Field Landing Pattern

Doum76

Nice ship Break.

The land one in DCS is tricky cos DCS adds a load of shear to the wind, way more than is normal IRL, That's why your drift angle on final needs constant adjustment, makes strong crosswinds harder than it should be.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Yeah if only i knew how it behaves in Real Life that would helped me quite a bit to deal with it maybe. Only things i flew in real life was big R/C Helicopters and ended up to anticipate the behavior when downind and when upwind but in DCS landing with that wind and turbulence was tricky, took me quite a while to gauge it and learn that i had to come in higher than lower as i crossed the sea/land edge, as i ended up being pushed up as i crossed the land, so coming in higher avoided the baloon up effect needeing to drop a lot after for the threshold.

In reality the amount of shear in DCS is quite unusual and while the turbulence can feel about right the automatic doubling of the wind at 1500ft is not especially when the wind is strong 35kts at 1000ft to 25kts on the ground would be more appropriate.

So normally your drift angle will be much more stable from 500ft to the ground which make it easier to set the aircraft drift and land on the threshold.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

In reality the amount of shear in DCS is quite unusual and while the turbulence can feel about right the automatic doubling of the wind at 1500ft is not especially when the wind is strong 35kts at 1000ft to 25kts on the ground would be more appropriate.

So normally your drift angle will be much more stable from 500ft to the ground which make it easier to set the aircraft drift and land on the threshold.

Thanks for the head's up. Then i quit DCS and gonna shop myself a real Hornet on Amazone if it,S easier :P Thanks again. But yeah it seemed way much more tricky on my side than the video i've found from Australian Hornet's landing at a really windy Airshow. Looking at the trees and the Hornet it seems windy as hell, but he lands it like there's nothing there, steady as hell. Impressive, and that's the video that gave me the idea to try a windy landing.

You got that right. Went to do some 25kt crosswinds landings in the harrier. 50kt crosswinds on approach. "Attention passengers if you go ahead and look out your right side windows you will see our glorious runway.":lol:

• 2 years later...

I have several questions:

When standard airfield overhead break (not the carrier break) is performed (let's say at 1500 ft) should the pilot descend to 600 ft (or some other altitude) on downwind like in carrier break or remain at 1500 ft until the base leg?

What break interval is used for formations when performing overhead break at airfield (is it different for standard overhead break and carrier break)?

Are carrier breaks also performed on uncontrolled airfields?

5 hours ago, Cat107 said:

I have several questions:

When standard airfield overhead break (not the carrier break) is performed (let's say at 1500 ft) should the pilot descend to 600 ft (or some other altitude) on downwind like in carrier break or remain at 1500 ft until the base leg?

What break interval is used for formations when performing overhead break at airfield (is it different for standard overhead break and carrier break)?

Are carrier breaks also performed on uncontrolled airfields?

RAAF 1987 FA18A Clean +2XAIM9 :

On Initial 400K-450K, 1500ft, Formation 4 sec interval on the break. Maintain 1500 Ft.

Downwind with Sidewinder rail on the runway

Reconfig Gear Full flap 85%N2. VV 0 On speed

Base turn when Piano keys can be seen as a diagonal. -7 on the VV, 30deg AOB 80%N2 On speed

Transition to 3 deg FP on short final 82% N2 On speed

For touch and go:

Mil pwr

After Take off Gear up Flaps Auto

Crosswind @ 400' 200Kts 85%N2 VV +5, 30-35 deg AOB

Downwind 200K Flaps Auto 1500' VV 0, 79% N2

Runway Cl tracking down the sidewinder rail

Then as per above from reconfig

Edited by IvanK
  • Thanks 2

Graphically the RAAF Circuit looked like this:

RAAF-F18-CCT-1987.jpg

Downwind spacing achieved by tracking the Aim9 Rail down the runway centreline

Base turn point was judged by looking down the diagonal of the Runway threshold markings "Piano keys"

After rolling out on final the VV was moved from the threshold to the 500ft markers thus transitioning from -7 deg flight path around base to a 3 degree flight path to touchdowm. This required about 2 % increase in N2.

Seems the DCS FA18C needs about 2%N2 above all the numbers shown here.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2018 at 9:02 PM, Doum76 said:

Thanks for the head's up. Then i quit DCS and gonna shop myself a real Hornet on Amazone if it,S easier 😛 Thanks again. But yeah it seemed way much more tricky on my side than the video i've found from Australian Hornet's landing at a really windy Airshow. Looking at the trees and the Hornet it seems windy as hell, but he lands it like there's nothing there, steady as hell. Impressive, and that's the video that gave me the idea to try a windy landing.

I think I see stick hard right on their roll-outs

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |