Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

It just keeps reaching higher and higher levels of excellence! I also really wanted to thank you for the input on the programming aspect of it, that helps a lot to wrap my head around it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

cheers mate! It has felt like a long time but thanks to not having any major setbacks or obsessing too much on the finer details I've maintained the momentum to keep pushing forward.

It'll be a shame when that keyboard dies, I like the G19. You can see my old BMS keyboard profile on the screen back before I discovered DCS and VR :)

Thanks again for the details of the construction!

Unbelievable how fast you brought almost a whole instrument set into life:

Designing, printing, putting electronics in, ...

Just jaw-dropping!

Your're on final: A big thumbs up, mate! :thumbup:

Btw.: G19... Nice keyboard :D

Thanks Nanne and very much happy to help where I can. :)

cheers

John

It just keeps reaching higher and higher levels of excellence! I also really wanted to thank you for the input on the programming aspect of it, that helps a lot to wrap my head around it.

It'll be a shame when that keyboard dies, I like the G19. You can see my old BMS keyboard profile on the screen back before I discovered DCS and VR :)

My G19 is a successor of a died G15. Loving a keyboard with a screen, this choice was unevitable. ;)

I'm still with F4 - and dumping buddies and experience from the last 19 years is not an option.

In fact, with DCS I was able to double my fun with flight sims. Classical win-win. :)

Edited by RightStuff

Thanks mate! I'm just now coming out of a 6 month build frenzy, taking 2 weeks break before getting back into it.

Wow, amazing work! You have given my 3D printer purpose in life!

The amount of work you're putting into this and the updates are greatly appreciated!

wow

Man ! This is looking so good !! Greeting from Canada ! Can I see the interior of a slave to see how they connect together ? I will start to built one !

Do you think of releasing the STL ? If not it's ok I will draw it. :thumbup:

Tanks mate !

Alienware Aurora R8 I7 9700K WC, GeForce 1080 Ti 11Gig, Occulus Rift

Thanks Chouclak, hello from down-under! I have a picture of it about a third of the way through this thread. If you can wait I'll upload detailed diagrams. STL's will come later.

cheers

John

Man ! This is looking so good !! Greeting from Canada ! Can I see the interior of a slave to see how they connect together ? I will start to built one !

Do you think of releasing the STL ? If not it's ok I will draw it. :thumbup:

Tanks mate !

Amazing work and fantastic thread! I especially appreciate the quality photos (and plenty of them) that you post. Well lit, well composed, and they really do a great job of showcasing your excellent work!

I have a few questions regarding threading 3D printed parts.

In general how do you find the quality of threading into printed material?

On parts that you frequently remove and re-assemble, are the threads holding up?

What size/type of screws do you use?

Does your software allow you to change the infill % around the holes for stronger threads?... would this help?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. We’re looking at 3D printers at work, and have some concerns regarding the thread quality.

Thanks again for you excellent service to the community! :thumbup:

John,

I take it bus 1 is left console, bus 2 will be main panel and bus 3 the right console?

Does each individual panel require a Nano? If I was to build the gear panel and the flaps / jettison panel I would need 2 Nanos?

Mark

John,

I take it bus 1 is left console, bus 2 will be main panel and bus 3 the right console?

Does each individual panel require a Nano? If I was to build the gear panel and the flaps / jettison panel I would need 2 Nanos?

Mark

yes, x2, how many switch can handle a nano an the max487 kit ?

Cheers!!

Amazing work and fantastic thread! I especially appreciate the quality photos (and plenty of them) that you post. Well lit, well composed, and they really do a great job of showcasing your excellent work!

I have a few questions regarding threading 3D printed parts.

In general how do you find the quality of threading into printed material?

If the threads are wide enough, it holds up well. If they're smaller than say M5 I'd use a nut, the nut can be embedded within the print job by pausing the print. Self tapers are very good and always hold well, even after repeated use. A 3D printed screw on the other hand is weak between the layers. I get around this by printing my screws in PCABS. Also acetone can be painted on that will fuse the layers together.

On parts that you frequently remove and re-assemble, are the threads holding up?

For self tapers, yes they do.

What size/type of screws do you use?

Mainly M3 and these https://www.jaycar.com.au/no-6-x-15mm-speaker-wood-screws-pk-20/p/HP0620

Does your software allow you to change the infill % around the holes for stronger threads?... would this help?

It doesn't but it has always provided enough plastic to provide a strong thread for the taper to bite into. Large standard threads are good too, but as I said anything below M5 I'd use a nut.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. We’re looking at 3D printers at work, and have some concerns regarding the thread quality.

All good, if there's anything you want clarified, ask away!

Thanks again for you excellent service to the community! :thumbup:

Hi McG,

I have a left and right master arranged as follows.

Left BUS 1: Left Side Console, 7 slaves

Left BUS 2: Left Upright Console, 4 slaves +12V used to drive fans

Right BUS 1: Right Side Console, 4 slaves

Right BUS 2: Right Upright Console, 3 slaves +12V used to drive the fan

Noise on the +12V line means the uprights get their own bus. Without the fans I could easily run the entire left side and the right upright on a single bus.

Yes each slave is driven by a single Nano, they are cheap on eBay.

Each box has it's own Nano so yes the Gear Box and Jett/Flap box will need their own Nano.

cheers

John

John,

Mark

Hi,

I've put together this diagram to show how my Jettison/Flap/Launch Bar/Landing Lights slave is built.

J62vvTv.png

DcsBios::Switch2Pos selJettBtn("SEL_JETT_BTN", 14);

const byte selJettKnobPins[5] = {8, 9, 10, 11, 12};
DcsBios::SwitchMultiPos selJettKnob("SEL_JETT_KNOB", selJettKnobPins, 5);

DcsBios::Switch3Pos flapSw("FLAP_SW", 5, 6);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos antiSkidSw("ANTI_SKID_SW", 4);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos launchBarSw("LAUNCH_BAR_SW", 7, true);
DcsBios::Switch2Pos ldgTaxiSw("LDG_TAXI_SW", 3);

cheers

John

Edited by Blue73

Hi,

I've put together this diagram to show how my Jettison/Flap/Launch Bar/Landing Lights slave is built.

J62vvTv.png

John

John, looking at your picture your "bus tranciever" to the max chip is that something you have custom built or is that a pcb that is readily available somewhere. I love this idea and for the price of nanos it is an amazing solution.

This is making me want to dive in head first in to the deep deep world of dcs bios even more

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hi Gotwake, DCS-BIOS is very easy to use, I highly recommend.

That's my design, I've got a track drill hole template I've made that overlays onto vero-board. Can knock one of those out in 20mins. It took me a few iterations but now it's easy to make and work with. I probably should have had them mass made but I've been tweaking the design ever since making the first one.

cheers

John

John, looking at your picture your "bus tranciever" to the max chip is that something you have custom built or is that a pcb that is readily available somewhere. I love this idea and for the price of nanos it is an amazing solution.

This is making me want to dive in head first in to the deep deep world of dcs bios even more

Hi Gotwake, DCS-BIOS is very easy to use, I highly recommend.

That's my design, I've got a track drill hole template I've made that overlays onto vero-board. Can knock one of those out in 20mins. It took me a few iterations but now it's easy to make and work with. I probably should have had them mass made but I've been tweaking the design ever since making the first one.

cheers

John

John, if you ever do decide to get them mass made, count me in for at least a handful. Name the price and I'll gladly pay.

master

Hi,

John

Your diagram is easy too read like that ! thanks !!

Can we see the diagram of the master because I'm following the one of simpit http://mysimpit.co.uk/front-dash/

and he doesn't wiring the same way between the slave.

Thanks !

No problems Chouclak :)

I can't open that page but the master wiring is identical except for tx/rx, they go to the comm1 pins.

cheers

John

Your diagram is easy too read like that ! thanks !!

Can we see the diagram of the master because I'm following the one of simpit http://mysimpit.co.uk/front-dash/

and he doesn't wiring the same way between the slave.

Thanks !

Happy to help McG.

Yes flaps are on-off-on the rest off-on but they also have 3 pins.

John,

Thanks for posting up the detailed wiring diagrams.

Is your flaps switch an ON-OFF-ON or ON-ON-ON toggle?

I’m assuming the others are just standard ON-OFF toggles?

Hi Gotwake, about to go on vacation, I'll look into this when I return.

cheers

John

John, if you ever do decide to get them mass made, count me in for at least a handful. Name the price and I'll gladly pay.