[Review] Thrustmaster TPR Pedals

Jabbers_

if you want i've designed a part (3d prinable) to shut down the spring recall in few seconds, and get it back as quick...

Is it something you can stick on shapeways?

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

How. Does it work as a huey pedals? I’m thinking of buying them, and the maxflight huey collective and use the tm warthog stick with two tall extensions and stock spring and put the. Puma in my Motorhome for extended trips.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Can you talk about how they work with together with Warthog through TARGET Script Editor?

I found that you can't use pedals, brakes (Left and Right), Throttles(Left and Right), JoySick(X and Y axis), MiniStick(rX and rY axis), and Throttle Friction Lever (Slider axis).

That adds up to 10 axis and windows DirectX only allows 8. If you use all the available axis on the Warthog (Stick and Throttle), your already at 7.

I've tried to exclude the TPR in TARGET, but it will only exclude it from the combined virtual controller. TARGET still captures it and makes it unmappable in game.

So far you can't run a TARGET and have available all the axis on the combined controller.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Can you talk about how they work with together with Warthog through TARGET Script Editor?

I found that you can't use pedals, brakes (Left and Right), Throttles(Left and Right), JoySick(X and Y axis), MiniStick(rX and rY axis), and Throttle Friction Lever (Slider axis).

That adds up to 10 axis and windows DirectX only allows 8. If you use all the available axis on the Warthog (Stick and Throttle), your already at 7.

I've tried to exclude the TPR in TARGET, but it will only exclude it from the combined virtual controller. TARGET still captures it and makes it unmappable in game.

So far you can't run a TARGET and have available all the axis on the combined controller.

I dont use TARGET, I really dislike that app.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

How. Does it work as a huey pedals? I’m thinking of buying them, and the maxflight huey collective and use the tm warthog stick with two tall extensions and stock spring and put the. Puma in my Motorhome for extended trips.

Im not a big helicopter sim fan, so not entirely sure what you would look for in pedals as I don't know how they should typically feel. Maybe if you can ask some questions about how you would expect or what you would want I can answer. Someone asked me prior to the review to ask how it worked with the springs removed and I did answer that in the review, they do return to center without the springs just from gravity, but without the springs they offer very subtle resistance for that same reason (basically the resistance is the weight of the pedals wanting to return to center due to gravity). Maybe that helps, if not, let me know.

Im not a big helicopter sim fan, so not entirely sure what you would look for in pedals as I don't know how they should typically feel. Maybe if you can ask some questions about how you would expect or what you would want I can answer. Someone asked me prior to the review to ask how it worked with the springs removed and I did answer that in the review, they do return to center without the springs just from gravity, but without the springs they offer very subtle resistance for that same reason (basically the resistance is the weight of the pedals wanting to return to center due to gravity). Maybe that helps, if not, let me know.

I took the springs off and it returns back to zero on its own. You might have to widen the center dead space a bit to account for sensitivity.

I'm no good at helos but I can see where you might want it free flowing. If that makes sense.

You could use one foot if you wanted to. It's a light touch

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Thanks for the review.

I see you also have a pair of MFGs. How would you summarise the differences?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thanks for the review.

I see you also have a pair of MFGs. How would you summarise the differences?

MFGs are not a foot on the floor design. Since they are not pendular they rotate around a center axis and like all center axis pedals turn inward at the extents (this isnt a big deal, but a difference none-the-less). Since they are not foot on the floor, what I do not like is leaving my feet on them all the time, because there is no feedback if you are pressing left or right slightly, which could cause unwanted yaw during flight. They are great pedals, and a great option if you don't want to dish out $500 for the TM TPR Pedals, I've had mine for 2 years and do not regret the purchase in the slightest. I personally prefer the foot on the floor design though. I will say that the price of the MFGs is slightly deceiving since you have to pay for shipping. I paid $392 for the pedals and a TM Warthog extension, without looking im guessing the extension was ~$40, so still around $350 shipped.

Another review - this time written.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/thrustmaster-tpr-is-the-king-of-mass-market-flight-sim-pedals/

An nice review in the good old style, including using screwdriver's and showing internals - no much to see there.

Author reference is Slaw "Friedrich" and RX Viper pedals.

For the first time is pointed why TPR used the "pincer" center system - because is an more friendly system for 'Average Joe Simmer" set their preferences- as all the "replacing CAM dramas" around forums was showed, and so less tech support is need. :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

• 3 weeks later...

Is this a limitation only when using the Target software? You can use all the axis otherwise, right?

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

If you don't use TARGET at all, then the Joystick, Throttle, and Pedals, show up as individual controllers. You can use them as such.

Without TARGET, I loose a great deal of functionality I have grown to appreciate.

I've never tried to use the TARGET GUI, but it still combines the three controllers into one virtual controller, witch will be considered by Windows as a single controller and restrict the number of axis.

So if you are interested in using TARGET Script Editor with all three, look at this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218932

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Thanks for the clarification. I don’t use Target so I’m good.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

• 2 weeks later...

Found this thread while troubleshooting this myself. I figured it out, but just finally got my account authorized to post.

At any rate the syntax you need to have the pedals show up as a separate device to windows are below. (Use one or the other, not both).

Filtered still lets you still do configuration through TARGET, yet the pedals show as a separate device in windows. Excluded is just presenting the pedals straight to windows "raw". Filtered seems to be the best of both worlds.

Configure(&TFRPRudder, MODE_EXCLUDED);
Configure(&TFRPRudder, MODE_FILTERED);

• 1 month later...

Not sure how you programmed but I did mine in the GUI (advanced) and left the rudders out and everything was fine, no conflicts, and TARGET didn't affect anything, I have one virtual controller with stick and throttle and the pedals separate. Maybe an update in the software since you tried it?