Are the startup tests important?

JohnZ622

During startup, we need to do things like fire test, fcs test, lights test. Is this just for show or can the game generate random system failures during startup in which case these tests are actually necessary? If there is a failure, how can I repair it?

They are just there for show. If you activate random failures, then they should work as expected but then you just spawn a new plane if you have a failure.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

... can the game generate random system failures during startup in which case these tests are actually necessary?

The game by itself doesnt generate failures .. but the Mission Designer can introduce them, both as random events or triggered by some situation ... this video shows an example:

WwMSzQpqSLg

Most people treat DCS just as a game, and so dont want failures (tough they will happen as a result of combat damage) .. but those of us who treat DCS as a flight simulator, do enjoy being able to practice the emergency procedures of an aircraft :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On a related topic of start up procedures, am I missing something with regard to radio operation prior to engine start? As far as I can see there is no way to use the radio before you've lit the fires, so getting start-up clearance isn't possible. Is that correct or have I just been missing something?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Iirc, you should turn on electricity prior to engine start, so the radios should work.

On topic: When flying an actual aircraft, checking emergency stuff isn’t just to delay the launch, it’s an actual life-and-death Real Thing™.

So, technically it’s not needed but if you want to get the most out of DCS you should abide by proper procedures.

Edited by VZ_342

Yeah, sparking up the battery in this bird doesnt seem to get any power to whatever circuit powers the majority of the front panel controls.

I've not messed with the ground power options - I'm not sure theyyre even modelled at this point (the bunch of ground power switches on the lower left side panel).

Nothing really seems to come to life until one of the engines is lit and at idle..

Not a big deal of course, just flavour.

I've not messed with the ground power options - I'm not sure theyyre even modelled at this point (the bunch of ground power switches on the lower left side panel).

Nothing really seems to come to life until one of the engines is lit and at idle..

I got the radios(SRS, MP) working with ground-power only, by fiddling with them.

Think it was EXT PWR ON & 3 B ON...or something similar.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Yeah, sparking up the battery in this bird doesnt seem to get any power to whatever circuit powers the majority of the front panel controls.

I just tried this a few days ago - ground power works, but the radios are still dead until the right engine is running. But I think I just tried the A channels.

I got the radios(SRS, MP) working with ground-power only, by fiddling with them.

Gotta try that and the other Bs if needed. Or just check the NATOPS...

It's 2 B (p. 1-2-38 / 110 in the A1-F18AC-NFM-000.pdf)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

There is a handy sign on the wall next to the ground power switches that show which systems are energized :)

- ground power - ON

- all busses - ON B

Do not remember out of my head which one, but one switch you need to hold for 3 seconds in its ON-position (it is intentional like that and according to the NATOPS) - I think it is the first ground-power-B-bus you apply.

If I remember correct, it is implemented as it is like in the real jet.

Regards

REAPER 31 | Painter

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On a related topic of start up procedures, am I missing something with regard to radio operation prior to engine start? As far as I can see there is no way to use the radio before you've lit the fires, so getting start-up clearance isn't possible. Is that correct or have I just been missing something?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just because it's like that in DCS doesn't mean it's true. IRL start-up clearance is really not a common thing. You start communicating once you can taxi.

You need to hold the switches on a few sec to get them to lock on for you

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane

Just because it's like that in DCS doesn't mean it's true. IRL start-up clearance is really not a common thing. You start communicating once you can taxi.

Yes the procedure for doing a ground run would be contact tower after #2 is running and request a run-up. For normal starts it wouldn't be practical for say 20 jets to contacting tower for startups they have flight plans filed anyway like you said taxi is the first real contact with tower.

Startup clearance is AFAICT all about making sure there are no ground crew too close to the engines as they are started. I believe comair are far stricter about this.

I'm guessing the normal operating procedures of the f18 includes a startup in close coordination with nearby deck/ground crew, probably employing hand signals. Thus you don't need radios to make sure ground crew are clear. This was probably a consideration in the electrical systems design not powering the radios from the batteries.

To get ground power in dcs f18, you ask for it from the ground crew, you move the 'ground power on' switch to reset (it falls back to on) and then apply power to desired systems with the remaining switches. The first switch has to be held for 3 seconds. In all cases, the B position is all the systems for the A position plus some more, so setting all switches to B powers all systems.

There was a bug that would allow you to keep your plane on external power all throughout a flight, landing and post-shutdown, but I'm not able to do it now.

Edited by mahuja