Afterburner colour

Essah

wwvoxc5.png

"air temperature is cooler in the night/morning, hence air is denser allowing more oxygen as well. The afterburner plume can then burn at higher temperature again with more blue wavelength emissions. This effect is minimal though.

Lastly, the blue spectrum tends to scatter more over distance, and bright daylight masks much of the blue color (especially with blue sky in the background) in the afterburner plume, making the flame appear more yellow."

- Quora user here: https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-flame-behind-fighter-jets-appear-blue-in-the-night

this might be hard to model but it would be cool to have. I love the blue flame.

(if you can't tell, left is in game, and right is real life)

I'm sure they could code color & intensity to change with ambient light based on season, time of day, and weather. It's just a matter of priorities. It's also about resources. They could probably make the game far more realistic, but it may play like a slide show!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Indeed. The augmentor/afterburner color in DCS is not correct. I can confirm that the effects described above are correct.

There are a few variables though, but generally speaking, an afterburning engine which has a blue color in the afterburner plume has more oxygen available, the combustion is a little bit more efficient and complete, hence the higher temperatures.

The yellowish color you see in the exhaust is a product from an incomplete combustion, partially carbon glowing due to the high temperatures, that's why it appears yellowish. If you can somehow increase the amount of oxygen, perhaps reducing the amount of air being burnt in the combustion chamber, or by increasing the bypass ratio (if there is one), the flame should become more blueish, and hotter.

Take a look at an oven and a candle. They burn at different temperatures, the oven is very efficient, burning at a higher temperature, the combustion is more complete, meanwhile, the candle releases soot, due to the incomplete combustion and lower temperatures.

Regardless if it's yellow during the day, most of the time it'll be blueish at night.

A very cool effect, definitely not very difficult to implement this.