What Module Aircraft is your Hardest to Land ?

Igor4U

what problems do you have with the spitfire?

I can land it ok now, just saying it was the hardest one for me.

It is very touchy/sensitive.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is quite a thread, very good topic.

Although I have the Spit (just got it) I haven't had time to try to crash it yet, so I have to say the 109 and P51 tie for first for me, not for the same reason. The bounce problem on the mustang gets me; I often wreak the prop on second contact. The 109 just veers off the runway without a perfect touchdown.

Jet-wise, I have to agree with the crowd; the Mig 21 is the hardest to land right. I usually walk away, but losing sight of the ground means I land long much of the time, and they have to tow me out of the mud at the end of the runway.

Chopper vs Plane reminds me of a cartoon I saw as a kid at the SAR museum in Albuquerque.

Split screen:

Fighter pilot looks like Tom Cruise in Aviators with a flowing scarf and a girl on each arm.

Copper pilot has 3 cigarettes dangling, a cup of coffee splattering in all directions because of his shaking, dark circles under his eyes, and a will under his arm.

I don't have the Mi-8, so the Huey is my choice, just because I never can keep it from twisting during touchdown. I'm just not great with rudder peddles.

The A-10C was my easiest until I got the Viggen. Weirdly, as long as I line up and get the AFK set at the right distance, I don't even need to touch the peddles, even on the runway (good thing, they are a little twitchy). Just get the nosewheel down, reverse thrust kicks in, and it just bloody stops. I may set up a mission just to see if I can get it on a carrier deck.

Or maybe it became easier with more practice?

Dont think so. It is nothing like the original release now.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Agreed. The Ka-50 (as well as other modules) really have changed/become easier to fly over time. It's not merely increased experience.

I don't find one aircraft or helicopter harder than another; know the correct speeds to use (aircraft) or handling (helicopters) and they're all quite managable.

It's perfectly OK to fly slightly curved visual approaches in something like the MiG-21 if it aids with visibility. I land on the centerline and straight every time I do this, yet I maintain visual with the runway the entire time, too.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

You can't lock the tail wheel on the Spit — it's free-castoring all the way down the runway. Makes for some interesting take-offs to be sure since the rocket pendulum effect is present in full force. :D

The I-16 is even worse since it's the roughly the length of a shrivelled cucumber and doesn't even get the minimal lateral stability that a longer body would provide.

Hmm, ok, well it *feels* like it's locked with stick aft :p I have less problems with the I-16 wierdly, but maybe it's just the individual brakes.

Don't really have problems in the Spit anymore unless there's a crosswind, and then all bets are off.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

My hardest is the HUEY...wants to stay high, stay high, stay high, then the bottom drops out...

That's vortex ring state. Basically you are flying into your own disrupted air and the rotors aren't providing enough lift. If that happens, you gotta cyclic forward and collective down to move out of it and hope you have enough altitude left to do it. :)

Mig-21 coz of high app. speed & limited forward visibility, try some road-base landings with cross-winds & you're in for a treat.

JFYI

All props in DCS have wrong landing-models (too sensitive touch-down/friction/suspension) verified by several RL P-51 drivers & DCS users:

So I'm not putting much emphasis on them.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

F-15. I can set down the F-18, F-16, JF-17...the the 15?? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

My hardest is the HUEY...wants to stay high, stay high, stay high, then the bottom drops out...

Spend a few time with the Mi-8 (easy VOR) and the Gazelle (too twitchy), after that the Huey will be the best thing to land (IMO)

From the panes I have the P-51 is the more troublemaker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Spitfire and FW-190 Dora. All the others no problem.

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

+1. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't tried the I-16.

I-16 hands down. That thing was doing relaxed static stability before it was cool.

I found the mig21 got much easier to land once I realized that you needed to come in low and fast.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

then you need to practice touch n goes my friend! :)

actually I figured out a good way to keep from the dreaded VRS - you keep your fps on the descent to around 500fpm. If it goes higher than that (1000fpm+) and you try and counter with added engine power, thats what seems to bring on the VRS. I find its easier to set up nicely with a long smooth descent at around 500fpm. I also found that if you have enough altitude and you inc to 1000fpm (happens in the blink of an eye sometimes), just put your nose down and the fps will drop but you then have to adjust your final flare and landing point.

Re the original question, the hardest I find is the Huey as well and the Mig21, mainly due to its high speed

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Spitfire and FW-190 Dora. All the others no problem.

do you have the I-16?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Tail draggers, all of them. Not sure what it is; probably intimidating myself.

Motherboard ASUSTek TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)

Processor Intel i5 9400

Memory VENGENCE PRO RGB 32GB

Video Card # 1 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660 6GB GDDR6

Power Supply Thermaltake GOLD 850 RGB

Sound Card NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

Monitor 1. Vizio 32" 2. Samsung 32" 3. Samsung 32"

Operating System Windows 10 64 Bit build 19035.1

F-18 on carrier.

Is it the lineup and pattern work or the final and landing? "Proper" pattern work sucks for me, but I'm putting it down on pass 1 or 2.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

Every plane after touch down. They veer to left or right. I don't think it is realistic

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5