Complete Air to Air Refuelling Tutorial - DCS Fuel School - F/A-18C

104th_Maverick

I've been getting lots of questions about AAR and also noticed lots of people struggling to complete the procedure so I thought I would redo my AAR video with a more in depth look at how to refuel in the Hornet.

This is the first episode in our new series 'Fuel School' where we will teach you how to refuel all aircraft that can do so in the game!

This tutorial covers:

• Building a Refuel Training Mission in the Editor,
  • Narrated walk through on how to connect to the tanker,
  • Mistakes and Misconceptions about Refuelling,
  • Helpful Visual Alignments,

• Lesson Summary.

Any questions please feel free to shout out.

Mav

:thumbup:

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

I could've used these tips on how to approach the basket, back in high school with my first girlfriend ... :megalol:

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks Mav,

Fantastic tutorial and well explained mate. Has already improved my AAR technique and success.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Make sure you are not in A2A or A2G master mode, you should be in NAV mode when connecting to the tanker.

A number of people have been asking me about the pitch ladder and what you line it up with, remember guys we are not interested in the pitch ladder any more.

Our main visual reference point in the refuelling pod under the tankers wing, we want to be lined up directly behind that but we are not using anything else to line it up with (the HUD for example).

Using the techniques shown in the video you should easily be able to refuel with the HUD completely off :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome video as usual. :)

You just made me realised i'm a laysy person, instead of spoting 2-3 diferent references spot on each tankers, i simply align the refueling pod to my HUD's center scale line then i slightly offset a little left of it since the probe is right of the canopy which also alows a peripheral vision of the basket for small adjustment if needed, which makes it easier for any aircraft as i get a pod always the same spot since all of them have a pod or a boom you can center, versus, a logo that can differ from many user made liveries, or a hook which is on one aircraft or the other, or when we ever get a super hornet tanker, as per height, i simply realised the probe extended at average refueling speed, can vary a bit, but is mostly at the same level as the flight path marker, so it'll be simply where you flight at, again, i just like making my life easier since i am laysy ... :helpsmilie: if i start aiming too many references i gets moving all over the planet. :( Too many references spots makes me break my concentration so i use one i found good and use my peripheral vision for close in adjustment, good thing i am not a real pilot. :)

Edited by Doum76

Awright muckers.

Was going to open a new thread, but thought this one was appropriate.

A2A refuelling has been no problem for me, until I started doing missions from cold and dark ramp start.

With ramp hot start, the radio comms work with no issue, I can use the old comm menu button and the tanker answers on initial contact, I can use comm1 shortcut and it works too, freq goes to 251 by default, AM...no problems.

With cold and dark, I am using the cheat start up until I get time to learn each step manually. But with this start state, I can not get any answer from the tanker with first contact. So either this is a bug, or I suspect cold and dark is not setting something in the radio like a hot start does.

With cold and dark, I use comm 1, either with M mode and input 251, which the radio accepts, contact tanker with comm 1 shortcut or general comm menu and no answer, tried everything possible but I can't get an answer, using the preset freq 251 (preset 18 I think) doesn't work, trying another frequency doesn't work.

Something obvious, read the manual, or a bug? Thanks for any help.

With cold and dark, I use comm 1, either with M mode and input 251, which the radio accepts, contact tanker with comm 1 shortcut or general comm menu and no answer, tried everything possible but I can't get an answer, using the preset freq 251 (preset 18 I think) doesn't work, trying another frequency doesn't work.

Something obvious, read the manual, or a bug? Thanks for any help.

Have you bound the two separate comm channels? I think comm 1 is right shift \. Check in the key binds under HOTAS. There could be issues with the quick start? Don't use it myself. I would learn the startup, it's very quick if you cancel out all the checks.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Just what I need! Awesome tutorial matey. Now just need to go & practice, practice, practice

ALienware aurora R7, Windows 10 home 64 bit, i7-8700, RTX2080ti, 32 GB Ram, 2TB SATA hard drive, 250 GB M2 SSD, 500GB SATA SSD, Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster tpr pedals, jet seat, BenQ SW2500PT, Oculus rift S

Nice video very clear, don't look at the basket .

In reality you don't turn the radar off until you are closing visually ( less than 1000yds, it's no problem until you are within 200yds or less ). It makes the rejoin a lot easier as it gives you all the information you need about the tanker. While you can talk to the tanker in some circumstances often it's silent and you don't know exactly where the track ends.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Just remember to keep breathing ;)

Its very easy to mildly panic once you make connection. Just keep looking straight forward and drive the aircraft in closer to the tanker a little.

If you start looking around all over the place you will get out of shape very quickly.

Keep your focus forward at all times, if you can stay stable enough to actually connect to the basket you can stay stable enough to stay connected.

Keep looking at the refuel pod under the tanker wing and drive forward until you see your visual cue on the left or right side of the tanker.

The real secret is practice, just keep going up my friend and it will come!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome video Maverick, as always! :thumbup: If not for your video on AAR in the Harrier, I'd still be banging my head against the canopy bow trying to get it done. :wallbash:

I just have one comment for your benefit. The "Air Force logo" you refer to on the side of the KC-130's fuselage is just a national insignia for all US military planes, much like the roundel on UK aircraft. Besides, the KC-130 in this simmulation belongs to the Marines. But this is the ONLY thing that I have ever heard you say that might be considered inaccurate throughout all of the outstanding videos of yours that I have watched and learned a great deal from. I know, I know, never end a sentence with a preposition!! :doh: Please keep cranking these out Maverick as I am still trying to figure out how to get fuel while in a Mirage. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]