Static & Dynamic Weather Settings in Mission Editor

Hi,

I have a couple of questions on Weather settings in the Mission Editor:

1. You can only have Static or Dynamic Weather settings but not both. Correct?

2. To have Static Weather, stay in the Static Weather tab when saving the mission. To have Dynamic Weather, stay in the Dynamic Weather tab when saving the mission. Am I right? I'm not sure how it is suppose to work.

3. Is the Dynamic Weather settings work-in-progress? I read somewhere that it doesn't always work properly.

4. I've looked at a few YouTube video tutorials on the Mission Editor but could not find any recent ones that explain the Dynamic Weather settings. Any good tutorial links?

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

The black lines should be isobars, lines/ridges of similar pressures. Imagine a topographical map showing lines of elevation, the closer together the more change in elevation. Here is the same, with pressure. Closer together = more pressure changes = more winds. There seems to be a “H”igh pressure system in the middle, indicating possible clear of clouds weather and calm winds near Novorossiysk.

The white symbol are wind barbs: direction and speed. A small tab is 5kts, long tab 10, a circle calm, triangle 50. Assuming its knots, because it could be metric on dcs. Then you can combine them to show 15kts, 60, etc. The direction works like an arrow, pointing towards the wind direction (I hope in dcs). Imagine the wind speed barb are the feathers on an arrow.

http://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/help?page=plot

The black lines should be isobars, lines/ridges of similar pressures. Imagine a topographical map showing lines of elevation, the closer together the more change in elevation. Here is the same, with pressure. Closer together = more pressure changes = more winds. There seems to be a “H”igh pressure system in the middle, indicating possible clear of clouds weather and calm winds near Novorossiysk.

The white symbol are wind barbs: direction and speed. A small tab is 5kts, long tab 10, a circle calm, triangle 50. Assuming its knots, because it could be metric on dcs. Then you can combine them to show 15kts, 60, etc. The direction works like an arrow, pointing towards the wind direction (I hope in dcs). Imagine the wind speed barb are the feathers on an arrow.

Thank you!

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

Any good tutorial links?

Not really a Tutorial, but this document describes in great detail how the dynamic weather works and how to edit the weather files:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26gvxmAyOmNYvqkuchCw

... they are stored as lua files on the /saved games/dcs/mission editor/weather/dynamic, folder, like this:

B1TGfjz.jpg

Thus you could build a small library with those dynamic weather files that give best results ... they can be reused on other missions, using the Load button:

9UNNDiY.jpg

Hopefully a Moderator will move this thread to the Mission Builder's Corner, as it has little to do with the F-18 in particular :)

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The direction works like an arrow, pointing towards the wind direction (I hope in dcs). Imagine the wind speed barb are the feathers on an arrow.

This rises an old issue... in all aviation, the wind direction is always the direction the wind is coming FROM!!! when you ask the tower for a wind check and they say WIND 180 AT 15 it means that the wind is blowing FROM the south at 15 knots (in most of the world...). I find it very complicated to translate the DCS way (which for some strange reason, not only it is the direction the wind is blowing TO! ... and on top of this... in meters per second...).

If I may, let me quote :

''Wind direction is always given as a radial measure in degrees stating the direction from which the wind is blowing'' from the SKYBRARY website

Takling about the m/s problem, we know that meteorological stations in many European countries including Russia give the wind in m/s... and I think that it would be nice if in the ME or UI we had the possibility to switch from international knots to m/s if we wanted, just like we can go from metric to imperial at a switch of a menu...

BUT I AGREE THAT THIS THREAD IS IN THE WRONG PLACE:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

actually, just made a small experiment and I was very surprised!

With dynamic weather, the wind barbs are indeed showing the normal way (like a flowing arrow) and pointing in the direction where the wind is going!!! I was not able to check the wind speed wether it was in knots or m/s because ATC wouldnt give me the winds for takeoff... but they seemed close to what I was seeing in knots (with the barbs...).

IRL you get the weather from any source in terms of the direction FROM which the wind is blowing and on the weather maps, the barbs show the direction TO which the wind is blowing. If the wind is indicated 18015 in the METAR, you have a wind of 15 knots blowing FROM the south (180) and you would get, on weather maps, an arrow pointing north with one long and one short barbs...

In DCS, the barbs are the same, but in static weather, when you input the wind with the little rotating dial, you punch in the direction INTO which the wind is blowing (just like the arrow of the barbs but contrarily to normal WEATHER REPORTS AND METARS...)

all this is confusing...

add to this that in order to takeoff on Runway 360 one has to taxi in a 180 degrees direction to be at the south end, pointed north of course, with a wind coming FROM 360 therefore blowing TO the south, and the windsock 's cone is also pointing to the south...

Or better : you get a 360 wind... that is why you takeoff runway 360... (because you takeoff AGAINST the wind...):megalol::megalol::megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Just a couple more questions as shown in this screenshot. Appreciate any help, thanks!

attachment.php?attachmentid=192747&stc=1&d=1535375877

The black lines mark the outer limit of the defined pressure system(s) on the map. There are 5 systems shown in the image. (You can’t see the defined limit of the high pressure system (H) sitting in the middle of the image because it’s larger than the map shown.)

The white symbols are wind barbs as commented on by others.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thanks everyone.

The wind barb's little pin head is like an arrow head pointing in the direction of where the wind is blowing TO, correct?

Is there a way to dissipate the fog over a period of time. For example, start a mission at 0530 and the fog starts to disappear. Right now, if the fog is on, it stays on.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Is there a way to dissipate the fog over a period of time. For example, start a mission at 0530 and the fog starts to disappear. Right now, if the fog is on, it stays on.

Yes, would be cool if dynamic weather could do that, maybe even have a thunderstorm followed by sunshine. I think dynamic weather at the moment only changes pressures (and whatever that leads to, if any) according to the outdated DCS World User Manual.

"Dynamic weather. Weather formed by differences in the atmospheric pressure and dynamically changing during the mission."

For those new to this weather stuff (station models, wind barbs, symbols, etc) here is a pictorial explanation gathered from Google images.

attachment.php?attachmentid=192856&stc=1&d=1535513362

847692296_WeatherSymbols.thumb.jpg.026e0aac10ce8c88d2835707e608ca5c.jpg

Yes, would be cool if dynamic weather could do that, maybe even have a thunderstorm followed by sunshine. I think dynamic weather at the moment only changes pressures (and whatever that leads to, if any) according to the outdated DCS World User Manual.

"Dynamic weather. Weather formed by differences in the atmospheric pressure and dynamically changing during the mission."

Static weather is basically uniform throughout the entire map. Dynamic weather is fairly static in its own right, but in a different way. The weather can change throughout the map depending on whatever the pressure system dictates. So you can have localized rain. By the looks of things every 5 minutes it will update the weather ever so slightly. So you will see minor changes in wind and pressure over a given point. However temperature doesn't appear to change as the day goes by.

Screen_180830_235159.thumb.jpg.0d24fe695cd7640cd36a5fff251bdad1.jpg

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I thought dynamic weather was not working properly, did they fix it?

It works fine in SP, doesn't play well with others in MP.

Static weather is basically uniform throughout the entire map. Dynamic weather is fairly static in its own right, but in a different way. The weather can change throughout the map depending on whatever the pressure system dictates. So you can have localized rain. By the looks of things every 5 minutes it will update the weather ever so slightly. So you will see minor changes in wind and pressure over a given point. However temperature doesn't appear to change as the day goes by.

Dynamic weather is fairly static in its own right, but in a different way

Actually, the systems move, and the weather will change over time - so it can be clear sky, then overcast, then clear sky - just not often in the timeframe most people watch.

There are parameters for rotation and "ellipticity" that determine the shape of the system, and how fast it rotates, which in turn can influence how fast the weather changes on the ground.

Make an empty dynamic weather mission with like 6 systems and watch from an airfield for a day on super fast forward.

Cheers.

If you stand behind the Russian Infantry unit and fast forward (I ran @ x 500), you can watch the weather change from cloudy to clear, then back to cloudy in the evening, and over the course of the day the wind swings from Easterly to Westerly, Next morning another front comes through, and by then the wind has died away.

Some places it rains, then stops, then later rains again.

DYN_Weather_Edit_7.miz

Cheers.

Oh wow yeah. Guess I wasn't focused to heavily on a given point to notice the wind changes. Good to know.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum