Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

Ok, i'm receiving my 3d printer today.

Bought (among other things) mainly because of this thread!

Simply amazing and inspiring! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'll try to design some parts but for sure i haven't your craftmanship.

Probably i'll ask you some advices :music_whistling:

Congrats on the 3D Printer!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great move Jester! Grab F360 and start designing. Factor your printer's strengths and weaknesses (material and machine) into your designs. Learn your printer's tolerances.

Good Luck!!

cheers

John

What sort of specs should I be looking for in a 3D printer ?

It would be for my own use to make flight hardware and the use of my girlfriend who is a jewellery maker\designer

How about software ? I was quite OK with Solidworks a few years ago and like the parametric way of doing things in 3D

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

This is very difficult to answer as different printers have different properties. 3D printers are like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you don't mind spending more time on the machine go cheap, if you want it to work out of the box and keep working for a couple of years with minimal maintenance, buy a Zortrax. I've only owned two printers so I'm not the best person to advise.

Sorry, for jewellery have no idea. This will probably be getting into the special filament category in which case I'd be looking at printers that can handle a wide variety of materials. Maybe a Prusa?

For software, Fusion 360 all the way. It's free (startup license) and parametric.

cheers

John

What sort of specs should I be looking for in a 3D printer ?

It would be for my own use to make flight hardware and the use of my girlfriend who is a jewellery maker\designer

How about software ? I was quite OK with Solidworks a few years ago and like the parametric way of doing things in 3D

For the frame that will hold each front module I've built a standard 100mm cubed box that forms a truss. It is printed in 4 pieces then glued together. Each box is attached to it's neighbour with M3 screws/nuts.

As this is a modular front panel, other aircraft modules can be swapped in. Though I'll just 3D print an F-16 variant later this year.

Here my box prototype.

es7em5y.jpg

My standard through DSUB bus connectors are carried through with this design. Note there will only be two connectors per module not all will have them as shown here.

2cjHWOk.png

When bolted together it is lightweight and very rigid, perfect for holding these modules.

bd6NBjk.jpg

Edited by Blue73

Sorry if it's been mentioned, i can't find anything about how you have painted the text.

I think it looks like the text is raised, do you just do a bit of a touch up or something like a decal or sticker?

Hi, The text has been raised 0.4mm then I've brush painted on white. Very easy to do with decent results.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, i can't find anything about how you have painted the text.

I think it looks like the text is raised, do you just do a bit of a touch up or something like a decal or sticker?

Say an individual wanted to bolt the modules onto some hardboard or ply. I take it there's a standard bolt pattern?

Hi, Yes you could, there's a repeating "5 side-of-dice" pattern across the face 100mm apart.

cheers

John

Outstanding work Blue73! Eagerly awaiting the release of your STL's. Just out of curiosity, have you kept track of how many rolls of filaments you have used and the number of hours of printing you expended on this project?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Wow this is a very inspirational thread! I didn't read the whole thing (yet) but I'm wondering if you ever released any STLs? If so that would be awesome, if not I'll at least draw some inspiration! I love the idea of actually bolting panels onto the throttle.

EDIT: To be clear I was referring to STLs of the underlying framework that allows the modular system to operate, not STLs for any specific box.

Edited by agathorn

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Wow this is a very inspirational thread! I didn't read the whole thing (yet) but I'm wondering if you ever released any STLs? If so that would be awesome, if not I'll at least draw some inspiration! I love the idea of actually bolting panels onto the throttle.

EDIT: To be clear I was referring to STLs of the underlying framework that allows the modular system to operate, not STLs for any specific box.

Are the STLs for the frame ready to be released? Just to start printing those while we wait for the other goodies..... amazing work John,......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC]If you are still under control you are not going fast enough[/sIGPIC]

If nothing else, it would be great to get a F360 file for the base plate of the thrustmaster throttle. I assume you have one that let you line about the screw holes.

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Seriously guys, he has said that he will likely release the stls when they are ready, he is putting an immense amount of work into this, the time and effort alone just on the initial models let alone any post print adjustments that he is making would easily push into the multiple thousands of dollars if anyone were to hire it out. Let's all show him the respect that he deserves and quit asking for him to hand it over for free.

I have watched this thread since the start of this project and envied his work because I know that my design/3d modeling abilities will never even come close to this. If he decides to release the STL files I will forever appreciate it. If he makes the choice to keep them to himself then I will respect that.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hi, Sorry I have not kept track, I've certainly gone through quite a few kilos! The hours of printing is easily in the thousands, but of course a final print wont be that long.

Outstanding work Blue73! Eagerly awaiting the release of your STL's. Just out of curiosity, have you kept track of how many rolls of filaments you have used and the number of hours of printing you expended on this project?