is quite shallow on my home printed one as well. I plan on trying to fill them with white paint. There's no reason why deeper text wouldn't come out well, it's just down to how deep the text is cut in the model.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Brun, any chance you could provide a link to the brass inserts you used. I am having trouble finding inserts with the shoulder that is shown on the fittings page you provided. Thanks

M3, M4.

The design doesn't really matter as long as the dimensions are similar. I ended up with different ones cos I didn't order them at the same time. Both I used were a rather tight fit and required some force to get in the holes, was surprised how stubborn this printed plastic can be.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The text is quite shallow on my home printed one as well. I plan on trying to fill them with white paint. There's no reason why deeper text wouldn't come out well, it's just down to how deep the text is cut in the model.

I do text at least 1.5mm deep at a minimum and do the font as bold where possible.

Where are you suggesting that the brass inserts be used?

I'm assuming those will be fit the main panel to lower and others to the side panels.

@Brun have you got picture of the back of the UFC fitted to the brackets - just interested to see how you've mounted it. Still not heard back from Shapeways yet.

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

Where are you suggesting that the brass inserts be used?

If you download the zip from here there's an image with what screws to use where. I've just realised it's not particularly clear, but the inserts go opposite the blue and yellow screws. I should probably upload or add a link to that on shapeways.

I actually found that the main and HUD panels were such a good fit (beginner's luck) when pressed together that the screws probably weren't necessary. No harm in a bit of over-engineering though.

As mentioned on the image, you could just use screws with a nut on the inside. However that may interfere with the switches, it's all pretty tight in there.

@Brun have you got picture of the back of the UFC fitted to the brackets - just interested to see how you've mounted it. Still not heard back from Shapeways yet.

Everything's in pieces at the moment, am drilling holes in more brackets to mount the MFDs to the main brackets.

If Red Dead Redemption doesn't occupy all my weekend I'll hopefully get that sorted and upload some pics. To be honest my solution isn't very pretty, so you may want to go ahead and improvise.

Hornet UFC (potentially)

Hey Brun,

I just wrote to thank you. Not many people share their work as you did.

Your UFC design is clever, clean and amazing. I’m building myself an F16 pit but I’ll probably give a try to your design for my second PC because it looks great.

Cheers

Donated too ;)

Edited by mrwell

Wow!!

That looks really cool! Definitely going to give this a go.

I have a question.. Can you provide a STEP export of this?

CAD modeling is my dayjob, and the software I'm using has some serious trouble importing/using the mesh data, so a STEP export would be highly appreciated.

I'm (re)doing my cockpit and designing in this UFC which is going to be hot-swappeable with an A-10C UFC (yet to be constructed), for this reason I want to get the 3D file into my CAD model of my pit and make some personalised changes.

Google-ing said that fusion360 has the export option to go to STEP file.

Sorry, it was modelled as polygons rather than CAD surfaces so a STEP export isn't possible. Have no knowledge of Fusion 360.

Sorry, it was modelled as polygons rather than CAD surfaces so a STEP export isn't possible. Have no knowledge of Fusion 360.

Hmm that's a bummer... I thought I'd read you've modelled this in fusion, hence my question. You've no way to turn this into some kind of solid?

If not, can you give some outline dimensions? And attachment hole pattern/size? Would be awesome :-)

Hmm that's a bummer... I thought I'd read you've modelled this in fusion, hence my question. You've no way to turn this into some kind of solid?

If not, can you give some outline dimensions? And attachment hole pattern/size? Would be awesome :-)

Its been a bane of CAD designers everywhere that there is no cross compatibility between design formats..There are some programs that do it with limited success..

The easiest way is to get the file in the same format it was designed in..Or use a 2d CAD file and redraw it in 3D.:helpsmilie:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey gent's

I have decided to jump in and build a ufc for the 18c. I have ordered the BB-64, but I need help with the choice of potentiometers, or ( encoders ) which is a much bigger expense. My question is other than the brightness knob can potentiometers be used on the other rotary positions or are encoders a must. I am a electrical retard :book: but not completely dumb. My opinion. :noexpression:

Intel core I9 10900K 3.7 ghz

Asrock Z490 Extreme4

G-SKill Ripjaws V 32GB

Cooler Master 120m

GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

DCS-Bios - there's even an F18 library that has been written by an incredibly witty, handsome and intelligent forum member ;)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210960

Also my mouser order arrived today but I'm still waiting on my black filament order. Might be time to crank one of these babies out in grey as a place holder ...

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai