FreeTrack (free TIR like software) hell yeah!

It has been done!

FreeTrack homepage

:cheer3nc: :beer: :sorcerer:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Yes but a bit cheaper :) .

There is no real need of wires... you may use a battery on your hat or even use an arey of IR leds and the usual reflective surfaces.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

because trackir looks better lol. But seriously this is pretty cool for a cheaper alternative. But i stand by my decision on the trackir, it makes every say "oo, what's that nice thing." If i used this cheaper alternative, people would say, "why is there duct tape everywhere" lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In a search for other solutions, I came across this little app:

http://www.cachya.com/esight/overview.php

Turned out easy to set up, just print the card and attatch to head. Best bit is that it can emulate many different kinds of output and map them to the axis of your choice. It's not free.. but it seemed pretty sharp. Demo is limited to one axis though which is a bit of a beast.

Lt. Commander Block: Every aerial photo and recon report indicate a defensive arsenal in the D, and perhaps negative C, categories. There's also some anti-aircraft squadrons.

Admiral Benson: I don't have a clue what you're talkin' about, Phil. Not a clue. I have a shell the size of a fist in my head. Pork Chop Hill. The only way I can make this toupee to stay on is by magnetizing the entire upper left quadrant of my skull, so you just go ahead and do what you do.

Well, you can always use your imagination to get rid of the duct tape.

For instance...

A webcam with the IR "filter" on doesn't require to look like in the picture on the site of FreeTrack, you can make the mod inside the camera most of the times... is all about adding a small piece of film inside it. It wont see anything but IR.

Then the hat... You use an ugly hat for TIR right? :D So, all you have to to is to conceal the wires of the four IR leds, which IMHO is simple given the fact that most hats are made from fabric and have 2 layers of it. You have to use your sewing skills a little.

Put a small battery on the back of the hat, if necesarely make a fabric pocket for it and nobody will noticed that you realy are ET... unless you go with the thing outside in a bus for example :) .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

New version 2.0!

I have to pull out this old thread.

Long ago I had tried the 1.0 version of FreeTrack and have to admit that I was really unhappy with the use of it:

-Poor performance

-very jumpy

-After making it smoother: unacceptable delay in the motion

-Many bugs with the controls of the webcam

-Poor Gui

-Uncomfortable editing of .ini-files

Last month i had already decided to buy a TrackIR 4 because i had to get 6DOF and than I remembered this thread and checked the FreeTrack page again.

What can I say-

-New version

-Discussion forum in English

-New,very improved Gui

-performance is very increased

-I don`t need an IR filter for my Logitech IM Cam

Everyone who was also disappointed about it should check it out again!

I'm now very happy with it (I'm not the person who is easy to satisfy!).

So I spend 6€ in Leds instead of 160€ for a TrackIr4 !

Alone this should be a argument for trying it out again (don't forget the fun and proud when you put the leds together an you see that your handicraft work works really well :)).

Homepage:http://freetrack.online.fr/

Hey Naturalpoint -Watch out!

I uploded a FreeTrack Tutorial on http://www.virtual-jabog32.de.

Download(29,3 MB.zip):http://www.virtual-jabog32.de/index.php?section=downloads&subcat=37&file=793

VideoGoogle Stream:

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-3492050077577759556&hl=de

Great news URZE! The new UI rules!

Can you tell me what exact model you have of webcam? I had 2 quasi failed attempts of building a freelook/freetrack system due to a bit expensive/features-full webcams that simply were "too good" for the job. Since you are very happy with yours I think I'll try one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I looked at free look a couple years ago before I bought my TIR3. Very nice work I have someone who going to try this out nice work once again.

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

:megalol::thumbup: That's a real bad ass movie Urze! And informative. Thanks for the tip on the webcam...

I think when you press start in Freetrack it acts as a recording software and cause it has no sound it cancelled your mic but, it was OK anyway. Great ending :D .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-Be sure you follow the instruction manual of freetrack properly.

-follow my feetrack tutorial for your webcam setup.

-visit http://freetrack.online.fr/forum/index.php?showtopicgroup=8&page=3 to search/ask for help

Here you can download a 4point Setup file for LockOn (rightclick and save)

http://links574.free.fr/freetrack/profiles/lockon_4dot.fgp

Maybe it works also with a 3point and 1point setup -haven't tested it.

Than Run freetrack and minimize it. Dont forget to chose the right Profile- you can adyust all parameters in freetrack easily when you switch to FirstPersonView in the freetrack gui. (maybe you have to chose the proper .ddl file before freetrack starts if freetrack ask you for it.)

-start LockOn

If still nothing happens you maybe have to delete the track.ini in LockOn.

When all is adjusted well it should work like in this Video.

This is what I got so far:

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

Only 3 LED work cause the 4th is a loop wire. Apparently I will need to use 2 9V batteries or 2 8.4V accumulators cause th IR LEDs (in picture are normal LED) eat more than 1.5v and 20mA as I was hoping. I will have to go for 2.8V-3V and 50mA-100mA

This would be my worst case scenario:

wcswz2.jpg

I have another small problem with my Webcam... currently a Genius Look 316, cheap but a little poor quality (I Know Urze will say "I told you Logitech Quick Connect", :D ...I will, after I finish the LED assambly and at my next salary)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DIY 3 Point Clip for FreeTrack-video

DIY 3 Point Clip for FreeTrack:)

This video show you how you can built easily a 3 Point Clip for FreeTrack in 20 minutes.

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-5788390454421132360

Edit:

@zaelu

Can't give you more rep.- I'm really impressed by your creativity in building the head-tracker,:thumbup:!

Well, I just bought the shittiest webcam I could find and put together a LED on my cap to test, and thats really all I need for lockon anyway as it only supports 2 axis movements

picture of my extremely hard assembly can be found here

The results ingame are quite pleasing, I havent tweaked with the settings yet for max performance but overall it works quite well!.

.. now I just need to get used to flying with it... :joystick:

The community newbie

http://winsbydefault.com/pics/dctf1ibxh7.gif

Replace this image! It's too big! © Administration

(max size: 150pix height, 50kb)