What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?

Wags

What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?  

1875 members have voted

1. 1. What new feature of the Hornet are you most looking forward to?

• Joint Helmet Mounted Cuing System (JHMCS)
    • ATFLIR Targeting Pod
    • HARM
    • Guided Bombs
    • Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS)
    • Air to Surface Radar
    • Data Link (MIDS / Link-16 / IFF)
    • A/A Radar TWS/RAID/AZ EL/LTWS
    • Harpoon
    • SLAM / SLAM-ER

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem weird to implement AIM-7/9/120, and not finish the AA radar.. Even weirder to switch to AG radar when AA is missing so much.

^^^^ This, again! :thumbup:

I'm going to be quoting Beamscanner a lot in this thread....Though the Devs are probably only going to look at the actual poll results rather than our comments.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

It would seem weird to implement AIM-7/9/120, and not finish the AA radar.. Even weirder to switch to AG radar when AA is missing so much.

^^^^ This, again! :thumbup:

I'm going to be quoting Beamscanner a lot in this thread....Though the Devs are probably only going to look at the actual poll results rather than our comments.

New features are of course in parallel with improving and correcting existing systems.

The existing AA radar is improving and will continue to. Personally I would love to see the ground radar come to life in parallel with the AA radar improvements. What ever makes it next will be great. Bring it all on!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

If you consider the question from the perspective of what is most needed to give the Early Access Hornet pilot the most flexibility in dealing with threats: HARM is the singular most important piece. ED have done an excellent job giving us a highly capable AA and AG platform in EA. If we can defeat SAM/AAA threats we can use dumb bombs until we get ATFLIR and Guided Bombs. A lot of us are getting very proficient at defeating short range, low to medium-altitude SAMs and AAA but the long range, high-altitude ones remain a challenge :-).

From a mission builder perspective, lack of HARM is also the biggest issue (IMO) we have to consider in building Hornet-only missions, especially in PG where there aren't very many mountains or valleys to hide yourself.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

I think the HARM will improve game play the most. Redfor Radar guided SAMs are unstoppable until the HARM is released. Dedicated bluefor SEAD flights will make a huge difference.

I am shocked at the results of the poll, just call it the A-18C...

just forget about fighting your way in/out, or building SA to make good decisions.

I think this shows us how the community really uses the module, or rather: it shows people's prefered way of playing DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

SLAM-ER.

i will conspire to get it banned, by getting a few people together and deleting bases from standoff distances online.

but seriously, probably ATFLIR/DLINK/HARM. unfortunately we are going to have the BMS problem (henceforth known as the DCS/BMS problem) in that the SAMs are going to be too dumb and HARM is going to be rod from god effective in wasting everything, with a standoff distance that will be impossible to beat.

without banning 1/2 of the weapons available on the future hornet, it's going to absolutely destroy multiplayer. hornet will be the most capable thing in the game by literal miles, at every role and in every situation.

Bluefor doesn't have SEAD. The Sidearm doesn't count. That's a short range self defense weapon. It's hard to do CAP or fight your way in/out when you're defending from radar guided SAMs all the time.

I think the Tomcat will take the A2A cake when it's released as far as weapon and sensor range is concerned. There's going to be bluefor and redfor Tomcats on the 104th. The major discrepancy being on redfor you have to fly the F14A's TF-30s which will be hard, but you still have arguably the best sensors in the game.

SLAM-ER.

i will conspire to get it banned, by getting a few people together and deleting bases from standoff distances online.

but seriously, probably ATFLIR/DLINK/HARM. unfortunately we are going to have the BMS problem (henceforth known as the DCS/BMS problem) in that the SAMs are going to be too dumb and HARM is going to be rod from god effective in wasting everything, with a standoff distance that will be impossible to beat.

without banning 1/2 of the weapons available on the future hornet, it's going to absolutely destroy multiplayer. hornet will be the most capable thing in the game by literal miles, at every role and in every situation.

Edited by Heavy-D69420

it's just going to depend on how effective chaff is against it. either chaff is effective, and it'll be useless like R-27ER or chaff will be ineffective and it will make A-A something nobody else need bother showing up for.

SLAM-ER.

Multiplayer will evolve, like it has with every module that has come before it.

The poll as it stands almost perfectly reflects my own personal Hornet priorities. HARM, ATFLIR, A2G Radar, AA Radar, JHMCS (in that order).

I get why a lot of these things feel so important to so many. The hornet is currently a collection half measures. It only has dumb bombs which are lackluster, since the area has to be sanitized of anything even remotely threatening (or not present in the first place). The broken countermeasure totals limit your survivibility to basically a single strela. The only appeal in using the hornet for AG is that its faster in and out, and that it has standoff self-defense capability(Air to Air). Even the F-5e and Mirage can drop GBUs without the help of a targeting pod. So literally everything else is better suited for AG.

Air to air is mess where anything you lock up has to be centered on the hud to confirm friend and actual enemies turn friendly just by flying low. Having to pull up to a 70 degree turn at 1.5 Gs to confirm a contact is non-sense. Being on SRS/TS can help (when you can get people on it), but AI tankers and AWACS can't call "Buddy Spike". Buddy spike has to be given with altitude since everything in the azimuth thinks their being locked. AWACS declare is broken/absent for the hornet. So the Hornet needs at a minimum to have NCTR, to both improve SA and greatly reduce air to air fratricides. The alternative is having an Eagle on comms.

Multiplayer will evolve, like it has with every module that has come before it.

The poll as it stands almost perfectly reflects my own personal Hornet priorities. HARM, ATFLIR, A2G Radar, AA Radar, JHMCS (in that order).

multiplayer will evolve into a hellscape for everything that isn't the hornet, anyway. how to counter standoff penetrating terrain following cruise missiles? the only way is to put 20 point defense systems at every airfield, in which case you've obsoleted most of the platforms which can't handle it. to handle HARM, you'll need half a dozen S-300 everywhere, which will obsolete everything that isn't swinging the biggest mallet around.

personally i hope they make AGM-45/78 because any of the higher-tier standoff weapons are going to either 1. nuke everything or 2. necessitate such a ridiculous defense turtle that everything else will be useless.

i expect really that the higher end weapons will simply be banned on most (good) servers, as they will be patently ridiculous to defend against.

Originally Posted by kobeshow View Post

just forget about fighting your way in/out, or building SA to make good decisions.

^^^ I'll quote these good old A/A requests all day long. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Originally Posted by kobeshow View Post

^^^ I'll quote these good old A/A requests all day long. :thumbup:

Your 3rd post...

Everyone has their own preferences you quoting A/A voted guys is not going to change the fact that majority of the people chosen A/G features. :thumbup:

To be honest . not fair that we can only choose one :)

So many nice things in this plane :)

So to sum up, being able to multi role a/g and a/a is big thing for this plane :)

We can now but not very well.

So data link to give more than one player a purpose.

Datalink will give a lot of players a good time :)

Not to compare with bms but there u have color mfd and so of iff right off the bat and can use your skills, where right now in the hornet you are half blind.

And u need to work on awacs, it is more of a confusion than a help in mp session atm :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am worried the "need to fix" list will become to large when other features are implemented the way they are now. After every update there are some :doh: moments which then takes them a minimum of two weeks to straighten out. I know its early access so don't take it the wrong way.

My vote. We have a descent amount of A/A weaponry with a buggy A/A radar. It is 'usable' but not the way it should. Fix it and continue to the next big thing.

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

4. Data Cartridge capability

Does this exist for the F-18C?

giphy.gif

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals