VPC Configurator Software

Cyph3r

On 8/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

This is my main gripe on Virpil. The use of encoders in lieu of potentiometers is a mistake in my opinion. I had no issues mapping the scroll wheels in my old Saitek X55 in DCS as well as IL2. I've been tearing my hair out trying to get the encoders to work properly and have searched all over the web. There are numerous suggestions... using the Virpil software to make virtual axis (doesn't seem to work for me), inputting delays (makes it sluggish or too fast and jerky), use Joystick Gremlin to ditto (I haven't figured it out yet but I really don't want to use more 3rd party software).

If anyone can post something that works (and a Luddite like myself can understand), I would be most grateful.

Yes, I would ask the same question.  Would like to use encoder for zoom if possible.  It works, but mine seems to be way too slow.  Wonder whether there is a way to make the wheel move faster.  Minor issue, certainly.  But would like to resolve.

Guys, let me just chip in here.  It is not a good idea to bind these button 2/3 and 14/15 encoders to switches, e.g. course and heading, as they need to be held down and the encoders don't do that.

They work perfectly in rotary dials, but work particularly well when set to axis in the VPC software button-to-axis process.  I use them for HUD brightness and HMD brightness as axes, but even as buttons, they work OK for those.  Make sure you have them set to buffered in VPC software as well.

Re zoom, they won't work as buttons, but sort of do as axis. However, I would highly recommend the more 'normal' z-axis for zoom. that is really what it is for.

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...

FOR A VIRPIL REP:
Yesterday I received my new Virpil VPC MT-50CM3 throttle, Constellation Alpha stick, and VPC Mongoose T-50CM2 base. So far I think I've got everything set up properly in the Virpil Configuration software. I will say that I have read thru the manual for the Virpil Software on the Virpil website and the instructions are extremely confusing and fail to simply outline and explain each of the steps required to set up new controls with the software. 

The quick start guide is OK, but it only provides a very high level explanation of how to update the firmware and doing a quick calibration. The VPC Software Technical Overview goes into a lot more detail, but its confusing and doesn't really provide a practical step by step guide of how to complete the set up of things beyond the firmware update and calibration. The Technical Overview gives a description of each function in the software, but doesn't really explain how to use each function, nor does it provide any uses cases for why someone would want to use a particular function in the software or practical advice in regards to typical settings. 

Here are some of the questions I have:

1. On the axis calibration screen when calibrating a new Virpil flight stick, what do you recommend for the dead zone settings? The software defaulted to a 2% deadzone for Min, Middle, and Max and 0 for Dynamic. I'm not sure why I would want a 2% deadzone at the center and upper end of X and Y axis for pitch and roll. I've always seen deadzones added to the lowest end of the axis to prevent control movements in the aircraft from unintended minor movements of the stick. If I want a 2% deadzone around the sticks center position, should I add 2% to Min or Middle? 

2. The Dynamic deadzone is a unique feature that I've never seen before in control set up software. According to the manual, dynamic deadzone % operates throughout the entire range of the axis input. Does this have the effect of preventing unwanted in aircraft control responses as the result of very minor unintended control inputs? It sounds useful, but I have no idea what an appropriate number would be for this. I don't want to deaden the stick to much, but it would be nice to prevent unwanted control responses when I am just barely wobbling the stick in my hand. The instructions say that entering a 10 will add a 1% dynamic deadzone. Do you recommend adding any dynamic deadzone for pitch and roll and if so, what do you recommend as a starting point? 

3. In DCS Axis Tune, the axis visual shows a live image of the control inputs and the control response indicated with 2 small red dots and a small black rectangle. This is very helpful to have a visual of the impact of adding deadzones and curves. In the Virpil software on the Axis page,  if I add a deadzone and a curve, I see a static representation of them in the Axis Visual window, but I couldn't find any way to see a live representation of my control inputs and outputs as a result of  any deadzone and curve thats been added. Is there any way to see a live visual comparable to the DCS Axis Tune window? 

4. In the software technical manual, it describers the two types of curves as Normal being for an axis with no physical center and Symmetrical being for an axis with a physical center (pitch and roll). If I add symmetrical curve and/or a dynamic deadzone in the Virpil software, will they override any curve and deadzone set up in the DCS Control Settings or do the Virpil software curves and deadzones, get combined with any curves and deadzones added in the DCS Control Axis Tune window?

5. How about if I check the box to invert an axis in the Virpil software and I also have the same axis inverted in the DCS Control settings Axis tune? Would they counter each other out, meaning that if you invert an axis in both DCS and the Virpil software, do you end up with a non-inverted axis?  

6. On the Button set up page in the Virpil software, there is a section titled Hardwar Button Modifications and at the very top of that section there is something called POVs 1-4 Mode with 4 boxes defaulted to OFF. Only the first of the 4 boxes can be changed from OFF, to either 4B4W, 4B8W, or 8B8W. If I change the first box from OFF to any of these 3 selections, then the 2nd box changes from being grayed out to being changeable. If I change the 2nd box from OFF to one of these selections, then the 3rd box becomes changeable. If I change the 3rd box from OFF, then the 4th box also unlocks and can be changed from OFF.  The software instructions provide almost no explanation of what these boxes are for and why someone would want to change them from OFF. Can you explain what tthe POVs 1-4 Mode is for and why someone would want to use it? 

7. In the same Hardware Button Modifications section of the Button page in the software, there is section labeled ALPS Decoding. Again the software, give a very confusing high level outlined of this section, but provides no practical explanation of what the ALPS Decoding section does or any use case for it. Can you provide a more clarity? What does the ALPS Decoding do and why would I want to use this section?

8. In  the bottom of the Hardware Button modification section, there is are functions labeled 8 way POV> 4 way POV:   Special Buttons count:    Encoder delay timer. Again, in the instructions there are very high level brief descriptions of each of these, but no explanation of how to use or why someone would want to use them. This is the theme throughout the Virpil Software Instructions. The only people who would understand your software instructions are people who don't need any instructions. Virpil really needs to create new software instruction manual with step by step instructions for how to use each function in the software. It would be evern better if Virpil put out a series of youtube videos with step by step demos showing how to use every function of the Virpil software, along with use cases for each  software function and recommended settings for each of your flight controls. 

9. My Virpil throttle came set up with the 6 momentary buttons and the 5-positon dial not connected to one another. So by default my throttle had the 6 button presses in DCS for the 6 physical buttons and 5 virtual button presses in DCS for each position on the 5-positon dial. I knew there was a way to set up the 5-position dial to be a modifier for the 6 buttons, so you end up with 30 buttons in DCS (6 buttons X 5 positions on the dial), but my throttle didn't arrive set up this way. the Virpil Software instructions briefly mentions the Buttons as Shift feature (modifier), but the software instructions provide zero explanation of how to configure a dial, switch, or buttons as a shift modifier for other buttons. I had to watch 3rd party Youtube videos to learn how to do this. I think most people want the dial to serve as a modifier for the 6 buttons, which turns them into 30 unique button presses. I would suggest configuring your throttles this way by default. It's easier to undo then it is to set up the dial as a modifier. 

Also, the 2-way metal switches and the 2-way plastic red switches on my throttle came with only 1-way mapped to a Windows button press. The 2nd position for all the switches was assigned a physical button number in the Virpil software, but they weren't assigned any virtual button press output and there were no instructions for how to do this. I eventually figured it out, but this is definitely something that should be explained in your instructions. Actually, 2-way switches should come shipped with both positions mapped to a button press output.

Now that I've assigned button press outputs for both ways on the 2-way switches, they will generate unique button press numbers in DCS when I flip the switches up and when I switch them back down. Without this added, whenever you flip a switch up he mapped control will turn on  in the aircraft, but when you flip the same switch down, nothing will happen in the DCS aircraft and the only way to turn that aircraft control off is to flip the same switch back up, which will cycle the control off. Then flipping the switch down will do nothing. By adding a button press to both positions on a 2-way switch, the switch will function as a toggle switch in the aircraft, which is what most people map 2-way switches to. 

• 2 weeks later...

How do the physical low, high, and low+high settings work when configuring detents? It'd be nice to set the throttle range to start at idle and not need to use a custom curve, while also maintaining the axis to button feature for stop/shutdown, but I have no idea if this is possible

44 minutes ago, Padinn said:

I have no idea if this is possible

It is. Use a button for 0% axis movement, and in DCS use a deadzone of 4, invert the axes and bind that button to IDLE/OFF. There's no need for curves.

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 6:35 PM, CrashAlot said:

FOR A VIRPIL REP:
Yesterday I received my new Virpil VPC MT-50CM3 throttle, Constellation Alpha stick, and VPC Mongoose T-50CM2 base. So far I think I've got everything set up properly in the Virpil Configuration software. I will say that I have read thru the manual for the Virpil Software on the Virpil website and the instructions are extremely confusing and fail to simply outline and explain each of the steps required to set up new controls with the software. 

The quick start guide is OK, but it only provides a very high level explanation of how to update the firmware and doing a quick calibration. The VPC Software Technical Overview goes into a lot more detail, but its confusing and doesn't really provide a practical step by step guide of how to complete the set up of things beyond the firmware update and calibration. The Technical Overview gives a description of each function in the software, but doesn't really explain how to use each function, nor does it provide any uses cases for why someone would want to use a particular function in the software or practical advice in regards to typical settings. 

Here are some of the questions I have:

1. On the axis calibration screen when calibrating a new Virpil flight stick, what do you recommend for the dead zone settings? The software defaulted to a 2% deadzone for Min, Middle, and Max and 0 for Dynamic. I'm not sure why I would want a 2% deadzone at the center and upper end of X and Y axis for pitch and roll. I've always seen deadzones added to the lowest end of the axis to prevent control movements in the aircraft from unintended minor movements of the stick. If I want a 2% deadzone around the sticks center position, should I add 2% to Min or Middle? 

2. The Dynamic deadzone is a unique feature that I've never seen before in control set up software. According to the manual, dynamic deadzone % operates throughout the entire range of the axis input. Does this have the effect of preventing unwanted in aircraft control responses as the result of very minor unintended control inputs? It sounds useful, but I have no idea what an appropriate number would be for this. I don't want to deaden the stick to much, but it would be nice to prevent unwanted control responses when I am just barely wobbling the stick in my hand. The instructions say that entering a 10 will add a 1% dynamic deadzone. Do you recommend adding any dynamic deadzone for pitch and roll and if so, what do you recommend as a starting point? 

3. In DCS Axis Tune, the axis visual shows a live image of the control inputs and the control response indicated with 2 small red dots and a small black rectangle. This is very helpful to have a visual of the impact of adding deadzones and curves. In the Virpil software on the Axis page,  if I add a deadzone and a curve, I see a static representation of them in the Axis Visual window, but I couldn't find any way to see a live representation of my control inputs and outputs as a result of  any deadzone and curve thats been added. Is there any way to see a live visual comparable to the DCS Axis Tune window? 

4. In the software technical manual, it describers the two types of curves as Normal being for an axis with no physical center and Symmetrical being for an axis with a physical center (pitch and roll). If I add symmetrical curve and/or a dynamic deadzone in the Virpil software, will they override any curve and deadzone set up in the DCS Control Settings or do the Virpil software curves and deadzones, get combined with any curves and deadzones added in the DCS Control Axis Tune window?

5. How about if I check the box to invert an axis in the Virpil software and I also have the same axis inverted in the DCS Control settings Axis tune? Would they counter each other out, meaning that if you invert an axis in both DCS and the Virpil software, do you end up with a non-inverted axis?  

6. On the Button set up page in the Virpil software, there is a section titled Hardwar Button Modifications and at the very top of that section there is something called POVs 1-4 Mode with 4 boxes defaulted to OFF. Only the first of the 4 boxes can be changed from OFF, to either 4B4W, 4B8W, or 8B8W. If I change the first box from OFF to any of these 3 selections, then the 2nd box changes from being grayed out to being changeable. If I change the 2nd box from OFF to one of these selections, then the 3rd box becomes changeable. If I change the 3rd box from OFF, then the 4th box also unlocks and can be changed from OFF.  The software instructions provide almost no explanation of what these boxes are for and why someone would want to change them from OFF. Can you explain what tthe POVs 1-4 Mode is for and why someone would want to use it? 

7. In the same Hardware Button Modifications section of the Button page in the software, there is section labeled ALPS Decoding. Again the software, give a very confusing high level outlined of this section, but provides no practical explanation of what the ALPS Decoding section does or any use case for it. Can you provide a more clarity? What does the ALPS Decoding do and why would I want to use this section?

8. In  the bottom of the Hardware Button modification section, there is are functions labeled 8 way POV> 4 way POV:   Special Buttons count:    Encoder delay timer. Again, in the instructions there are very high level brief descriptions of each of these, but no explanation of how to use or why someone would want to use them. This is the theme throughout the Virpil Software Instructions. The only people who would understand your software instructions are people who don't need any instructions. Virpil really needs to create new software instruction manual with step by step instructions for how to use each function in the software. It would be evern better if Virpil put out a series of youtube videos with step by step demos showing how to use every function of the Virpil software, along with use cases for each  software function and recommended settings for each of your flight controls. 

9. My Virpil throttle came set up with the 6 momentary buttons and the 5-positon dial not connected to one another. So by default my throttle had the 6 button presses in DCS for the 6 physical buttons and 5 virtual button presses in DCS for each position on the 5-positon dial. I knew there was a way to set up the 5-position dial to be a modifier for the 6 buttons, so you end up with 30 buttons in DCS (6 buttons X 5 positions on the dial), but my throttle didn't arrive set up this way. the Virpil Software instructions briefly mentions the Buttons as Shift feature (modifier), but the software instructions provide zero explanation of how to configure a dial, switch, or buttons as a shift modifier for other buttons. I had to watch 3rd party Youtube videos to learn how to do this. I think most people want the dial to serve as a modifier for the 6 buttons, which turns them into 30 unique button presses. I would suggest configuring your throttles this way by default. It's easier to undo then it is to set up the dial as a modifier. 

Also, the 2-way metal switches and the 2-way plastic red switches on my throttle came with only 1-way mapped to a Windows button press. The 2nd position for all the switches was assigned a physical button number in the Virpil software, but they weren't assigned any virtual button press output and there were no instructions for how to do this. I eventually figured it out, but this is definitely something that should be explained in your instructions. Actually, 2-way switches should come shipped with both positions mapped to a button press output.

Now that I've assigned button press outputs for both ways on the 2-way switches, they will generate unique button press numbers in DCS when I flip the switches up and when I switch them back down. Without this added, whenever you flip a switch up he mapped control will turn on  in the aircraft, but when you flip the same switch down, nothing will happen in the DCS aircraft and the only way to turn that aircraft control off is to flip the same switch back up, which will cycle the control off. Then flipping the switch down will do nothing. By adding a button press to both positions on a 2-way switch, the switch will function as a toggle switch in the aircraft, which is what most people map 2-way switches to. 

Play around with the curves in software , I've had mine at x6 . normal curve but I have older setups . 

Leave DCS curves at 0 and see what results you get using software . 

its all i can suggest .  

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

@CrashAlotsetting the encoder to delay to 140ms makes the encoder 'more aggressive...essentialy each click of the encoder results in the keypress being held down longer. Of course it would be nice if the encoder could be an axis. And an axis with 'acceleration' like mice....spin it fast-move a lot, spin it slow-get high resolution.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

5 hours ago, skypickle said:

Of course it would be nice if the encoder could be an axis. 

The encoder can be an axis. Look at button-to-axis in VPC software. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

@imacken The encoder is about the ONLY button that cannot be an axis. because of the way it works, ( sending two physical button clicks with each click - the order of which determines which logical button is sent to windows) any attempt to create a virtual axis from an encoder creates a ‘schizophrenic’ behavior. You can see this in joy tester when you turn the encoder after assigning it to a virtual axis.it’s tracing is sawtooth. You even alluded to that in your post above. Yeah, zoom needs to be a real axis. Even using the encoder with the longest delay setting, 140 ms, helps but it is still weak and stuttery. 

I think the firmware needs to be rewritten to allow encoder dials to act like real axes.

Edited by skypickle

41 minutes ago, skypickle said:

@imacken The encoder is about the ONLY button that cannot be an axis. because of the way it works, ( sending two physical button clicks with each click - the order of which determines which logical button is sent to windows) any attempt to create a virtual axis from an encoder creates a ‘schizophrenic’ behavior. You can see this in joy tester when you turn the encoder after assigning it to a virtual axis.it’s tracing is sawtooth. You even alluded to that in your post above. Yeah, zoom needs to be a real axis. Even using the encoder with the longest delay setting, 140 ms, helps but it is still weak and stuttery. 

I think the firmware needs to be rewritten to allow encoder dials to act like real axes.

Sorry, but you are just not correct in what you say.  I use the encoders perfectly well as axes.  They do not produce 2 button clicks in Joytester.  If I turn it only in one direction, only 1 button is activated on and off.  Anyway, button presses are irrelevant when you are using them as axes.

With the firmware I am using and the Virtual Axis setup as per the attached, I get 0 - 100% on the axis in one revolution of the encoder.  I use this for things like HUD brightness and HMD brightness in the Hornet as examples. as per attached.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Attached please find my virpil config. Since I am using a newer firmware, it looks a little different. My maximum step value is 255 but I was using 16. I also had buttons 2 and 3 in the opposite locations to yours. Now reconfigured it works, although not as smoothly as using the flaps lever- I get discrete jumps but useful. I dont know why it was spazzing out before-as if it was registeringthe physical buttons instead of the logical ones.

Screenshot 2022-01-09 123620.jpg

Sorry, but you are using older firmware. I advise updating to the latest RC version as posted by NVV on the Virpil forums. 
Virpil naming convention is YYYYMMDD, so mine is 1 December 2021, and yours is 2 January 2021. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, noob question here. I installed the newest version of the software, but when I go to create a profile-- the process starts, goes to the calibration screen, but then the top left tile flashes from the green "ready" to red "N/A" then boots me back to the main screen. Also, FWIW, there isn't a "Buttons" or "LED" tile on the left hand main page pane.

Pretty frustrating, but has anyone had this issue?

What version are you running?

Post an image of the profile page.

@imacken... from where are you have the firmware 01 December 2021? All what I can see on the Virpil download page is the firmware 02 Januray 2021. thx

edit: found it in the forum... as you wrote... I hadn`t read it. tx

Edited by jerzem

• 1 month later...
En 9/1/2022 a las 14:10, imacken dijo:

Sorry, but you are just not correct in what you say.  I use the encoders perfectly well as axes.  They do not produce 2 button clicks in Joytester.  If I turn it only in one direction, only 1 button is activated on and off.  Anyway, button presses are irrelevant when you are using them as axes.

With the firmware I am using and the Virtual Axis setup as per the attached, I get 0 - 100% on the axis in one revolution of the encoder.  I use this for things like HUD brightness and HMD brightness in the Hornet as examples. as per attached.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

Hello, I am trying to use the "button to axis" for the harrier nozzle using the left throttle dial. I configure everything as you have it, but the nozzle does not move as it should. 0-100% in 1 click

I think I'm doing something wrong. You have it configured for the harrier's nozzle, in that case, could you tell me how you have it configured?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by lt_d4n

Not totally sure, but I think it's because you have not set a reset button.  If you look at my graphic, it is set to 70.  (Which is a dummy button.)

hace 1 hora, imacken dijo:

Not totally sure, but I think it's because you have not set a reset button.  If you look at my graphic, it is set to 70.  (Which is a dummy button.)

Well, it was that!
And the last doubt, I want to put the right throttle dial for the antenna elevation but it moves very slowly. If I do it as a button to axis, the radar zoom increases or decreases non-stop. Do you have to configure something different? Or is there another better way for that use of radar elevation?

thanks!

Edited by lt_d4n

Well, I wouldn't use that for radar elevation, but I did try it out.  Yes, one click - as button to axis - sends it moving constantly. However, it worked OK for me by just doing one click of the dial to make it move, then one click in the opposite direction to stop it.

• 1 month later...

You just select the other type. Not at my PC and can’t remember what it’s called!

10 hours ago, imacken said:

You just select the other type. Not at my PC and can’t remember what it’s called!

Nice got it I was able to use P8(Slider) and S1 (Slider) to setup virtual axis for the encoders on the throttle sticks. Axis slot P7 was setup as my Torq rudder pedals.

Edited by haaaake

image.png

Using latest version 20220304.

Is it possible to set the virtual detent high setting to greater than 20000 (this is the maximum that the field will accept). It needs to be about 48000 which equates to 80% throttle.

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

If you’re looking to configure the detents on the CM3, you don’t need virtual any more with the new software. Here is a guide I have posted over in the Virpil forums - more than once!

Virpil Throttle Detent Setup
1)    Idle detent.
a.    The new versions of VPC software have a new way of defining the detents with buttons for off/idle.  We will just concentrate on the idle detent, as DCS does not have buttons for activating the afterburners.
b.    To configure the idle detent, it is necessary to do several steps.
c.    Firstly, in the axis settings page, change the calibration to ‘Both Detents’.
d.    Place the stick in the off position – fully aft - and input the raw value in the ‘Axis begin’ box by double clicking. The value will be entered automatically.  Also, enter ‘0’ in the ‘output %’ box, then
e.    Place the stick in the idle position (just past the 1st detent) and input the raw value into the ‘Detent #1’ by the same method above.  Also input ‘0’ - yes, 0 again! - in the ‘output %’ field.  I also recommend a ‘Deadzone %’ of 5 for Detent #1 to compensate for the handle movement when going past the physical detent.
f.    Do ‘Axis end’ and ‘Detent #2’ in the same way. (See below for ‘Detent #2 advice.)
g.    Then, you have to define the idle off virtual button. (This is also done in a new way to before.)  Firstly, note the ‘Axis begin’ and ‘Detent #1’ raw values, 29423 and 29905 in my case.
h.    Do this for both axes (inputting the appropriate values for each!).
i.    Go to the Axis page in VPC software, and look at the ‘Axis to button’ section.
j.    Select your axis – 1 for rX and 2 for rY, in my case – and then under ‘Type’ select ‘hardware’. Then enter the ‘Range from’ and ‘Range to’ values so that your raw values between the off and 1st detent are included. For the above values, I would input 29400 and 29800 to allow for a margin of error.
k.    REMEMBER TO ‘SAVE VPC DEVICE’ for any of these changes to take effect!
l.    If you then go to the Button page in VPC Configurator, you can see what physical button the software has allocated your 2 new buttons to, and then give them logical buttons that you can then bind to for off/idle in DCS. (Each module has slightly different naming and binds for this, but it works well for all for me, but you do have to make the correct choices for the binding in DCS.)
2)    Afterburner detent.
a.    The purpose of setting this a value in Detent #2 in VPC Configurator is twofold. Firstly, to correct the discrepancies in the throttle outputs when they are not bound together by the axis lock lever, and secondly, to coordinate the afterburner kick in spot in DCS.
b.    Looking at each one in turn, firstly, if an output value for the position at the second detent is not set, you will see that the 2 axes have different output values throughout the throw, but easy to see when both are at the 2nd detent.  (In my case, the left is 67% and the right is 70%).  This discrepancy can cause issues in-game with the imbalance. It is adjusted to the lower of the two when the axes are hardware linked, but still, this is a better solution.  When you set a – same for both axes - value for the 2nd detent in VPC software that issue disappears.  This is done by inputting the desired value into the ‘Detent#2 Input’ and ‘Output %’ boxes of the axis setting tab in VPC Configurator.  (You put the stick at the 2nd detent and double click in the input box. The raw value at that point will automatically be filled in.  Also, put in the required output %age in the appropriate box. In the above example, 67% would probably be the optimal value, but see next step.)
c.    Secondly, syncing with DCS for the afterburner kick-in point.  In my experience, leaving this at default means that the axes are not sufficiently advanced in DCS to fire the afterburner at the original output level when just going past the 2nd detent. (In my case it is 67% with both axes linked.)  So, in order to fix this, it is necessary to find what your output level is to match that required by DCS to fire the ABs.  This is largely trial and error, and in my case it is 74%.  This works well for Hornet, Viper, F-5E, Viggen, etc. The only one that still had a slight delay was the Mirage, but I was OK with that.  When you get the correct value for the output level input to VPC Configurator, the afterburners kick in just past the 2nd detent, and it feels much better.
d.    Now, the other thing you have to do, is adjust the planes that don’t have afterburners, e.g. Harrier, A-10C, warbirds, etc., to allow to you have the full travel between detents, rather than having to go past the 2nd detent to get full throttle.  You do this by adjusting the ‘Saturation X’ in Axis Tune for each module affected to the value you set above, in my case 74%.

I hope you find it useful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5